Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

leakyboots wrote: »
    Curragower is overpriced food wise and a wee bit overrated for me. Wings in Cornstore, Woodfield, Finnegan's (same owner now?) better if not as good.

One time I had wings in Finnegan's that were 10/10. About 4 or 5 trips since then and they have been a disappointment every time - salty and bland.

I think Volcano would be my personal favourite as they have such a variety of sauces, including some proper hot sauces, way beyond the spice level of a buffalo sauce in a pub.

Funnily enough, Marco Polo do decent wings despite the rest of it being a disappointment. Aroi do matchstick chicken wings which are a slightly different eating experience but well worth a try (only a fiver I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

Had Sambros for the first time this evening. Burnt end poutine and the Southern Feels burger, absolutely blown away by it. I'd definitely go back just for the poutine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Apt8 wrote: »
    Had Sambros for the first time this evening. Burnt end poutine and the Southern Feels burger, absolutely blown away by it. I'd definitely go back just for the poutine.

I've walked past a few times over the last few weeks, I'm gonna have to drop in soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Ah lads the Hamptons wings blows away any place. Must try the curragower but from the pics they look grand nothing special compared to the uniqueness of Hamptons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Kilboor wrote: »
    Ah lads the Hamptons wings blows away any place. Must try the curragower but from the pics they look grand nothing special compared to the uniqueness of Hamptons

Haven't had their wings but I've been there a good few times and have never been impressed with the place.. there's always something that lets it down, but most of all the food rarely did it for me.its ok, but that's about all. Each to their own though.

Ps any suggestions for early Sunday morning breakfast in town...i.e. before 9?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

tototoe wrote: »
    Haven't had their wings but I've been there a good few times and have never been impressed with the place.. there's always something that lets it down, but most of all the food rarely did it for me.its ok, but that's about all. Each to their own though.

Ps any suggestions for early Sunday morning breakfast in town...i.e. before 9?

Horse and hound good breakfast and open at 8 I think, no beer till 12 though

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

We went to StoneOven in Caherconlish. My god, amazing food.

Probably one of the best pizzas I’ve had, and I eat a lot of pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Passed Volcano Wings at the weekend had to go in and pay the "wing tax"

Went for Gangnam Style for a change from the usual Buffalo option. They were very tasty, Korean hot sauce garnished with sesame seeds. Wings seemed a bit meatier than usual as well.

Had wood-fired pizza and cold Italian beer in Sextons later.

Great weekend! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭limerickabroad

Anybody got any recommendations for good food in Caherdavin, specifically near L.I.T.? I'll be out there for a few days next week, and don't particularly fancy eating in the student cafeteria there . . . Ideally within walking distance of L.I.T.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Anybody got any recommendations for good food in Caherdavin, specifically near L.I.T.? I'll be out there for a few days next week, and don't particularly fancy eating in the student cafeteria there . . . Ideally within walking distance of L.I.T.

Cheers!

Within a 10 min walk of LIT there is absolutely nothing other than shop deli's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

The Greenhills is a few minutes further away but I've always had decent food there.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Cheers!

The Woodfield on the Ennis road is your best bet.... good pub grub!

damowill wrote: »
    The Woodfield on the Ennis road is your best bet.... good pub grub!

Jeuss I completely forgot about the woodfields. Great food in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Javaninos over next to JFK school.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭limerickabroad

Cheers all. I've eaten in the Woodfield before. Good pub grub, as mentioned. Haven't tried Javinos, but will check it out . . .

Went to Sodalicous earlier. By god it was shocking. Portions are ****ing tiny. How is this place still going??? 2 small sausages, 2 rashers, 2 eggs and a fried tomato with some bread of choice for "the works" breakfast. €10.50. Absolutely disgraceful.

sioda wrote: »
    Javaninos over next to JFK school.

Eggs royale are outstanding in there, and a really nice selection of cakes and pastries. Only issue is parking which can be tight at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Went to Sodalicous earlier. By god it was shocking. Portions are ****ing tiny. How is this place still going??? 2 small sausages, 2 rashers, 2 eggs and a fried tomato with some bread of choice for "the works" breakfast. €10.50. Absolutely disgraceful.

Do they bake their own breads by any chance?

I'm looking for a bakery in Limerick that does decent baguettes, sourdoughs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

L-M wrote: »
    We went to StoneOven in Caherconlish. My god, amazing food.

Probably one of the best pizzas I’ve had, and I eat a lot of pizza.

Go there at least once a month, top notch pizza

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

The Old Quarter have revamped things a bit. It's now 3.50 for a double espresso in there which is a bit much. A large Americano is 3.20, isn't an espresso usually cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Apt8 wrote: »
    The Old Quarter have revamped things a bit. It's now 3.50 for a double espresso in there which is a bit much. A large Americano is 3.20, isn't an espresso usually cheaper?

Unless the large espresso has only a single shot and lots and lots of boiling water
    That’s pricy for the double though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Had dinner in Hamptons last night, hadn't been in about 18 months.
    Have to say it was nice, but not as good as I remember previously. Very busy though so obviously doing something right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Finally got around to The East Room in UL last night, and I’m happy to report that I was not disappointed. It certainly is a cut above the rest in Limerick. We went for the A La Carte option and, whilst pricey, it was some of the best food I’ve had in a long time and I’d consider it the best I’ve had in Limerick – having tried Freddies, The French Table, Cornstore, Hamptons, etc. Nice setting, really good service and exceptional food. It’s probably someplace that I’d withhold for special occasions, but as the old adage goes, what’s rare is wonderful!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Finally got around to The East Room in UL last night, and I’m happy to report that I was not disappointed. It certainly is a cut above the rest in Limerick. We went for the A La Carte option and, whilst pricey, it was some of the best food I’ve had in a long time and I’d consider it the best I’ve had in Limerick – having tried Freddies, The French Table, Cornstore, Hamptons, etc. Nice setting, really good service and exceptional food. It’s probably someplace that I’d withhold for special occasions, but as the old adage goes, what’s rare is wonderful!

Since I've been out in UL as a student I keep meaning to take the Mrs out there some evening for dinner but have yet to get round to it!

That endorsement means it must be paid a visit sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

Does anyone here eat in Bambu regularly? I’m a sucker for a good Indian and when I moved back to Limerick, a couple of years ago, I saw that Bambu was getting excellent reviews on TripAdvisor so I tried it. It was the worst Indian I’ve ever had by far and left half of it (which is very unlike me).

Anyway, I see the reviews are still excellent on TripAdvisor so did I just get an off-night? Is it worth trying again? I normally eat at The Curry House or Mogul Emperor.

limktime wrote: »
    Does anyone here eat in Bambu regularly? I’m a sucker for a good Indian and when I moved back to Limerick, a couple of years ago, I saw that Bambu was getting excellent reviews on TripAdvisor so I tried it. It was the worst Indian I’ve ever had by far and left half of it (which is very unlike me).

Anyway, I see the reviews are still excellent on TripAdvisor so did I just get an off-night? Is it worth trying again? I normally eat at The Curry House or Mogul Emperor.

I've always found it a little disappointing, although it was very reasonably priced from memory. IMO Limerick has a poor selection when it comes to Indian food, nowhere is really outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Copper & Spice in Annacotty do decent Indian. The Lamb Curry with peshwari naan is really good for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

limktime wrote: »

Well this is an odd one, so hope you wont get confused. But Bambu and Spice of India kinda merged and are now trading under 'Bambu' but located where Spice of India are/were (beside Lana). Bambu used to do Thai and Indian whereas Spice of India, was Indian only.

This had me worried at the time, as the Indian in Bambu paled in comparison to Spice of India. So i messaged them and they advised that, the Indian chefs were from Spice of India and the Thai chefs from Bambu.

We still go there and get take aways, and i can assure you the Indian has not changed from Spice of India. So if you are looking for reviews you may want to search for SoI
    https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g186621-d1500553-Reviews-Spice_of_India-Limerick_County_Limerick.html

We also like the Mogul Emperor, it has some excellent dishes and i like the setting. Both are excellent but id just give Bambu/Spice of India the nod.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

Thanks, I know they moved there a year or so ago but haven't tried it since. I wasn't pushed on Spice of India the few times I tried it. Ate in Mogul Emperor for years but found it inconsistent since I moved back. I find The Curry House to be about the best and most consistent these days, pricey though.

I have to agree with OTSSTO. Limerick has a poor selection. I must try Copper & Spice though. The last time I ate there was when they had a restaurant in town. They are missing a lot of classic (British) Indian dishes from their menu though e.g. Madras, Vindaloo etc. so it kind of put me off. Does anyone know if they can be ordered off menu?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Have been meaning to try the curry house.

Advertisement