Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

shanmo wrote: »
      Nom or the shack for doughnuts?

Nom are locally ran and bake their donuts in Ballysimon.

Shack, are they from Cork i think so deliver to the Limerick franchise every morning.

I've tried both, Nom are much fresher and tastier imo, the staff are friendlier and its also nice to support Local!!

1. Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

shanmo wrote: »
      Nom or the shack for doughnuts?

Boston Donuts in Barrons on the Dock Road are much nicer and fresher!

2. Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭shanmo

damowill wrote:
      Shack, are they from Cork i think so deliver to the Limerick franchise every morning.

damowill wrote:
      Nom are locally ran and bake their donuts in Ballysimon.

damowill wrote:
      I've tried both, Nom are much fresher and tastier imo, the staff are friendlier and its also nice to support Local!!

Really? I knew they had a place in Cork too but I assumed they still made the ones for Limerick fresh in Limerick.

I'm all for freshness, taste and supporting local so I'll try NOM today!

Thanks!

3. Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The funny thing with Shack is that they sell the same doughnuts in different places, but tailor the names to suit the locality. The red velvet doughnut is sold as Rebel Red in Cork. :D

4. Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭SupraSonic26

The red velvet doughnut the best imo but none them come close to krispy kreme, they all have too much douhgy bread in them but each to their own. ive tried all the places in limerick noms is freshier shack variet tiny bit better, boston at barrons was ok.

5. Advertisement
    6. Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭shanmo

Did a taste test. Got one Mars donut from the shack and one from NOM. IMO, the shack one was better. The NOM one was a bit heavy and the filling in the shack one was nicer.

7. Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Thinking of trying La Piccola - do they do pizzas, pasta dishes etc on weekends? Their menu online isn't very clear.

8. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
      Thinking of trying La Piccola - do they do pizzas, pasta dishes etc on weekends? Their menu online isn't very clear.

Deffo a restaurant that’s crying out for a makeover
      Seems to have a good reputation tho but for a restaurant on O Connell needs some work

9. Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

What about Da Vincenzo? I'm just looking to try an Italian that isn't Bella Italia for the missus' birthday.

10. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

What about Da Vincenzo? I'm just looking to try an Italian that isn't Bella Italia for the missus' birthday.

It’s good but very busy atmosphere
      Try Tuscany or the new place Rossi’s

11. Advertisement
    12. Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

bigpink wrote: »
      It’s good but very busy atmosphere
      Try Tuscany or the new place Rossi’s
      Good shout on Tuscany. Have never been in the one in town.

13. Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Tuscany at the Granary in fairness is an absolutely stunning setting for a restaurant. Unfortunately when I was there a couple of weeks ago I found the mains fairly bland.

Not terrible or anything but definitely quite 'meh'. I'll happily give it another couple of chances though as the place itself is just lovely, the starters were pretty good too as I recall.

14. Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'd try a few more places before heading there, been less than impressed with them the last few occasions I was there.

They certainly find it hard to cope with a big group in one sitting.

15. Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭shanmo

Definitely recommend Rossi's. Nice options and good food.

16. Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Had breakfast this morning in H AND L Sarsfield st.I ordered the "mini munch" with tea and my companion ordered an Americano,two sausages and toast.

The food was well presentened and looked nice when it arrived,however we both agreed that the sausages were fairly bland but the real surprise was the bacon.It looked good but lacked any flavour whatsoever.

The place was busy but if our experience was anything to go by it may not stay like that.
      Mine was priced ok,€7.95 for 1 sausage,two pieces of bacon,two pieces of pudding,1 egg,1 piece tomatoe,1 piece sourdough toast plus €2.60 for what the receipt calls "irish tea" €10.55 in total.
      My companions bill on my receipt reads;1Americano €3.15 1 portion sausages (2) €2.50
      1 portion toast (two small sourdough slices) €2.65; total €8.30 which is probably a little steep for coffee,toast and an Americano.

Iam not likely to be going back.

17. Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Had breakfast this morning in H AND L Sarsfield st.I ordered the "mini munch" with tea and my companion ordered an Americano,two sausages and toast.

The food was well presentened and looked nice when it arrived,however we both agreed that the sausages were fairly bland but the real surprise was the bacon.It looked good but lacked any flavour whatsoever.

The place was busy but if our experience was anything to go by it may not stay like that.
      Mine was priced ok,€7.95 for 1 sausage,two pieces of bacon,two pieces of pudding,1 egg,1 piece tomatoe,1 piece sourdough toast plus €2.60 for what the receipt calls "irish tea" €10.55 in total.
      My companions bill on my receipt reads;1Americano €3.15 1 portion sausages (2) €2.50
      1 portion toast (two small sourdough slices) €2.65; total €8.30 which is probably a little steep for coffee,toast and an Americano.

Iam not likely to be going back.

They've been open in sarsfied st since late 2014 and they've never been as busy. They must be doing something right.

18. Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭zimmermania

CosmicFool wrote: »
      They've been open in sarsfied st since late 2014 and they've never been as busy. They must be doing something right.

I have no doubt they are doing a lot right and they always seem busy. A week ago i tried to get to get breakfast in the Castletroy branch and there was a bunch of people lined up outside waiting to be seated so i went to another place.

What i posted may have been a one off and i will probably give Castletroy a shot sometime in the future though i still think the price for the two sausages coffee and toast was a bit steep.

19. Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

I have no doubt they are doing a lot right and they always seem busy. A week ago i tried to get to get breakfast in the Castletroy branch and there was a bunch of people lined up outside waiting to be seated so i went to another place.

What i posted may have been a one off and i will probably give Castletroy a shot sometime in the future though i still think the price for the two sausages coffee and toast was a bit steep.

I saw the queue and went next door to Bella Italia. Was never a big fan of the one in the city, but I was very impressed. Staff were nice, food was very good and the coffee was up there with the nicest I've had in Limerick. 2 breakfasts and 2 coffees for €22.

20. Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

The Castletroy branch is grand, very expensive and the staff are normally run off their feet. We wouldn't go back in a rush.

On one occasion, we ordered two sandwiches and two coffees. The coffees arrived well after the sandwiches did and we paid close to 30 euro for the lot. I had to literally put my arm out to stop someone to ask for some water for the table even though every other table was getting water when they sat down. I just think it's a poor sign when you have to flag someone down to get a glass of water - they ran off as soon as we had ordered two plates of food and two coffees, didn't ask if we would like anything else when ordering or when delivering the food.

If you're hungry, I'd suggest driving less than 5 minutes to Tuscany in Newtown to get a main course for a few euro more than we were paying for a sandwich.

21. Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

If never walk into a place where you have a queue or if it's look super busy. You'll always be disappointed and the food will never be to expectations.

Had breakfast in the new ballyseedy cafe in the Co-op in raheen. Was nice. Had breakfast with tea/ coffee and toast for €11. Wasn't to rave about but was perfectly fine.

22. Advertisement
    23. Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kokiyou

Does any place in Limerick do a good Chinese Hoi Sin crispy duck w/ pancakes for 4-ish people?

24. Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Milanos could be in trouble. Their parent company are talking with liquidators

25. Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Mc Love wrote: »
      Milanos could be in trouble. Their parent company are talking with liquidators

I saw that today. Pizza Express. I think they're a bit expensive for a chain really. They're cheaper in the UK though. I go over to a friend in the north of England quite often and I've noticed the difference.

26. Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I saw that today. Pizza Express. I think they're a bit expensive for a chain really. They're cheaper in the UK though. I go over to a friend in the north of England quite often and I've noticed the difference.

Decent if you sign up for their rewards in fairness. Not a hope would I pay full whack though.

27. Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Decent if you sign up for their rewards in fairness. Not a hope would I pay full whack though.

No. Definitely too much when paying full price, like most of the pizza places really, though Dominos had an offer on a couple of weeks ago "Any pizza, any size, €10 collection"
      A Texas BBQ may have found its way home with me :D

28. Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

No. Definitely too much when paying full price, like most of the pizza places really, though Dominos had an offer on a couple of weeks ago "Any pizza, any size, €10 collection"
      A Texas BBQ may have found its way home with me :D

Dominos used always do a large pizza plus garlic bread “collection special” for 13 euro which was really good value. It’s up around 15 now

29. Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Dominos used always do a large pizza plus garlic bread “collection special” for 13 euro which was really good value. It’s up around 15 now

They used to be a lot more generous with the dips too before. They'd give you 2 or 3 of them. Nowadays it's 1 and 1 only and pay for any extra.

30. Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Was in there last week in the Crescent and payed nearly €20 for a pizza! I better look into these rewards.

Pizza was delicious though, La Calabrese, roman style base with 'nduja sausage and lots of other tasty toppings. Will be back again if they're still around.

31. Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I wonder if any of the folk who were left high and dry and owed thousands when Instore closed bother supporting H & L ?

32. Advertisement
    33. Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Not sure if anyone knows this but Lui's on Fr. Russell road do two meals for 10 euro. So two snack box meals or a snack box meal and a kebab meal for 10, including two drinks...and the food there is fantastic.

Advertisement