Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Alright, calm down, calm down!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Lads, are ye all hangry or something? Step away from the keyboard and cool down everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Morphious117

Explain DODGY.....??

Ok,

All of ye commenting on this thread. My name is Keith. I am the owner of Brimstone steakhouse now Establishment..! I have no problem answering any of your questions regarding my business..? I am a born and bread limerick man who has been in business in limerick for nearly 10 years. I have hired over 40 staff in this time ALL Limerick based. Yes i have made mistakes during that time, but never ever have I been dodgy. I have associated myself with DODGY people unknowingly and learnt from those mistakes. Maybe instead of criticizing local businesses support us and help us learn from our mistakes. I am not a money hungry business owner, i am in business to support my young family and the hard working staff that im also luck to call family.

Keith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I am getting the popcorn in now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Ok,

All of ye commenting on this thread. My name is Keith. I am the owner of Brimstone steakhouse now Establishment..! I have no problem answering any of your questions regarding my business..? I am a born and bread limerick man who has been in business in limerick for nearly 10 years. I have hired over 40 staff in this time ALL Limerick based. Yes i have made mistakes during that time, but never ever have I been dodgy. I have associated myself with DODGY people unknowingly and learnt from those mistakes. Maybe instead of criticizing local businesses support us and help us learn from our mistakes. I am not a money hungry business owner, i am in business to support my young family and the hard working staff that im also luck to call family.

Keith

All of which is great, and encouraging to support local is the point of this thread.

People commenting on this thread are simply giving their own experiences of visiting the business, and it’s previous Iterations, all of which are in the same premises and, from my knowledge, ran by the same people.

The name just seems to change when things go poorly.

Food is stayed the same, in the main and at least on a personal level I’ve never been blown away.

That’s all that the vast major on here are saying

Nothing overly personal on yourself/other staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

What is your opinion on the recent tripadvisor reviews on your business?

I must admit I've never been to Brimstone nor establishment so can't account for the food quality, I'll make it my business to go there in the next week and I'll write an honest take on it as I do on a regular basis in this thread. I'm all for supporting local and Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Ok,

Keith

Would you consider hiring better staff? Honest question here.

HI,

We have a new system in place that we encourage our staff to ask customers for a TripAdvisor review on there visit (Good or Bad), Constructive criticism is always welcome so we can improve. We offer an incentive to our staff and ask customers to give a name of who served them so at the end of each month we can reward whoever has gotten the most. Its fun, keeps staff on there toes. We have obviously stepped up our game from when we were Brimstone and changed the name only because we wanted to offer something different. BRIMSTONE was a restaurant ESTABLISHMENT is designed to be a venue where you can EAT DRINK CHILL. Not just a restaurant...! I hope this answers any doubts people may have on why reviews are going up so fast, never have we PAID customers or offered incentives to CUSTOMERS to put up reviews. Google reviews are not as popular as TripAdvisor, but if you do look since our TripAdvisor has started, all our Google reviews match.

Keith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

HI,

We have a new system in place that we encourage our staff to ask customers for a TripAdvisor review on there visit (Good or Bad), Constructive criticism is always welcome so we can improve. We offer an incentive to our staff and ask customers to give a name of who served them so at the end of each month we can reward whoever has gotten the most. Its fun, keeps staff on there toes. We have obviously stepped up our game from when we were Brimstone and changed the name only because we wanted to offer something different. BRIMSTONE was a restaurant ESTABLISHMENT is designed to be a venue where you can EAT DRINK CHILL. Not just a restaurant...! I hope this answers any doubts people may have on why reviews are going up so fast, never have we PAID customers or offered incentives to CUSTOMERS to put up reviews. Google reviews are not as popular as TripAdvisor, but if you do look since our TripAdvisor has started, all our Google reviews match.

Keith

When are you going to improve the standard of service and food? Both were utterly abysmal the time I was there...

• Advertisement

Hi Rocket,

Staff are your business, they are the front line, most of our staff are here 5-6 years. You cant buy loyalty. We continually try and up skill our staff with growing trends, but with the big money companies, I.E House, who we cant financially compete with, they can lose money for weeks on end and the banks will payroll them. We are a small family run business who support local companies and people.... I love seeing all the new businesses opening in limerick and being here 6 years shows we run a good clean business. Obviously we dont tick everyone's boxes but thats the business we are in everyone has personal tastes, just because you like a steak done one way, doesn't mean is not nice another way.

Keith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

When are you going to improve the standard of service and food? Both were utterly abysmal the time I was there...

Not to mention the attitude problem that the majority of the staff seem to have.

Phileas,

Abysmal, very strong word..! I will point out what i said in my last comment, personal taste is someones given right. We are not always perfect and definitely have our off days. But as a whole we have received great reviews on our staff and food. But when we receive constructive criticism we try our best to rectify it immediately. No point being keyboard warriors and complain when you leave, lets us know where you (in your opinion) we went wrong and we MAY be able to fix it.

Keith

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Ok,

Keith

Keith I mean this in the spirit of you continuing to operate and grow successfully.

Your friend Mr Fitz, hasn't really done you any favours.
    If you scroll back over the entire thread, and the references to the previous iterations of the business you will see that there is a very broad swathe of posters, myself included who have been in a few times find the same level of service and food standards.

It is quite often a fault of Irish restaurant customers in particular that they seldom complain at the point of service, then we/they bitch on the internet ;) rather than raise the issue at the time.

I am glad that you have one voice on here extolling the virtue of your premises. However wrong many others on here feel he may be.

It does have quite a lot going for it.
    Location and decor in particular.

On the other hand, apart from my 1st few visits back when it was Harris's, I have been disappointed in each return and have not been in there since the most recent name change.

The waiting, the generally poor service, more hit and miss than outrightly bad and the from my own experience of Dining with any more than 4 in a group.
    What I can only assume are line issues in the kitchen where whilst the food is all served at the same time, the amount of time spent under warming lamps by some of the dishes served was very noticeable.

You have obviously got great faith in your business, and that is a fantastic attribute to have.
    Couple that with your premises, the views from your terrace and what is genuinely good bar you have a great foundation.
    I honestly do wish you great and continued success down there, and small changes will bring you that.

Banie,

Location has and will always be our biggest problem, because we are that bit outside the town, we have to offer/change up more than others to attract attention. Thank you for your kind words and every bit of constructive criticism will help us change those few small things to get it right.

Keith

Keith, I'd agree your location has its challenges but it is a lot better as a night out option than it was in the early years. So quite often it was likely to be given a miss as there was no easy transit to a different venue.

A few years ago there was your place, then it was either a trip up town to Clohessy's or up towards Denmark st or down the Dock rd to Dolan's.

In the last couple of years the options closer to you for people to drink or eat in have come on hugely and that's the competition that I'd be pitching myself at.

McGettigans, House, 101 and the many options there and even the Glent Tavern and whatever Tom and Jerry's has become after its refurb ( really nice pub interior in there now)
    With the opening of the Hanging Gardens, and the already fairly large amount of Offices in your immediate area, that is the competition I'd be pitching myself against if it was my place.

You may not be able to compete on price, and IMO it's not always the best path to take.
    But a few high quality lunch dishes for daytime, some prosecco or beer offers for evenings, or a cocktail special on a weekly basis like ladies night or something.
    I'd do similar with the restaurant menu itself, 80% of your sales are likely coming from 20-25% of your menu, I'd look at paring the menu down to take advantage of that and then push a rotating special when something good pops up from the supplier.

My own hospitality experience is primarily bar based, years of successful experience overseas.
    I still fell on my arse in my bar in Limerick ;) the crowd here is fickle and it's hard to build a loyal following and even harder to rely on one.

Look at what you feel your competition is, in your case most likely McGettigans and House and focus on what you can do better than them and do that.

@Keith, not really related to any of the other things said on here but!

Well done on coming forward and addressing what we have said on this thread.
    I really do appreciate it, it's a sign of great integrity and willingness to get it right IMHO.

It's quite easy for many of us to post here with a cloak of anonymity, without worrying about being doxxes or similar (That said it would take only local of 5 minutes probably to do that to most of us ;) )

Its very refreshing to see a business owner come and be open both about the challenges they are facing and what they are doing to address those.

Well done, it's appreciated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Yes well done
    I’ve only ever had a drink there twice on a very sunny day so can’t comment on food
    You have to let your TripAdvisor happen naturally not forced

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Carriage House Adare Manor

We've had breakfast here a couple of times over the last month, the setting is very nice & after breakfast you can ramble around the grounds & up to the Manor itself so it can be a couple of hours if you wish.

Obviously as it's a 5* resort you're going to pay a bit more but the prices aren't outrageous, cheapest breakfast item is the Bakery basket, plain croissant, chocolate croissant, raisin danish at €6.00, the most expensive is the Carriage House Breakfast, two eggs, bacon, sausage, pudding, mushroom, tomato, tea or coffee at €16.00

The Carriage House Breakfast is the only breakfast item that includes one cup of tea or coffee, if you choose any other breakfast item & want tea or coffee it's extra, an americano will set you back €4.75 for example

Tap water is free & readily available, you will be offered bottled still or sparkling, that will set you back €3.50 for 350ml

We like the breakfast menu, food is good & service is pleasant, dress code seems to be smart casual, it's not a stuffy environment

All in all, very nice but if there are two of you & you like a couple of small enough cups of coffee with your breakfast, the bill soon mounts up

On the coffee, it clearly states on their menu that tea or coffee is served with the Carriage House Breakfast so is included in the €16.00, Adare has confirmed this to me via email, on both occasions I ordered this & the coffee was added to the bill as an extra so just something to watch, don't know if it's a case of the staff not understanding the menu or what the issue is, I didn't notice it the first time but brought it to their attention the second time & the bill was adjusted immediately with no fuss

I can see us going out there a few times a year for breakfasts, as a treat maybe the odd lunch or dinner too for a special occasion.

https://www.adaremanor.com/carriage-house/

No bother at all, i was only made aware of this thread this morning, not on Boards. I am an honest person who wants to see every business in limerick succeed. And have been a mentor to many young business people over the last few years. I will keep supporting local and always try my best to give the customer what they want. Just a side note to some people who commented here, i have no affiliation with any other businessmen in Limerick, left someone into my HOME (Bimstone) once and never again. Thanks to all and enjoy the Limerick win....

Keith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Hi Rocket,

Staff are your business, they are the front line, most of our staff are here 5-6 years. You cant buy loyalty. We continually try and up skill our staff with growing trends, but with the big money companies, I.E House, who we cant financially compete with, they can lose money for weeks on end and the banks will payroll them. We are a small family run business who support local companies and people.... I love seeing all the new businesses opening in limerick and being here 6 years shows we run a good clean business. Obviously we dont tick everyone's boxes but thats the business we are in everyone has personal tastes, just because you like a steak done one way, doesn't mean is not nice another way.

Keith

I'll have steak anyway and most likely won't complain as long as its tasty.

As I said above, I was in Brimstone once for food and waited close to 2 hours for my meal, when it did arrive it was absolutely inedible ****e. Burnt goujons, sticky disgusting rice and a side of satay(presumably microwaved from a few days earlier). It was genuinely, the worst dining experience I've ever had in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭shanmo

I was the one who originally mentioned The Establishment, in response to another poster asking about a good restaurant for families. I recommended it firstly because I enjoy the food there, secondly because I think its good value (the set dinner and lunch menus) and lastly because I think it's good for families (especially on Sundays when kids eat free).

After that, a plight of negative messages ensued, targeting not only the restaurant but the owners. In my opinion, it was more of an attack on the owners than a discussion of the food and service in the end (although that was discussed too).

I also used to frequently visit funky donuts. A place I was sad to see close. My understanding for the closure here was competition due to the likes of shack, a smart move as they have greater economies of scale.

I think they have been wrongly tarnished and this kind of stuff puts undue and unfair pressure on the business and their owners. To judge a place on a few negative reviews when they strive to improve is unfair. To further judge its owners, for continuously trying to make their business work or having to accept defeat and change tact is even more unfair.

If you don't like a place, you don't like it but please be careful as your words can be detrimental and in many cases, as I believe in this case, unfairly so.

In my opinion, The Establishment are striving to make things work and I've only ever seen passion from the owners, that deserves credit. Its not an easy market to be in.

I will continue to dine there, as will others I know and I'll recommend it too.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

34opjo.jpg
    Well done on coming in to post Keith, it looks like you've had plenty of suggestions from the Boards.ie focus group. You can't buy that. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Lads in work decided to go to the Establishment for lunch. Burger is really good and nice small amount of chips to go with it. Very tasty. Is 5 euro the going rate for a pint of Guinness these days?

Service is a bit slow, and the place wasnt exactly busy. Was waiting about six minutes to pay, had to go upstairs and grab the attention of the server.

Would probably go there again. Could be a decent spot in the evenings with the sun! Nice pint of Guinness too tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I have to say, the owner coming on and replying to fairly strong criticism with such a level head last week made me much more likely to give the place a spin. It should be a great spot for a pint on a sunny evening alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

keane2097 wrote: »
    I have to say, the owner coming on and replying to fairly strong criticism with such a level head last week made me much more likely to give the place a spin. It should be a great spot for a pint on a sunny evening alright.

Establishment has struggled with its identity. It should be thronged on a day like today with that side of the river being a real sun trap. I always thought for a place like this, they should really simplify their food and have a smaller casual menu that they can do well. Have a few lite bites that go well with drinks, and then do easy food like burgers, wings, caesar salad, nachos, fish n chips, lasagne, maybe even pizza. Keep the menu small but do it well. Make it a real casual place where people can hang out and grab a bite, but not pay a fortune. The brimstone and even now establishment menu is still very 'restaurant'. With that type of food, excellence is required because you are then competing on another level. If people are spending €20-30 on a main course, you will go to Freddies, Cornstore or The French table. If the food and service isnt top notch when you are paying a lot for it, then you wont go back. With a bigger menu, you are putting pressure on the chef that might not be capable.

Cobblestone Joes has been a roaring success concentrating on pizza. Sure they do a few other things, but pizza is 90% of their food and they do it well. People will flock there for pizza and pints, and they stay and hang out.

keane2097 wrote: »

A lot of that criticism was from me ;)
    And I must say, as I said earlier on this thread.
    The openness, honesty and level head shown has really encouraged me to pay a trip back in there soon enough.
    I'm always happy to be wrong, and I do hope that Keith and Co can really make a success of what now, given the amount of "captive" day time trade that is coming on line within just a few hundred metres...
    Could really be a roaring success with the right menu and approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Great suggestions from damowill above. They should keep to the simple handful of options. If they are going for the House type market, they need to focus on the smallest things though. Where I was sitting there was a fixture hanging from the ceiling, some of the window blinds were broken, and lick of paint might not go astray on the internal doors etc. Find a style and stick with because there seems to be a mismatch of designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I haven't made it to Establishment just yet but I will. I was in Papaz Bistro today, the southern fried chicken pitta was, as usual, brilliant. It occurred to me today, I literally have never ordered anything else in the place. I don't know if that is a good thing or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Had lunch in the westward ho, mungret, over the weekend.
    Very nice. A cut above usual pub food.
    About €15 average for a main.

Advertisement