Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Had breakfast in the spitjack today with a few friends. I got the bacon and pancakes and the others got a full irish. The portion size for the pancakes was excellent and imho the pancakes were nicer than the buttery. The others said their fry ups were really nice. Price wise it was very reasonable, bacon and pancakes were €9 and the coffee was 2.95. I think the full irish came to 12.95 and included tea/coffee. Also one of the guys hates pudding and they swapped it for extra bacon at no cost. Food was delicious, staff were lovely and quick. I'll definitely go back tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭coffey87

Tried a pizza from Mama Mia today. One of the best I've had in town in a very long time.

Just had a pizza in Mamma Mia with my Neapolitan girlfriend and her Neapolitan friend and they both said it was as good if not better than a lot of pizzerias in Naples. Really really good pizza, by a distance the best in Limerick.

The other half is delighted, we had to go to Dublin previously just to eat pizza, she is very picky with pizza!

coffey87 wrote: »
    Just had a pizza in Mamma Mia with my Neapolitan girlfriend and her Neapolitan friend and they both said it was as good if not better than a lot of pizzerias in Naples. Really really good pizza, by a distance the best in Limerick.

The other half is delighted, we had to go to Dublin previously just to eat pizza, she is very picky with pizza!

Can't bait a review like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭djdunny

Is this the Mama Mia in NCW or is there another one in the city?

djdunny wrote: »
    Is this the Mama Mia in NCW or is there another one in the city?

New place on William Street. I don't think they're affiliated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Where would she recommend in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Another vote for mamma Mia here.

Went last night. One of the nicest pizzas I've ever had in limerick or elsewhere (but never in Naples!).

Lovely base. Thin under the toppings and nice and fluffy at the crust.
    The tomato sauce is very nice. Kind of sweet or something.
    To note that if they don't list tomato sauce in the toppings it will not have it. So the mamma Mia one we got had no sauce

Hopefully they can make a success of it. I'm sure they will if they can keep up current standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭coffey87

keane2097 wrote: »
    Where would she recommend in Dublin?

We always go to Manifesto In Rathmines, very nice pizza!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Had dinner in SpitJack this evening.... It was top class! I'd highly recommend it! We'll definitely be back soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭djdunny

Skuxx wrote: »
    Had dinner in SpitJack this evening.... It was top class! I'd highly recommend it! We'll definitely be back soon!

Agreed. We were there today for brunch. Food was very tasty. Service was decent. Looking forward to tasting their dinner menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

We always go to Manifesto In Rathmines, very nice pizza!

+1 for Manifesto

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Was in Collins in Dooradoyle on Friday night. Food is amazing. It is a little expensive but I don't mind paying it when the food is really really good. The set up they have is great, loads of space to social distance. Two guards rocked up around 10pm and had a quick look about and checked the reservation book.

Was in Top House on Thursday, my steak was ****. Ordered medium/rare and got well done and the steak size shrunk from what was supposed to be an 8oz. It was a very thin cut. Would not be in a hurry to go back. Chips were over cooked. Cocktails were really good though. Also wasn't impressed with 3 older gentlemen drinking pints of Guinness at the bar which is not allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Locke Bar allowed the table beside us split a dessert and drink away for hours last week so won't be quick back there personally.

Places are meant to be open for food, not for drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Locke Bar allowed the table beside us split a dessert and drink away for hours last week so won't be quick back there personally.

Places are meant to be open for food, not for drinks.

Most places are doing this. Both top house and Collins let people drink after they had their food. If I owned a business like this I'd do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Most places are doing this. Both top house and Collins let people drink after they had their food. If I owned a business like this I'd do it.

There is letting people drink after having a main course or a large appetiser, and then there's allowing people in to just drink and bypass the guidelines by splitting a piece of cake.

I have no problems with businesses letting people stay over the 90 minute sitting if they've had a meal, I've issues with two people ordering something isn't even 9 euro to get a table to drink away.

Some restaurants are going under because they can't warrant opening for reduced capacity and then you've places ignoring guidelines and allowing customers in to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Anybody here ever give a shout out for Story Café down near Old Quarter/Papaz etc.

Price-wise it's unreal and the food is very good too. I baulk when I see the prices at chains like Spitjack and H&L to be honest (granted I know City prices can be a small but higher).

Beef Burger €18.90 in Spitjack is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

We got the Burger Deal this evening in Spitjack; 2 burgers and 2 choices of sides for €22. Very good value and really good burgers, will definitely go back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

eljono wrote: »
    We got the Burger Deal this evening in Spitjack; 2 burgers and 2 choices of sides for €22. Very good value and really good burgers, will definitely go back again.

That sounds better value.

If anything lockdown has thought is how to make amazing burgers very cheaply, so paying 18.95 for a burger is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

L-M wrote: »
    That sounds better value.

If anything lockdown has thought is how to make amazing burgers very cheaply, so paying 18.95 for a burger is madness.

Agree.

And couple that with the fact that places can easily afford to do 2 courses often for a decent price (Marco Polo), paging that for a burger is pretty ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Went to Locke Burger at the weekend. It was good but i wasn't overly impressed.

Had the cheese burger, chips and a can of beer. The beef patty was slightly pink on the inside which I don't mind as it means it's extra juicy but this might not be for everyone. There could have been a bit more salad but there was plenty of cheese and sauce which melted into a nice gooey mess as the burger had been wrapped in foil for a few minutes to allow the heat to build up and everything to come together. The bun was good and was able to stand up to all those juices without falling apart halfway through. I wasn't blown away by the overall flavour, don't get me wrong it was tasty but definitely lacking something. Maybe the new grill needs a couple of months to develop a bit of seasoning.

The chips were so so, big portion though so that helped.

The can of beer and warm summer sunshine while people watching was great! :)

All in all, would call back again but for me the best burger in town is still in the Greenyard.

• Advertisement

Again, I’m a bit of a burger snob now but I thought their chips were amazing, maybe the batch I got but they were honestly the best I’ve had around. It’s hard get good chips

Just got Mama Mias pizzas, all I’ll say is it doesn’t travel well.

Also asked for no onion and got onion all over the pizza, so that didn’t help either.

Pity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

L-M wrote: »
    Just got Mama Mias pizzas, all I’ll say is it doesn’t travel well.

Also asked for no onion and got onion all over the pizza, so that didn’t help either.

Pity

Was there myself tonight loved it excellent pizza fresh ingredients excellent sauce, but no pizza travels well tbh looking forward to trying one in house fresh from the oven

Ya they can go cold fairly quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Leonita

Another vote for mamma Mia here.

Went last night. One of the nicest pizzas I've ever had in limerick or elsewhere (but never in Naples!).

Lovely base. Thin under the toppings and nice and fluffy at the crust.
    The tomato sauce is very nice. Kind of sweet or something.
    To note that if they don't list tomato sauce in the toppings it will not have it. So the mamma Mia one we got had no sauce

Hopefully they can make a success of it. I'm sure they will if they can keep up current standards.

Hi all,

Could anybody please post a link to their ordering system? Have tried looking on deliveroo etc but to no avail. Having heard such good reviews am looking forward to trying their pizzas.

TIA

leo78 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Could anybody please post a link to their ordering system? Have tried looking on deliveroo etc but to no avail. Having heard such good reviews am looking forward to trying their pizzas.

TIA

They were on Uber Eats at the start but must not have been worth their while. I rang in an order yesterday evening altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭shanmo

Has any one tried An BBQ Blasta? Looks good but haven't heard much about it yet! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

shanmo wrote: »
    Has any one tried An BBQ Blasta? Looks good but haven't heard much about it yet! Thanks.

I haven't been in it but I walked past today and there was a great smell around the street! I love proper BBQ food so I'll definitely give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

shanmo wrote: »

Where's that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Limerick91

source wrote: »
    Where's that?

Flannerys pub on Denmark Street

Advertisement