Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Went to the Green Yard for dinner on Saturday night. Delicious food as always.

I had the burger and the missus had falafel. Best burger I’ve eaten in a long time: high quality beef cooked to perfection, lots of toppings and tasty sauce in a lightly toasted brioche bun served with fries. Couldn’t fault it and will def be back for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Had a very poor experience with Poppadom recently have been going there at least once a month for 10 years but will be going elsewhere now.

Ordered a take away for collection, arrived was the only person waiting got a feeling something was up as the manager was giving one of the counter staff a serious roasting in the kitchen.

After 10 minutes a woman arrives in with a bag of food goes to the counter, manager takes the bag, gives her another bag and gives me the bag of food she came in with and says sorry woman got the wrong order.

I pointed out that other customer had the food at least 15 minutes and I was not taking it, he argued the point she only took the food away and didn't open it so it was fine.

He then offered to make everything again, it will only take 2/3 minutes as we make extra each time, which I am sure was code for I am going to put it in another bag in the kitchen and give you the same stuff again.

I asked for a refund and left at this point I was wondering what other poor standards they have if they think it's ok and no issue to pass food around like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Tim76 wrote: »
    Went to the Green Yard for dinner on Saturday night. Delicious food as always.

I had the burger and the missus had falafel. Best burger I’ve eaten in a long time: high quality beef cooked to perfection, lots of toppings and tasty sauce in a lightly toasted brioche bun served with fries. Couldn’t fault it and will def be back for more.
    Would also recommend The Green Yard for breakfast/brunch. Good, varied menu which is reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Would also recommend The Green Yard for breakfast/brunch. Good, varied menu which is reasonably priced.

Currently living abroad in a pork free country and a friend put a pic of his poached eggs, hash and black pudding on instaface. Got some serious envy and homesickness thrown in for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Living local so i go in there a bit, the food is always great, the only issue I have is they haven't touched the menu since opening. No change whatsoever. It's not a deal breaker and it won't stop me going but it would be nice to see things changed up after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

kilburn wrote: »
    Had a very poor experience with Poppadom recently have been going there at least once a month for 10 years but will be going elsewhere now.

Ordered a take away for collection, arrived was the only person waiting got a feeling something was up as the manager was giving one of the counter staff a serious roasting in the kitchen.

After 10 minutes a woman arrives in with a bag of food goes to the counter, manager takes the bag, gives her another bag and gives me the bag of food she came in with and says sorry woman got the wrong order.

I pointed out that other customer had the food at least 15 minutes and I was not taking it, he argued the point she only took the food away and didn't open it so it was fine.

He then offered to make everything again, it will only take 2/3 minutes as we make extra each time, which I am sure was code for I am going to put it in another bag in the kitchen and give you the same stuff again.

I asked for a refund and left at this point I was wondering what other poor standards they have if they think it's ok and no issue to pass food around like that.

We used to go there once a week nearly for a long time, my friend is a milk delivery driver and warned me off it. Never ate there again.

Always found a horrible smell in there, not sure if it’s still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭shanmo

Personally, I find spice of India, which is now under the Bambu restaurant name, to be the best in town. Great 3 course menu for €18 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Mogul > Everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭lazyman

Curry House in the South Court is a great option too for Indian food

Went to the Buttery Sunday morning early, couldn’t get in, place was packed and there was a waiting list at the door. Went around the corner to Mama something or others where Apache pizza used to be. Food was good, price was fine, about 21 euro for both of us including tea.

She has a hankering for Buttery so we were both off today and went in. It’s the last time I’ll be there. I was there about 2 months ago and the food was poor. I thought today the food was worse and to add insult to injury, they’ve upped their prices by about 30 percent.

The fry that was a tenner is now ten for half the amount of meat. If you want to “double” your meat it’s an extra 3 euro. So 13 for a fry and a mug of tea.

Half and half pancakes french toast is now 12 plus three for bacon, so 15 quid.

All in all we left over 30 quid behind us for a basic breakfast for two. And it was rotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭shanmo

She has a hankering for Buttery so we were both off today and went in. It’s the last time I’ll be there. I was there about 2 months ago and the food was poor. I thought today the food was worse and to add insult to injury, they’ve upped their prices by about 30 percent.

The fry that was a tenner is now ten for half the amount of meat. If you want to “double†your meat it’s an extra 3 euro. So 13 for a fry and a mug of tea.

All in all we left over 30 quid behind us for a basic breakfast for two. And it was rotten.

I find the buttery very over rated and they just aren't accommodating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Went to the Buttery Sunday morning early, couldn’t get in, place was packed and there was a waiting list at the door. Went around the corner to Mama something or others where Apache pizza used to be. Food was good, price was fine, about 21 euro for both of us including tea.

The fry that was a tenner is now ten for half the amount of meat. If you want to “double” your meat it’s an extra 3 euro. So 13 for a fry and a mug of tea.

The Buttery is the epitome of "style over substance". All marketing bluster and bull****, but there's obviously a legion of Insta hunzos who fall for that kinda thing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I was in Cork over the weekend and must say the restaurant and bar scene down there leaves Limerick in the shade.

Between Oliver Plunkett St, and let's say Washington St...
    The town is vibrant, busy plenty of cafés, restaurants and bars all busy and some really exceptional.

I ate dinner in a Michelin starred restaurant, and had breakfast in a greasy spoon within a 100 yards of each other.
    The range and number of places to eat puts Limerick places shame!
    Particularly when it comes it to queue management and customer service in the cafés.

The Buttery is the epitome of "style over substance". All marketing bluster and bull****, but there's obviously a legion of Insta hunzos who fall for that kinda thing

You put it much better than I could in far less words.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

banie01 wrote: »
    I was in Cork over the weekend and must say the restaurant and bar scene down there leaves Limerick in the shade.

The town is vibrant, busy plenty of cafés, restaurants and bars all busy and some really exceptional.

I ate dinner in a Michelin starred restaurant, and had breakfast in a greasy spoon within a 100 yards of each other.
    Particularly when it comes it to queue management and customer service in the cafés.

I think thats harsh, limerick has some great places to eat but unlike places like Cork and Galways, its all spread out over a bigger area

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The town is vibrant, busy plenty of caf restaurants and bars all busy and some really exceptional.

Particularly when it comes it to queue management and customer service in the caf

It's great for Cork to have a Michelin Star restaurant in the city centre but tbf it's only one and it's only there barely a year. It's not like there's one on every second corner, and if you happen not to like sushi it wouldn't be much good to you anyway (not a problem for me)!

No fantastic fine dining experiences in the city centre (are there any in Cork City Centre?), but the East Room is deservedly in the Michelin Guide. There are plenty of decent quality cafes and restaurants in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Ate in Bambu - former Spice of India the other day - and my stomach nearly imploded. Word of warning to anyone with gluten intolerance. They are obviously cutting corners as onion bhajis and madras should NEVER have wheat in them.

Also, the grove, I am going off it. Not for the food but for the staff. Commenting on my parenting and also arguing with me that a cous cous covered item was gluten free.

The owner's mother is a wicked gossip anyway and caused my relative major stress and pain in the past. Never going back.

keane2097 wrote: »
    It's great for Cork to have a Michelin Star restaurant in the city centre but tbf it's only one and it's only there barely a year. It's not like there's one on every second corner, and if you happen not to like sushi it wouldn't be much good to you anyway (not a problem for me)!

No fantastic fine dining experiences in the city centre (are there any in Cork City Centre?), but the East Room is deservedly in the Michelin Guide. There are plenty of decent quality cafes and restaurants in Limerick.

I'd totally disagree with the plenty.
    I eat out a lot in Limerick, and there are some really good restaurants.
    We are a long way off plenty however.

Service is also an issue far more regularly than it is elsewhere IMO.

I gave a small portion of Cork city centre and the fare on offer as an example.
    If one was to expand the area further, Limerick again comes out 2nd best.
    In particular with regards to the actual numbers in the city centre.
    Cork city centre last Sunday morning was incredibly busy.
    Lots of people, lots of shops open and lots of variety.

Using Cork as an example, the area I gave in my earlier post could well be considered as a bar/restaurant district for want of a better description.
    It's not the only one down there, you also have the area around Cornmarket at and Bodega with the Rising sons brewery and other eateries and bars.

Limerick has some lovely restaurants, French Table, Freddie's immediately spring to mind as does the 1826, and the Mustard seed.
    Limerick also has some nice bars, 101 complex and the Commercial immediately spring to mind.

What Limerick doesn't have is anything approaching the range, variety and quality of eateries available in the city centre.
    It doesn't have the footfall to sustain them either, and unfortunately that's a self fulfilling circle of failure.
    Without the people one can't access the funding to build or improve, without the funding one can't attract the people.

It's probably a conversation for the Limerick improvement thread but the dearth of quality residential accomodation in the city centre certainly IMO plays a part in this and that falls squarely at the feet of the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Using Cork as an example, the area I gave in my earlier post could well be considered as a bar/restaurant district for want of a better description.
    It's not the only one down there, you also have the area around Cornmarket at and Bodega with the Rising sons brewery and other eateries and bars.

Limerick has some lovely restaurants, French Table, Freddie's immediately spring to mind as does the 1826, and the Mustard seed.
    Limerick also has some nice bars, 101 complex and the Commercial immediately spring to mind.

What Limerick doesn't have is anything approaching the range, variety and quality of eateries available in the city centre.
    It doesn't have the footfall to sustain them either, and unfortunately that's a self fulfilling circle of failure.
    Without the people one can't access the funding to build or improve, without the funding one can't attract the people.

It's probably a conversation for the Limerick improvement thread but the dearth of quality residential accomodation in the city centre certainly IMO plays a part in this and that falls squarely at the feet of the council.

Completely agree. I mean the medieval quater is an absolute joke and the fashion area too. Limerick city could be so much better.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Completely agree. I mean the medieval quater is an absolute joke and the fashion area too. Limerick city could be so much better.

It really could but they do nothing to help it and refuse to let the suburbs grow. Castletroy itself is huge and they recently refused planning to extend the Casteltroy town centre.

• Advertisement

L-M wrote: »
    It really could but they do nothing to help it and refuse to let the suburbs grow. Castletroy itself is huge and they recently refused planning to extend the Casteltroy town centre.

If you could explain to me how letting the suburbs grow, will revitalise and energise the city centre?
    I'd appreciate it greatly.

A huge part of the problem that Limerick City Centre has is that for far too long development outside the centre was prioritised.
    This led to zero development in the city centre, particularly with regard to planned urban renewal, modern development and in particular residential and retail.

I fail to see how allowing an expansion in Castletroy will have any benefit in improving footfall or range and quality of retail or food offerings in the city centre?

CosmicFool wrote: »

The fashion quarter and it's branding is a retailer initiative AFAIK.
    But I agree, the range of shops in the city centre is quite limited and its telling in particular for menswear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Also, the grove, I am going off it. Not for the food but for the staff. Commenting on my parenting and also arguing with me that a cous cous covered item was gluten free.

Jesus that's shocking behaviour

If you could explain to me how letting the suburbs grow, will revitalise and energise the city centre?
    I'd appreciate it greatly.

A huge part of the problem that Limerick City Centre has is that for far too long development outside the centre was prioritised.
    This led to zero development in the city centre, particularly with regard to planned urban renewal, modern development and in particular residential and retail.

I fail to see how allowing an expansion in Castletroy will have any benefit in improving footfall or range and quality of retail or food offerings in the city centre?

Sorry I think you miss read my post (Or else it wasn’t clear)

I meant that the city isn’t growing, but all they’re doing is stopping planning for things outside the city in the suburbs. They have nothing to actually benefit the city.

They need to do more than hinder the suburbs to improve the city. I always try and go to the city centre on days off.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

Cork city cant be compared to Limerick - it has 3 times the population in a city centre broadly similar in size. Also the area you refer to is the golden mile - it is the route from the city centre to the college and is a gold mine for any business on it. Cork also has a lot more tourists visiting than we have here in Limerick - there a few reasons but this has been discussed at length on here before. Same arguments are made for Galway over Limerick and again discussed to death here in the past. Hopefully thr rugby museum and the location of the UL building will help change things in our city centre , which in my opinion has been slowly getting a lot better over the past 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Ate in Bambu - former Spice of India the other day - and my stomach nearly imploded. Word of warning to anyone with gluten intolerance. They are obviously cutting corners as onion bhajis and madras should NEVER have wheat in them.

The owner's mother is a wicked gossip anyway and caused my relative major stress and pain in the past. Never going back.

I like the food from the Grove but that's unacceptable behaviour from them. Major black mark against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭moby2101

Had dinner with friends in the Carriage House oh n Adare Manor last night. My first time driving out there at night in the dark. SIGNAGE is appalling.

Aside from the lighting etc...

Food was exceptional...

Service was excellent also, really informative sommelier and wait staff.
    Best steak I've had in a while

Definitely 4☆

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

I too was in Adare last night but in the Blue Door and was disappointed to be honest. Food was nothing special.

I had a goats cheese salad with beetroot and walnuts for starters which was just boring. For mains I had a rib eye steak with pepper sauce with roast potatoes and one mushroom. The steak and sauce were pretty bland and the steak was rare even though I asked for it medium. Desert was a pannacotta.

I honestly feel I could have cooked better at home myself. My first and last time there. When I eat out I really want to be served food that I wouldnt be able to cook at all (or as good) at home myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭djdunny

Jane98 wrote: »
    I too was in Adare last night but in the Blue Door and was disappointed to be honest. Food was nothing special.

I had a goats cheese salad with beetroot and walnuts for starters which was just boring. For mains I had a rib eye steak with pepper sauce with roast potatoes and one mushroom. The steak and sauce were pretty bland and the steak was rare even though I asked for it medium. Desert was a pannacotta.

I honestly feel I could have cooked better at home myself. My first and last time there. When I eat out I really want to be served food that I wouldnt be able to cook at all (or as good) at home myself.

You should have gone to 1826 instead :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Mc Love wrote: »
    Milanos could be in trouble. Their parent company are talking with liquidators

i've never been....are they worth a visit? say compared to pizza hut?

Advertisement