Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

keane2097 wrote: »
    Yeah look whatever about anything else I'd imagine most people would be disappointed with the breakfast. It's a very miserly portion for what you pay.

I've had some great sandwiches in there though and their coffee is good to my fairly untrained palate.

On a more positive note I had a really, really good lunch in Harry's in the Absolute Hotel last weekend. I had heard good things about the place but this was my first time getting around to visiting and I will absolutely be back.

Nice ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭jjoconoor

Skuxx wrote: »
    We had breakfast in Hook and Ladder Sarsfield Street this morning and I have to say I couldn't be more disappointed! It seems to be way over hyped!! We both had pancakes which were dry and doughy with the barest drizzle of maple syrup. Extra maple syrup was charged for. They couldn't serve americano coffee or tea as their water boiler was broken. I could order a cappuccino was also wasn't great and at €3.35 for a regular sized cup I felt a bit robbed. Can't see us returning any time soon!

Sounds exceptionally unfortunate that their boiler broke over a weekend! €3.35 is also the normal for a cappuccino! Head up the road and Starbucks is shy of €4! In relation to charging for maple syrup it is understandable to be fair but if you didn’t get enough to begin with then maybe not! Whenever I’m in there it’s alawsys nearly full so I suppose consistency seems to be an isdue! Was in their place in Dooradoyle and found it to be very good to be fair!

I’m looking of r a nice little hidden gem for breakfast myself, don’t care about cost to be honest! A little peace and quiet is more sought after! Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Freddy's Bistro,

Was there last night for the first time in years, couple of observations, the menu from memory hasn't changed much if at all, business seemed good, plenty of people coming & going

We both enjoyed the food, all plates were cleared, 2 X starter, mains, dessert & coffee €75.00, no drinks as we had a couple beforehand & were going for more after

Didn't leave thinking that it was amazing but it was certainly good quality and tasty

We headed up to No.1 Perry Square for a couple of drinks afterwards, they have very nicely converted a wine store, store room, bedroom & toilet on the ground floor into a new long lounge, a nice place to sit & have a quiet chat / drink, also food available from their restaurant Sash upstairs,the original Park Room bar area is currently undergoing a refurbishment

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

To be fair I was in H&L the other day in Shannon and it was very good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭zimmermania

jjoconoor wrote: »
    Sounds exceptionally unfortunate that their boiler broke over a weekend! €3.35 is also the normal for a cappuccino! Head up the road and Starbucks is shy of €4! In relation to charging for maple syrup it is understandable to be fair but if you didn’t get enough to begin with then maybe not! Whenever I’m in there it’s alawsys nearly full so I suppose consistency seems to be an isdue! Was in their place in Dooradoyle and found it to be very good to be fair!

I’m looking of r a nice little hidden gem for breakfast myself, don’t care about cost to be honest! A little peace and quiet is more sought after! Any suggestions?
    Workshop in Eastway near the NCT centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Workshop in Eastway near the NCT centre.

Why is that the only place you ever reccommend?

Green Onion on Rutland street is decent if expensive. The Green Yard in Punches is very good too. My wife had breakfast in Bobby Byrnes lately and she said it was fantastic, they have really upped their game. I see the story cafe mentioned too, it is good but we don't go in as the proprietor shouting and roaring is very off putting.

Why is that the only place you ever reccommend?

Green Onion on Rutland street is decent if expensive. The Green Yard in Punches is very good too. My wife had breakfast in Bobby Byrnes lately and she said it was fantastic, they have really upped their game. I see the story cafe mentioned too, it is good but we don't go in as the proprietor shouting and roaring is very off putting.
    It is not the only place i reccomend but it certainly is good,i only get up there about once a month and always find something new to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Copia Green in Castletroy also does nice breakfasts and their menu is interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Had lunch twice in Ballyseedy Cafe last week. The first time i went i got the Vol-au vents and i must say they were delicious.
    The 2nd time i went i got the pork steak with a little mashed potatoe and some gravy and there wasn't much on the plate. They also gave me out a bowl of "turnip puree" (mashed turnip) I mean a full bowl of it. I was not impressed and I did mention it to the waiter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

eljono wrote: »
    Copia Green in Castletroy also does nice breakfasts and their menu is interesting.

I would second this, only recently discovered it and it's one of my go-to places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Whereabouts is Copia Green?

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Whereabouts is Copia Green?

Same building as Travel Lodge in Castletroy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Same building as Travel Lodge in Castletroy
    Ah right, same place as Cafe Noir. It's funny, I'd never classified that area as Castletroy in my mind, don't know why.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Ah right, same place as Cafe Noir. It's funny, I'd never classified that area as Castletroy in my mind, don't know why.

Perhaps because it was always called Groody.The Groody river which is more difficult to see now than it was years ago runs on the city side of the cafe. I remember when kids used to swim there only a a couple of hudred yards from the main road.
    The river is the actual boundary so the building that houses Cafe Noir is in Castletroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Perhaps because it was always called Groody.The Groody river which is more difficult to see now than it was years ago runs on the city side of the cafe. I remember when kids used to swim there only a a couple of hudred yards from the main road.
    The river is the actual boundary so the building that houses Cafe Noir is in Castletroy.

I know this is going off topic but, the groody is very definitely on the Castletroy side of the building between it and the petrol station.

source wrote: »
    I know this is going off topic but, the groody is very definitely on the Castletroy side of the building between it and the petrol station.

I was trying to sayou that everything to the right of the Goodyear river as seen from the road is Castletroy.

source wrote: »

I was tryng to sayou that everything to the right of the Groody river as seen from the road is Castletroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Any recommendations for Thai food in Limerick?

pajoguy wrote: »

Lana Castletroy is my favourite of all the local Lanas

Zo Zabb or Aroi would be your best bet. Lana are gone fairly poor IMO. Camile has been ok anytime I've been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭shanmo

Zo Zabb or Aroi would be your best bet. Lana are gone fairly poor IMO. Camile has been ok anytime I've been.

Swcond Zo Zabb for authentic Thai. Don't rate Camile.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

Zo Zabb by far the best. Camille is good if looking for something quick on the go. Last few experiences of Lana have been terrible. Bland, rushed and tasteless.

Surprised by the comments on Lana. We regularly go to the Castletroy branch and find it consistently good. Even when we came back from Thailand last year, we commented on how authentic some of the dishes are.

The Lana on O'Connell St. we've tried 2/3 times and found it a little below par.

eljono wrote: »
    Surprised by the comments on Lana. We regularly go to the Castletroy branch and find it consistently good. Even when we came back from Thailand last year, we commented on how authentic some of the dishes are.

The Lana on O'Connell St. we've tried 2/3 times and found it a little below par.

The restaurant they closed to open up the O'Connell Street one was 10 times better (Kaya).

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

The Lana in Raheen is great. Don't know about the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭RINO87

The restaurant they closed to open up the O'Connell Street one was 10 times better (Kaya).

jesus yeah kaya was class... there was a really good thai up above the glen at the same time, king thai I think

...anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭boetstark

jjoconoor wrote: »

The milk thistle in mungret college is a gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Myself and herself had breakfast in Ma's Kitchen at the Milk Market this morning. Have to say I was very impressed. Nice menu, food was good quality and tasted great. The coffee was gorgeous.
    I can't remember if it's been mentioned on here before but we'll be back for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Coill1

Great coffee at Ma's kitchen. I had lunch there a few times & was almost rolled out, generous portion sizes!
    Great value food & pleasant staff. (I must return & try out the Malaysian curry)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Tried out Copia Green over the weekend. The food was great, but the service was terrible. The place was reasonably quiet with plenty of staff on, but it still took over 30 minutes for breakfast to arrive. I'm pretty sure that the couple beside us just got up and left due to the wait.

Advertisement