Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Hey folks, I'm coming back down to Limerick over the break after not being around much the last year. Thinking of heading somewhere outside my usual trifecta of Cornstore/The French Table/Freddie's (honourable mention to Hampton's) and looking for recommendations for a good 3 course lunch/dinner. Been thinking about trying The East Room but it seems a little too fancy for my plan of just wandering in some day over the break.

Also, if there's been any other savage lunch spots opened recently I'm willing to trade recommendations from the big shmoke.

They're still the best spots to eat in Limerick. I'd recommend Hamptons though. I love Esquire for lunch. Prices aren't too bad and food is always great. Coffee is really good too.
    Can't go wrong with Woodfields on the Ennis road either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Esquire is one of my faves but a southern fried chicken pitta from papaz bistro is the best lunch in town in my book.

Esquire is one of my faves but a southern fried chicken pitta from papaz bistro is the best lunch in town in my book.

Jesus how did I forget Papaz. Their beef stormed is my favourite there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Was in Turkmen Grill on Thursday with the young lad and had the Mixed Platter, which was lovely.

Can't wait to go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Was in Turkmen Grill on Thursday with the young lad and had the Mixed Platter, which was lovely.

Can't wait to go again.

It's a great spot. Big fan of their lamb chops. And their bean type side dish.

• Advertisement

It's a great spot. Big fan of their lamb chops. And their bean type side dish.

I'll try them next time, thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The restaurant in the Absolute hotel is well worth a visit

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭shanmo

mrsoundie wrote:

Do they do proper chilli sauce?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

shanmo wrote: »

Define please?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭shanmo

Define please?

One that actually has a bit of a kick and isn't overly tomato based.
    Kebab places here have a tendency to serve very mild tomato sauces as chilli sauce.

• Advertisement

They serve a chilli sauce that is mild and a lovely garlic mayonnaise.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

One that actually has a bit of a kick and isn't overly tomato based.
    Kebab places here have a tendency to serve very mild tomato sauces as chilli sauce.

Which is more in line with the kind of sauce you find in Turkey. The home of kebabs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭djdunny

Had the “moist maker” in Sambros today. I would highly recommend people to try it out before it’s gone. Serious feed. I know some people have an issue with the €10 price point but there’s almost enough food for 2 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Went to Da Vincenzo for the first time in a long time and was very impressed. Good service despite then being very busy, very good range of food and drink, and we were informed that the set menu included everything on the A La Carte, even seafood and steaks. The wine was excellent and the food was cooked to perfection. Definitely going to make another visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

We’re heading for Lana in Raheen and saw Off the Bone so said we’d chance it.

Christ it was poor. The winds which were 8euro were more sauce then chicken. The burger (one chicken one beef) were both poor. One of which was cold but we waited so long for the food we didn’t bother sending it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Is there anywhere open tomorrow for lunch?

Went to Sambros Xmas eve. Got the moist maker. I wasn't impressed with it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭banie01

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Went to Sambros Xmas eve. Got the moist maker. I wasn't impressed with it at all.

tenor.gif?itemid=5338678

On a serious note...
    I do really want to stop in and give them a try, having had a quick look at their menu the pricing and lack of "meal" pricing for a smdwich/side and drink really is off-putting IMO.

Petty and cheap I know, but the wallet especially at this time of year is a bit price sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

They do a daily special where it's soup and a sambo, I had it once, was good value, I think around €8

• Registered Users Posts: 6 104

Thought the Reuben with Pickle (euro extra) was very expensive at 10.75 and they forgot to add the pickle. Sandwich was average.

• Advertisement

I am only back in Ireland for a fortnight and even though I have a house and have lived in Limerick for 13 years I will only be there for a night while I'm home. I had intended hitting sambros for lunch, should I bother, seeing as it will be barely a flying visit and I have a hankering for visiting papaz for a southern fried wrap. I need to use my time wisely!

I am only back in Ireland for a fortnight and even though I have a house and have lived in Limerick for 13 years I will only be there for a night while I'm home. I had intended hitting sambros for lunch, should I bother, seeing as it will be barely a flying visit and I have a hankering for visiting papaz for a southern fried wrap. I need to use my time wisely!

Go to Papaz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Supermacs for a chicken fillet sandwich, garlic & cheese chips and a large coke. You know you want too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Supermacs for a chicken fillet sandwich, garlic & cheese chips and a large coke. You know you want too :D

Had that exact combo yesterday. You really can’t beat it

I'll be heading out Monday night as part of my visit, a super chip and a breast in a bun from the hut is on my list. I can have Supermacs anywhere I find myself before heading back but not that glorious gravy!

Go to Papaz.

I did. I did not regret it. I had a quick look in the window of Sambros at the menu and I was not enticed I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I had that sandwich a couple of days before you, it was very expensive but it was an outstanding sandwich,
    The Reuben was very disappointing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Anyone been to the Green Yard Cafe by Punches Cross at all? Got a (re-gifted) voucher for Christmas and having had a look at the menu, it just seems a bit underwhelming. Was thinking more evening that lunch, but maybe I'd be better off just going for a couple of lunches instead?

HINT: If you're going to re-gift someone, always remember to take the original name off the present .....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Anyone been to the Green Yard Cafe by Punches Cross at all? Got a (re-gifted) voucher for Christmas and having had a look at the menu, it just seems a bit underwhelming. Was thinking more evening that lunch, but maybe I'd be better off just going for a couple of lunches instead?

HINT: If you're going to re-gift someone, always remember to take the original name off the present .....
    One of few places in town I haven't heard a bad word about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Was there for breakfast today, decent irish breakfast but not amazing. Have had lunch a few times tho and always pretty good. Staff could be friendlier though would be the only criticsm. Enjoy.

Advertisement