Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Headed into Mama Lee's for a cod & chip today on foot of the good reviews here. The place was pretty crowded when I got there at 1pm.

Had a lengthy wait for the food as the two staff were run off their feet with full tables.

I wasn't in any particular hurry so happy enough to wait. The food was very tasty though, when it arrived, and the lady serving was very apologetic about the delay. I said 'no problem' and when I was finished and paying, she offered me a dessert on the house by way of compensation which I thought was a lovely touch.

I enjoyed an apple pie & ice-cream, thanked her and left, promising to return.

It was a grand experience and I'll call there again. Prices seem very reasonable and the menu looks good. I hope they do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Comhra wrote: »
    Headed into Mama Lee's for a cod & chip today on foot of the good reviews here. The place was pretty crowded when I got there at 1pm.

Had a lengthy wait for the food as the two staff were run off their feet with full tables.

I wasn't in any particular hurry so happy enough to wait. The food was very tasty though, when it arrived, and the lady serving was very apologetic about the delay. I said 'no problem' and when I was finished and paying, she offered me a dessert on the house by way of compensation which I thought was a lovely touch.

I enjoyed an apple pie & ice-cream, thanked her and left, promising to return.

It was a grand experience and I'll call there again. Prices seem very reasonable and the menu looks good. I hope they do well.

Is this where El Toro used to be?

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Is this where El Toro used to be?

I believe so. Same address anyway according to Google, 4 Henry St, Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Had a spice bag in Wok to Go in Ballinacurra yesterday to try and take the edge off the hangover.

I haven't had a spice bag before so I have nothing to compare it to but I thought it was pretty bland. Not much flavour and very little veg, I think i counted three pieces of green pepper. Twas enough to put you off the drink for fear that you would make such dubious culinary choices again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Tim76 wrote: »
    Had a spice bag in Wok to Go in Ballinacurra yesterday to try and take the edge off the hangover.

I haven't had a spice bag before so I have nothing to compare it to but I thought it was pretty bland. Not much flavour and very little veg, I think i counted three pieces of green pepper. Twas enough to put you off the drink for fear that you would make such dubious culinary choices again.

Did you get a side sauce? It's the kind of thing you need something on the side with.

• Advertisement

Did you get a side sauce? It's the kind of thing you need something on the side with.

My portion of spring rolls came with a side of sweet & sour but even that couldn't save the day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Canteen in Parkway do a nice spice box(takeaway carton). Though i usually just get the chicken on its own (or get it as a main, with fried rice or noodles and a carton of their general tso's sauce)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Not sure when, but the Ballintemple Inn in Newcastle West was taken over by the same person who runs Davey Mann's Hotel in Rathkeale.

First and foremost don't expect to see any of the undesirables that you might see in Rathkeale.
    Secondly, their food is superb.
    Been there twice recently and got Turkey and Ham each time, and not only is it good value for money but you get a great feed. They do a desert menu but you'll have to Ask for it.

Its definitely superior to the Longcourt Hotel, who after 18 months in business still haven't ironed out the kinks in their food.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Not sure when, but the Ballintemple Inn in Newcastle West was taken over by the same person who runs Davey Mann's Hotel in Rathkeale.

First and foremost don't expect to see any of the undesirables that you might see in Rathkeale.
    Secondly, their food is superb.
    Been there twice recently and got Turkey and Ham each time, and not only is it good value for money but you get a great feed. They do a desert menu but you'll have to Ask for it.

Its definitely superior to the Longcourt Hotel, who after 18 months in business still haven't ironed out the kinks in their food.

Plenty of 'undesirables' in every town.

He's also had it for about 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Plenty of 'undesirables' in every town.

He's also had it for about 3 years.
    Sorry meant to say I wasn't sure how long it had been done up with, because it looks great too. Had a function there not too long ago too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Went to Coqbull over the weekend and had to be rolled out of the place. Top quality grub that came along quickly after we had ordered. And the service was top quality, each member of staff couldn't help us enough, with one lad even coming back to fix our wonky table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Has anyone been to Findlaters? What's it like? Not the seafood bar part, the other restaurant/menu. Have a friend coming to stay in a few weeks and looking for someplace nice because let's just say she's fussy .....

Went the other night. It was grand but nothing amazing. Wouldn't be too pushed about going back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

We had breakfast in Hook and Ladder Sarsfield Street this morning and I have to say I couldn't be more disappointed! It seems to be way over hyped!! We both had pancakes which were dry and doughy with the barest drizzle of maple syrup. Extra maple syrup was charged for. They couldn't serve americano coffee or tea as their water boiler was broken. I could order a cappuccino was also wasn't great and at €3.35 for a regular sized cup I felt a bit robbed. Can't see us returning any time soon!

I had lunch in the Greenhills Hotel last Sunday.

Good old-fashioned roast beef, mashed spuds & veg. and I have to say it was excellent.

Proper mashed potato - not instant mash, piping hot too and the beef was just
    perfect.

They've upped their game quite a bit in recent times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Skuxx wrote: »
    We had breakfast in Hook and Ladder Sarsfield Street this morning and I have to say I couldn't be more disappointed! It seems to be way over hyped!! We both had pancakes which were dry and doughy with the barest drizzle of maple syrup. Extra maple syrup was charged for. They couldn't serve americano coffee or tea as their water boiler was broken. I could order a cappuccino was also wasn't great and at €3.35 for a regular sized cup I felt a bit robbed. Can't see us returning any time soon!

Charged extra for maple syrup is so tight, would put me off a place.

Tried Copia Green in Castletroy, surprised at how nice it is. Staff were excellent, nice decor, easy parking, and a small yet varied menu.

Was in the Green Yard for brunch again over the weekend.

Food was lovely but our poached eggs were a little over done. It was like they had been left under a heat lamp for too long and the yokes had started to solidify which was disappointing.

Greg from Love Island was in there though so at least the missus was happy with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Ventured down to Bia for breakfast this morning.

Quite busy down there, particularly given the Saturday market but we were seated straight away.
    Attentive service which is always a plus and a carry over from the French Table.

I had the Full Irish, which at €10 is a bit more than I would usually pay.
    The extra cost can be seen on the plate though IMO.
    Especially with regards to the bacon, exceptionally good IMO.
    Everything well cooked and presented in a homely style.
    I would have loved extra sourdough toast however, one slice just feels a little stingy.

My better half had the Eggs Benedict on Boxty.
    She really enjoyed it, the Hollandaise sauce in particular was nice, quite zesty and very light for what is often an overly rich sauce IMO.

All in all, really good breakfast, excellent service and only let down in the grand scheme of things by the price.
    It is on the high side compared to its competitors and tea/coffee wasn't included with breakfast so that was an additional expense.

€10 isn't outrageous for a full Irish once the ingredients aren't the usual pallas muck. Good value if it include tea and coffee.

€10 isn't outrageous for a full Irish once the ingredients aren't the usual pallas muck. Good value if it include tea and coffee.

As I said, it doesn't.
    I wouldn't call a breakfast at €10 including tea/coffee good value but, if it had included it, at least it could be easier justified.
    Forking out an additional €3.50 on top of the cost of breakfast for tea for 2 makes it far less of a value proposition IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Coill1

Had the full Irish at Bia recently, & agree the extra(?) you pay counts for quality produce on the plate. I thought the ingredients were above par, really tasty(rashers were a bit streaky for me, but we all have our preferences I guess).
    Reckon it's worth the extra 2/3 euro for what you get, I'd certainly return for more..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Where can you get a decent breakfast around the place for seven or eight euro?

Coill1 wrote: »
    Had the full Irish at Bia recently, & agree the extra(?) you pay counts for quality produce on the plate. I thought the ingredients were above par, really tasty(rashers were a bit streaky for me, but we all have our preferences I guess).
    Reckon it's worth the extra 2/3 euro for what you get, I'd certainly return for more..

As I said in my review, the quality of the produce really does stand out.

My only issue is that pitching against breakfast around town, albeit of lower quality that are priced in and around €8 including tea/coffee when Bia's including Tea/Coffee is actually €12 at a minimum is not a value proposition.
    They will do well, and in fairness I will certainly be back there. I thoroughly enjoyed the food and the price isn't a deal-breaker for me, however it does bear at least acknowledgement that their €10 brekkie is actually €12 as who orders a hot breakfast without a beverage?
    Quite rare IME.

keane2097 wrote: »

Story Cafe for one, but plenty of places around town at similar price point altho some won't like the Pallas supplied places.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Supermacs to a “good” breakfast for cheap including a tea/coffee.

The good is in the quantity over quality.

The Buttery does a very good fry for a 10er and includes tea

Supermacs to a “good” breakfast for cheap including a tea/coffee.

The good is in the quantity over quality.

The Buttery does a very good fry for a 10er and includes tea

I couldn't imagine myself sitting down in Supermacs on a Sunday morning to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I couldn't imagine myself sitting down in Supermacs on a Sunday morning to be honest!

Ah I’ve only went in there before work on a Saturday rather than going in somewhere and waiting half an hour before getting a menu.

It does the job.

banie01 wrote: »
    Story Cafe for one, but plenty of places around town at similar price point altho some won't like the Pallas supplied places.

That's actually one place I still have yet to try.

Incidentally I somehow paid €33 for breakfast for two in the Green Onion the other week. I've sang the praises of the place previously but I was stunned at that to be honest. It was pretty terrible too. One sausage on the plate and then to charge like €12 for it is very off-putting. My own fault for not looking at the price in advance I suppose but certainly left there with a sour taste.

That's actually one place I still have yet to try.

Incidentally I somehow paid €33 for breakfast for two in the Green Onion the other week. I've sang the praises of the place previously but I was stunned at that to be honest. It was pretty terrible too. One sausage on the plate and then to charge like €12 for it is very off-putting. My own fault for not looking at the price in advance I suppose but certainly left there with a sour taste.

I love the green onion but it is woefully expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Coill1

Yep - Supermacs is surprisingly good! (Have attempted to cure a few sore heads there) & as you rightly say it does the job. €7.95 which includes your bewleys americano makes it good value imho.
    Ah I’ve only went in there before work on a Saturday rather than going in somewhere and waiting half an hour before getting a menu.

It does the job.

• Advertisement

I love the green onion but it is woefully expensive.

Yeah look whatever about anything else I'd imagine most people would be disappointed with the breakfast. It's a very miserly portion for what you pay.

I've had some great sandwiches in there though and their coffee is good to my fairly untrained palate.

On a more positive note I had a really, really good lunch in Harry's in the Absolute Hotel last weekend. I had heard good things about the place but this was my first time getting around to visiting and I will absolutely be back.

Advertisement