Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MrBizzles

Munstermad wrote: »
    Looking for somewhere cheap and cheerful for early bird Thursday, is Marco Polos the best value in the city?

Cant go wrong with Marco Polos. Great food at a reasonable price

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

It's funny I was in Marco Polo recently and was very disappointed. You got a lot of food but it was tasteless. I was disappointed. However, was in Milano the other night and really really nice I have to say. Will go back there

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

maryk123 wrote: »
    It's funny I was in Marco Polo recently and was very disappointed. You got a lot of food but it was tasteless. I was disappointed.

I'm not a fan of Marco Polo either. We tried it for lunch a few times because it seemed like great value but so many of the menu items cost extra and the food wasn't great at all - a few of the dishes were cold, not much taste and service was pretty poor.

I used to love the Jasmine Palace buffet, especially the lunch buffet which was great value but we went there on a Sunday recently and were so disappointed. Lots of dishes were missing for ages, most of the starters needed to be refilled and it just didn't taste like it used to. We all agreed that it was bland compared to before. Maybe late Sunday afternoon is a bad time to go as it was very busy? Will definitely try it again as it may have been a once off, I'll probably stick to the lunch buffet though.

My favourite place to go recently, especially for lunch is Bambu on O'Connell street. The menu is half Thai, half Indian and everything we've tried has been great, so much flavour and so fresh. The lunch is only €10 for a starter, main course and a drink but I often get a dish from the main menu (Nasi Goreng, indonesian fried rice and it's SO GOOD) but it's only a couple of Euro extra. I can't recommend this place enough, we end up craving it all the time and go there almost every week.

Also a fan of the Hamptons early bird, it was very busy and slow the last time we were there but the food is always good.

Tried Freddy's Bistro recently as it was rated number 1 in the city on Trip Advisor but wouldn't go back in a hurry. It ended up being very very expensive even for the early bird as there were lots of supplements and the portions were tiny. Was looking forward to trying jerk chicken as I've never had it in Ireland, and it was on the website and on the menu outside the door but not inside. The food was decent but not enough to justify the price at all. Maybe for a special occasion.

One place that's worth the drive is The Fairways Bar and Orchard Restaurant outside Nenagh. Reminds me of Freddy's but I'd pick this place over it every time. The lunch is amazing value and the food is always excellent. Even if it was much more expensive we would take the trip again and again.

Really want to try Mejana, that's the next stop and I've heard great things about it. Also Badass Burritos but some of the comments I've heard/read have put me off from trying it so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Any one had Mejana?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

bigpink wrote: »
    Any one had Mejana?

Yes, been there a bit, my favourite is the halloumi starter and surf and turf main, frozen caramel cheesecake for dessert. They had a girl playing guitar and singing the last night I was there and often have a belly dancer too. Definitely worth a go, lots of lovely hummus and warm flat breads....decent value if you go for the early bird, its little pricey otherwise but def a nice change.

I was just at Spice of India; starters, main, dessert and a bottle of house wine for two for €45, all evening. Food was absolutely gorgeous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Yes, been there a bit, my favourite is the halloumi starter and surf and turf main, frozen caramel cheesecake for dessert. They had a girl playing guitar and singing the last night I was there and often have a belly dancer too. Definitely worth a go, lots of lovely hummus and warm flat breads....decent value if you go for the early bird, its little pricey otherwise but def a nice change.

I was just at Spice of India; starters, main, dessert and a bottle of house wine for two for €45, all evening. Food was absolutely gorgeous.

We had a Friday night treat from Spice of India too - it was fantastic. Best Indian in Limerick hands down!

Yeah Spice of Indian great value and they are very nice.If they just tidyd up the entrance a little bit I say more people would go in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

East Ocean restaurant in Charleville uEaaImD.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Where exactly on O'Connell street is Bambu??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,265 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Right overhead the Texas Steakout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Just had lunch in Bambu. Starter main course and drink for ten euro. Was Fab. Will definitely be back. Fantastic value

Was in Bambu on Saturday night, absolutely gorgeous. Will deffo be back, only one qualm, the first table we sat at had an awful draft, it was pretty late when we went in and there were plenty of extra tables so we asked if we could move - could still find the draft, we reckon it was their air con system. But it won't stop us from going back!

My thread on Brimstone seems have been deleted was it moved here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Brimstone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

shaka wrote: »
    Brimstone ?

In Riverpoint, was the Glasshouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

What's the best restaurant in Limerick. Cost is not an issue - but it needs to be somewhat expensive, I've €150 to spend on a dinner for two. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

bigpink wrote: »
    My thread on Brimstone seems have been deleted was it moved here

Send a poltie PM to Kess and he should tell you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I went to the Castletroy Park Hotel on the Dublin Road for lunch a couple of weeks back. We were seated in the Conservatory, a.k.a. the Garden Room and lunch was thoroughly excellent, decent portions and beautifully cooked and presented. Couldn't fault the price either, main course and dessert at €14.50 each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

testicle wrote: »
    What's the best restaurant in Limerick. Cost is not an issue - but it needs to be somewhat expensive, I've €150 to spend on a dinner for two. :)

Freddy's Bistro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Freddy's is good, but my preference at the moment would be the French Table, always excellent food and always a good wine recommendation to go with your meal too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Cornstore up there too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Freddie's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Another vote for the French table, great food and a nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Someone's looking to get the ride! :P

Anyone know anything about the newish Indian in Newcastle West? Think its called Daily Spice..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Lovely under-rated restaurant in Thai Gourmet (catherine st)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Mc Love wrote: »
    Lovely under-rated restaurant in Thai Gourmet (catherine st)

One of the best but it's on Glentworth street ;):)

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Really impressive meal and service in Goosers on Sunday....I will be going back for sure! They have really upped their game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭manna452121

Went to Freddie's Bistro last night and it was beautiful.I will be back.

• Advertisement

Went to Freddie's Bistro last night and it was beautiful.I will be back.

I need to eat there - still cant believe i havent!

Advertisement