Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Has anyone been to Findlaters? What's it like? Not the seafood bar part, the other restaurant/menu. Have a friend coming to stay in a few weeks and looking for someplace nice because let's just say she's fussy .....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Has anyone been to Findlaters? What's it like? Not the seafood bar part, the other restaurant/menu. Have a friend coming to stay in a few weeks and looking for someplace nice because let's just say she's fussy .....

Go there regularly enough with work colleagues, the main part does a bit of everything, they have a deli counter for sandwiches and salads, a carvery counter (actually very nice), they also do fresh pizza and pasta. I can't speak for the pasta but the pizza is very nice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Haven't been there for dinner yet, but the breakfast is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

source wrote: »
    Go there regularly enough with work colleagues, the main part does a bit of everything, they have a deli counter for sandwiches and salads, a carvery counter (actually very nice), they also do fresh pizza and pasta. I can't speak for the pasta but the pizza is very nice.

What are the sandwiches like? Hard to get a place around that does sandwiches with good quality ingredients and a choice of breads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Treepole wrote: »
    What are the sandwiches like? Hard to get a place around that does sandwiches with good quality ingredients and a choice of breads.

Just had a lovely sandwich in Bobby Byrnes this minute.

• Advertisement

Treepole wrote: »

Is the one thing I I haven't tried, but I've not heard any complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

source wrote: »
    Is the one thing I I haven't tried, but I've not heard any complaints.

have you been to their Grill Room?

damowill wrote: »
    have you been to their Grill Room?

Nope, just the main daytime part.

It's the evening we'd be going, but saw their set menu and it doesn't look bad.

It's the evening we'd be going, but saw their set menu and it doesn't look bad.

Ah my mistake, still, worth checking out for lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Can anyone recommend a restaurant that does decent lobster? I had it in the hamptons a few weeks ago but it was only on their daily specials board so not available every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

What’s people’s opinion on the milk thistle?

I’ve heard absolute rave reviews around limerick so I said I’d check it out. The food was grand, the service was below par. One lovely lady behind the counter and one that couldn’t acknowledge me whatsoever even when paying.

Can anyone recommend a restaurant that does decent lobster? I had it in the hamptons a few weeks ago but it was only on their daily specials board so not available every day.

I had it in the Cornstore a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

I had lunch in Mama Lee's last week. It was really nice, big portions and reasonably priced! Nice to have a new option for lunch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Had Donkey Fords last night we had visitors from America deffo not as nice as years ago.Chips tastless very overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

bigpink wrote: »
    Had Donkey Fords last night we had visitors from America deffo not as nice as years ago.Chips tastless very overrated

I don't get the ravings of these types of chippers. They pretty much all taste the same. Don't get the hype at all.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    I don't get the ravings of these types of chippers. They pretty much all taste the same. Don't get the hype at all.

Enzos and Luigi’s the chips are lovely and tasty

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I treated myself to cod, chips and a few sausages from Donkey's for my lunch on Monday and thought they were gorgeous. Can't go in expecting Michelin Star food when you're getting fed for €6 like!

I treated myself to cod, chips and a few sausages from Donkey's for my lunch on Monday and thought they were gorgeous. Can't go in expecting Michelin Star food when you're getting fed for €6 like!

Oh I agree but had it last night and the chips were tasteless not a patch on Enzos or Luigi’s
    Do they still do fresh fish?My mother went in to get it

Second that. Enzo's and Luigi's are the only chippers in town worth going too.

Tony's in Raheen is pretty good too. Very consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Pizza Max had amazing chips any time I had then. McAris in Annacotty are also very good, never disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Golden Grill on William St. also very good

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Golden Grill on William St. also very good

Best chips in town imho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Mixed Grill in Enzo's is my go-to dish. Bloody lovely.

Yeah Donkey Fords was very poor
    Tasteless chips and the fish the batter was heavy and greasy not crisp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Tasteless chips :pac:

The only way chipper chips could be tasteless is if there was no salt/vinegar on them.

As promised earlier in the thread, I gave establishment a go this week. Initial thoughts, not bad at all but I doubt I'll hit back. The menu was hugely varied, almost too much choice. I reckon if it was diluted down to a few core dishes it would help. We decided to share a starter of nachos which were very tasty but came with no guacamole. The very nice waitress said it was meant to be taken off the menu a few weeks ago but they hadn't gotten around to it, so they had no guacamole. Fine I says, if a little odd.

Next came the mains, a breaded chicken thing with mash and chips. Tasty to be fair if a little overdone but not enough to complain about. Her fajitas were good but it was as if they came with a chinese-esque sauce not unlike oyster sauce. Strangely she was given mayo in place of sour cream which was odd seeing as the nachos had a ramekin of sour cream 5 mins earlier. A request for sour cream was met with a smile and a prompt return. That said she enjoyed them so no complaints neccessary.

Overall, it was decent, good pub grub rather than restaurant fare a la Hamptons or the like. I couldn't in any way complain really but I doubt I would go in again in place of many other places in town such as the Curragower or similar for similar money. Our bill was €50 or so which I thought was a little steep, seeing as I paid €47 for 4 lunches with soft drinks in H&L today.

How the funk do Starbucks get away with charging for the absolute pig swill they call coffee. It is simply dire. It tastes like the coffee my Nespresso machine makes when you forget to take a used capsule out and put in a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

How the funk do Starbucks get away with charging for the absolute pig swill they call coffee. It is simply dire. It tastes like the coffee my Nespresso machine makes when you forget to take a used capsule out and put in a new one.

Because of hype and clever marketing. Their coffee is terrible but people buy it because its "cool". Also their special coffees eg. pumpkin spice latte - hide the taste of their terrible coffee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Was in the green yard cafe the other day. Nice spot to be fair. Only had a light bite so look forward to trying something else there. It's a nice space with handy parking.

As for chips...enzos for me. Yum.

Advertisement