Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Genius2013

bigpink wrote: »
    Look up Establishment on TripAdvisor very suspicious reviews all in last month or so.The staff being mentioned by name as being amazing and people with only one review

Best Shisha in the world.
    5.0 rating on Tripadvisor
    How is this place so quiet everytime I pass then????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

Dodgy and not just the reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Dodgy and not just the reviews

Can you back up that statement I've eaten in there and I thought it was very good. To call a place dodgy and not post any proof is a smart alecy statement at the very least

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Can you back up that statement I've eaten in there and I thought it was very good. To call a place dodgy and not post any proof is a smart alecy statement at the very least

The amount of businesses ran in the same premises/others in the city by the group,all of which which have very quickly closed, and re branded as something else, is sufficient evidence of, at minimum, not wonderful practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Is Angry Burger on Deliveroo the same crowd? Lowest rated place on there.

• Advertisement

yup as was funky donuts/brimstone/other iterations of that building
    also some ties to the crafty fox 'experiment'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Yes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Read the trip Advisor reviews

bigpink wrote: »
    Read the trip Advisor reviews

Then read the reviews on Google, doesn't really match up!

Do a bit of digging and you'll see how many Trip Advisor accounts that face 5 stars have never reviewed any other restaurants!

Then read the reviews on Google, doesn't really match up!

Do a bit of digging and you'll see how many Trip Advisor accounts that face 5 stars have never reviewed any other restaurants!

a reply on one of them "I personally would never judge a place that has only opened like that as we do have some teething problems as all new businesses do"

As if the business hasn't been opened years and everyone knows it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Just had a look. Amazing how it is all 1st reviews by people who know the employees my first name. Fishy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Juat had a look. Amazing how it is all 1st reviews by people who know the employees my first name. Fishy.

Wasn't there a well-known former Limerick hotel caught out getting it's own staff to write bogus glowing TripAdvisor reviews a few years ago? I think I recall it getting some exposure on Joe Duffy's Liveline.

A common enough practise, I believe.

One place in Limerick used to offer a voucher (8-10 euro I think) for a Trip Advisor review.

One place in Limerick used to offer a voucher (8-10 euro I think) for a Trip Advisor review.

I was offered the deal of the century to write a decent Just Eat review for a pizza/kebab place here in Limerick not so long ago. They offered to upgrade my can of Club Orange to a bottle. Now, I prefer my fizzy pop beverage from a cold can like most sane humans so declined the bribe but did offer to give them a good review anyway providing their €4.99 pizza meal deal met my standards. It did not and they didn't get any review. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

shanmo wrote: »
    The establishment do kids eat free on Sunday.
    They can change the sign on that place as much as they like, it will never be good.

why..what was it called before?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Brimstone. Harris's. The Glasshouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I had food in there as Brimstone a couple of years back, I wish I was exaggerating when I said we waited over an hour to get our dinner served. It wasn't a busy evening at all, we didn't leave as I had heard good things about the food.

Absolute ****e, some burned goujons arrived out with disgusting sticky rice and a side of satay sauce. Refused to eat and left, I would never darken their door again no matter what name is above the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

I had food in there as Brimstone a couple of years back, I wish I was exaggerating when I said we waited over an hour to get our dinner served. It wasn't a busy evening at all, we didn't leave as I had heard good things about the food.

Absolute ****e, some burned goujons arrived out with disgusting sticky rice and a side of satay sauce. Refused to eat and left, I would never darken their door again no matter what name is above the door.

I've never eaten in there. I did go for s drink once last summer and sat in the outside area upstairs. It's such a pity it's ran **** because it has such a nice outside area upstairs. So much potential but I think the place is ruined now.
    Very hard to get rid of a bad name even if it does change ownership in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

CosmicFool wrote: »
    I've never eaten in there. I did go for s drink once last summer and sat in the outside area upstairs. It's such a pity it's ran **** because it has such a nice outside area upstairs. So much potential but I think the place is ruined now.
    Very hard to get rid of a bad name even if it does change ownership in the future.

I totally agree. When it was Harris, it was such a great bar. Really nice crowd, and the outside area was lovely. It's a pity they didn't stay open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

A couple of years ago when it was Brimstone, I tried to book a table a few weeks before Christmas for 4 people. It was going to be midweek, but I got a spiel of how they were so busy and I'd left it too late (this was the start of November)
    Eventually they told me they could 'squeeze you in' at 6pm, but we'd need to be out again by 6.30 as they'd need the table.

I had a good laugh, told them exactly what they could do with their reservation and hung up the phone.

Pretentious shower of assholes :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    I totally agree. When it was Harris, it was such a great bar. Really nice crowd, and the outside area was lovely. It's a pity they didn't stay open.

It did have a very "swingers club" vibe tho when it was Harris ;)
    Everytime I passed one of the glass bowls I felt like I should drop in my car key and see where the night went ;)

Its current and many previous iterations are a good example of what is known as a phoenix company ;)
    I'd love to have the capital behind me to somehow repeatedly fail, yet change name continue trading and change SFA about how I operate ;)
    Most failed businesses learn a few lessons before they start to trade again, not blunder on as previous.

banie01 wrote: »
    It did have a very "swingers club" vibe tho when it was Harris ;)
    Everytime I passed one of the glass bowls I felt like I should drop in my car key and see where the night went ;)

Its current and many previous iterations are a good example of what is known as a phoenix company ;)
    I'd love to have the capital behind me to somehow repeatedly fail, yet change name continue trading and change SFA about how I operate ;)
    Most failed businesses learn a few lessons before they start to trade again, not blunder on as previous.

To quote rhubarb Crumble you sound like a pretentious asshole. A real keyboard warrior badmouthing a business like that and no proof only guff

To quote rhubarb Crumble you sound like a pretentious asshole. A real keyboard warrior badmouthing a business like that and no proof only guff

And what do you propose to do about it?

Tell you what, prove me wrong and point to an example of one of their successful businesses?
    A time when any of the iterations of that premises under their ownership was actually a well regarded and successful business perhaps?
    When it didn't have to pad out its Trip Advisor reviews?

Or care to point out what I said is incorrect?

Or are you just going to resort to name calling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Hang on. I never said Banie was a pretentious asshole!

Hang on. I never said Banie was a pretentious asshole!

I know you didn't RC, our Brimstone fan was just paraphrasing poorly.

I know you didn't RC, our Brimstone fan was just paraphrasing poorly.

I.just used a phrase that rhubarb used. I do like that restaurant . I don't think it deserves the waffle you are spouting about it. . And I'm sure the staff wouldn't like the iterations you are spouting. I hate when a business that is trying hard to succeed and employing a lot of locals is trashed. Especially by someone like you

I.just used a phrase that rhubarb used. I do like that restaurant . I don't think it deserves the waffle you are spouting about it. . And I'm sure the staff wouldn't like the iterations you are spouting. I hate when a business that is trying hard to succeed and employing a lot of locals is trashed. Especially by someone like you

Someone like me?

What do you mean by that?

We know you like Brimstone, you keep posting about it.

I'll go with my opinion and the general consensus here regarding it however rather than your own ;)

I'm very happy to support good local businesses.
    I'm not so happy to bang on constantly about poor ones, and let's be honest...
    Look over the thread it's a poor restaurant.

Your taking the opinions of many of the people on here very personally...
    Or was it just the phoenix company reference that touched your nerve?

Someone like me?

What do you mean by that?

We know you like Brimstone, you keep posting about it.

I'll go with my opinion and the general consensus here regarding it however rather than your own ;)

As for proof, feel free to take a look at the company accounts, or those of their ( funny I almost said your!) previous companies.
    Including the debt judgements previously registered.
    All publicaly available info funnily, as are suppliers opinions and the notable lack of credit invoice terms extended of you'd care to talk to a few of the bigger ones.

I'm very happy to support good local businesses.
    I'm not so happy to bang on constantly about poor ones, and let's be honest...
    Look over the thread it's a poor restaurant.

Your taking the opinions of many of the people on here very personally...
    Or was it just the phoenix company reference that touched your nerve?
    I can genuinely say I don't now or ever owned as much as a fork in that restaurant. I genuinely like it. O know nothing about debt judgements against them. And I would not be the type of person that would look at their company accounts. That in itself says a lot about the type of person you are. What I will do is drop into the place and show the owners this thread and we can see what their opinion is on the muck raking. .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Exciting stuff.

• Advertisement

I can genuinely say I don't now or ever owned as much as a fork in that restaurant. I genuinely like it. O know nothing about debt judgements against them. And I would not be the type of person that would look at their company accounts. That in itself says a lot about the type of person you are. What I will do is drop into the place and show the owners this thread and we can see what their opinion is on the muck raking. .

Feel free, I still dont understand what your fascination with what type of person I am is?
    As for my use of solocheck, I have professional use of it as well as substantial hospitality experience and similar with suppliers.

You have in your last 3 posts, made 3 personal comments regarding me rather than the topic at hand.
    Why is that?
    You do realize that the standard on boards is to attack the post? Not the poster?
    If you, and I do mean you...
    Care to refute or rebutt anything that I or any other poster have said about the standard on offer in your seemingly favourite eaterie, please do!

Don't revert to asking for proof, and then cry foul, or accussations of mud slinging when it is precisely what you asked for.

I would also note, that as a matter of courtesy, I did edit my post to remove the reference to the previous judgement ;) albeit for one of their previous iterations.
    It seems however to have crossed with your own reply.
    Not that I'm worried about litigation or anything else for that matter, as the truth is quite sufficient as a legal defence.

So feel free to edit your quote, or not.

I'm surprised however that you would consider this thread, and the opinions many have shared as muck raking?
    In the 1st instance, information was supplied that you requested? When you dont like the answer. it becomes muck raking?
    I'd call it warranted criticism.
    Criticism that ever taken on board, could drastically improve the standard of fare and service on offer down there but has in my experience and funnily enough the experience of many others who posted on this thread!

Been consistently ignored, why improve when you can change name?

Advertisement