Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

keane2097 wrote: »
    I can only imagine the garbage you'd have to be using to make money on a €6.90 pizza.

Pizzas are cheap to make

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

Casa nova is fantastic and consistent. It’s family run and they are so friendly and obliging with orders. I’ve been going there for years and it’s my favorite fast food/cafe type place in Limerick by a long shot.

Also, it was mentioned about the pizza being cheap in Casa Nova. Ireland, for some reason, seems to charge so much more for pizza than anywhere else I’ve ever been. Not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Pizza is probably the most profitable food, that and ice cream.

I make pizza at home it literally costs nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

The Buttery have a new system, at least they didn't have it last time I was there, where if there's a significant wait for a table you can leave your number, they text you a link to a website where you can check your estimated wait time, and then they notify you when your table is ready.

Handy, but when you're faffing around Bedford Row for 30 minutes the mind starts to drift around other places to eat. To cancel your table you just text them back SUPERMACS.

When we got in anyway I decided on the Huevos Rancheros, I have the worst luck with ordering food and things tend to go awry, so I figured there's no way they could make a hash of eggs and sauce on a tortilla.

Was served a cast iron pan filled with what can only be described as spicy eggy soup covered with nacho toppings. It was grand, but ended up a completely confused mess.

It's funny how liberal they are with toppings when you want something simple, but one of the lads ordered the breakfast and you'd have fit more into a breakfast roll. They also only include tea with it, if you want coffee go f*ck yourself, they charge you for a full one. No substitutions, no talking in line, no soup for you!

As always with the Buttery, more is less, and less is...less. They never seem to get portion sizes right so it's always a gamble whether you'll pay more and get less than the person sitting across from you. I'll never understand how the place is always packed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Apt8 wrote: »
    The Buttery have a new system, at least they didn't have it last time I was there, where if there's a significant wait for a table you can leave your number, they text you a link to a website where you can check your estimated wait time, and then they notify you when your table is ready.

Handy, but when you're faffing around Bedford Row for 30 minutes the mind starts to drift around other places to eat. To cancel your table you just text them back SUPERMACS.

When we got in anyway I decided on the Huevos Rancheros, I have the worst luck with ordering food and things tend to go awry, so I figured there's no way they could make a hash of eggs and sauce on a tortilla.

Was served a cast iron pan filled with what can only be described as spicy eggy soup covered with nacho toppings. It was grand, but ended up a completely confused mess.

It's funny how liberal they are with toppings when you want something simple, but one of the lads ordered the breakfast and you'd have fit more into a breakfast roll. They also only include tea with it, if you want coffee go f*ck yourself, they charge you for a full one. No substitutions, no talking in line, no soup for you!

As always with the Buttery, more is less, and less is...less. They never seem to get portion sizes right so it's always a gamble whether you'll pay more and get less than the person sitting across from you. I'll never understand how the place is always packed.

As a non Limerick native, it seems the locals here are very set in their ways. Many mediocre places are wedged, while newer restaurants with better quality food struggle. A few places are living in reputation alone at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭banie01

As a non Limerick native, it seems the locals here are very set in their ways. Many mediocre places are wedged, while newer restaurants with better quality food struggle. A few places are living in reputation alone at this stage.

Would agree, if there is a wait for a bang average café I'd rather go somewhere else than faff about with websites and wait times.

It isn't haute cuisine or fine dining in there in fairness.
    Plenty of other options in the vicinity too.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Dr. Steve Brule

I couldn't agree more with this. An example of this happening is Lana. I hear people rave about that place, yet having tried it a couple of times, I cannot understand why.

Then you have a place like ZoZabb, a five minute walk away, serving amazing Thai dishes. Way more authentic and priced very reasonably. It's like people don't want to walk 5 minutes up the road for much better quality which just amazes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Ah, it's the Instagram syndrome. People have to be seen to be at the "places to be", and the Buttery is a prime example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Ah, it's the Instagram syndrome. People have to be seen to be at the "places to be", and the Buttery is a prime example of this.

Sheep syndrome as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

I couldn't agree more with this. An example of this happening is Lana. I hear people rave about that place, yet having tried it a couple of times, I cannot understand why.

Then you have a place like ZoZabb, a five minute walk away, serving amazing Thai dishes. Way more authentic and priced very reasonably. It's like people don't want to walk 5 minutes up the road for much better quality which just amazes me.

Thing about zozabb. Is it's location,off the beaten track and then hidden away upstairs. It's kind of out of sight out of mind. I eat loads of Asian food but when I am in town I would rarely think of the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭djdunny

Not sure if this is the correct thread, so MOD please feel free to move.

There’s a site called firsttable.ie which gives you 50% off your bill in some of the restaurants in Limerick. You just pay a €6 fee.

The only catch (not really) is that the bookings are for the first reservation of the day (usually between 5pm - 6pm)

Tried Chippy Chicken last night, very impressed, simple menu executed very well. Some feed for 6 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Apt8 wrote: »
    Tried Chippy Chicken last night, very impressed, simple menu executed very well. Some feed for 6 quid.
    Where's that located? Haven't heard about it before..

Where's that located? Haven't heard about it before..

Denmark Street, same idea as Volcano Wings, pick chicken burger or loaded fries, choose sauce and toppings, I went with the chicken loaded fries with sriracha mayo and jalapenos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Ate in Coqbull in Castletroy recently won't be rushing back, small portions flavourless burgers and the service wasn't great. No comparison to the one in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

I took a trip into Turkmen for a kabab, I must say it was very good indeed, I'd asked for extra sauce on the kabab next time as it was a little light on it. This is my only, and small complaint...

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

sioda wrote: »
    Ate in Coqbull in Castletroy recently won't be rushing back, small portions flavourless burgers and the service wasn't great. No comparison to the one in town.

Been there about 5 times since it opened but havent had a bad experience yet although havent been in since before Christmas, my only complaint is the menu is smaller and they dont do draft beer but that's because the space is restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

The Coqbull in town is generally really good, especially the service. Not hugely surprised the Castletroy restaurant hasn't yet reached those standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

The portions have consistently been getting smaller in the one in town over the years. The Castletroy spot is a bit too pricy for what you're getting.

The food was very nice both times I ate there, but the service was a bit slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Found it the complete opposite myself.

Went over Christmas and again on NYE, found the service much better than I've ever experienced in town, and portion size was fine.
    Never overly enjoyed a visit to the one in town

The Filo Prawns were damn good too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Went to Vocano wings today....
    Has the buffalo wings, parmesan and garlic fries and a coke zero.... €11.50. For what I got it was good value I think. Buffalo wings(11no.) had just the right amount of heat. Great options for different sauces. Fries were good. Maybe a little more parmesan but thats being very picky.
    Also I found it a bit draughty in there. Think they have an issue with the door as the girl kept having to go and close it.
    Overall very good. I cant believe I havent been before.

I honestly think if you’ve eaten Curraghgower wings anything else is inferior in comparison.

I had those wings before and bar the sauce they’re like something you’d get in a deli

L-M wrote: »
    I honestly think if you’ve eaten Curraghgower wings anything else is inferior in comparison.

I had those wings before and bar the sauce they’re like something you’d get in a deli

Yeah I have had the curragower wings in the westward hoe. Same owners I think? They are the best ive eaten in this country to be fair. Really meaty. I thought the wings in Volcano were a few grades above deli wings.... I actually noticed more flat wings than drumette wings in fairness. The wings in Westward hoe are nearly €10 i think so I think Volcano is good value. Just an opinion.

Oh yeah to be fair all that for 11.50 isn’t bad value at all, it’s just I genuinely can’t get wings anywhere now from being spoilt by Curraghgower

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

+1 for the Curragower wings *chef's kiss*

The finest wings in all the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Had chippy chicken the other day. Have to say it was quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Curragower is overpriced food wise and a wee bit overrated for me. Wings in Cornstore, Woodfield, Finnegan's (same owner now?) better if not as good.

leakyboots wrote: »
    Curragower is overpriced food wise and a wee bit overrated for me. Wings in Cornstore, Woodfield, Finnegan's (same owner now?) better if not as good.

The one good thing about this "battle of the wings" is it shows there are some great options in Limerick thank god.....ðŸŒ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Definitely, was a big Curragower fan, not so much now but in fairness they raised the bar (wings-wise anyway). Find the place too expensive now for what you get - essentially pub grub.

That view though in summer...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

leakyboots wrote: »
    Definitely, was a big Curragower fan, not so much now but in fairness they raised the bar (wings-wise anyway). Find the place too expensive now for what you get - essentially pub grub.

That view though in summer...!

If they had a sun trap in the evenings it would rival the locke. Can't understand how the likes of house and establishment don't trade much on that benefit

Advertisement