Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

If you can get over the 1970’s decor, you’ll be grand

I kinda like it, old school Indian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Achari.

Takeaway from Achari would be my call, just don't eat in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jose Maria

Another vote for Bollywood Temple, also endorsed by my Indian neighbour

Achari - thumbs down awful food

• Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Jose Maria wrote: »
    Another vote for Bollywood Temple, also endorsed by my Indian neighbour

Opened a Limerick branch have they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

banie01 wrote: »
    Opened a Limerick branch have they?

Yup in Corbally

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Pacifico wrote: »
    Yup in Corbally

Where in Corbally

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Hopefully not over the athlunkard bridge, cause youre going to have to move forums then lads.....

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Had Handsome Burger at Jerry Flannerys earlier, was very good, definitely gives Locke Burger a run for its money and they have a bhaji option as a veggie burger instead of the normal veggie option.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/579504/limerick-restaurant-ordered-to-close-due-to-grave-and-immediate-danger-to-public-health.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Boojum ordered to close by food safety authority

Mod update - Was closed briefly due to a plumbing issue, and resolved since. I'm sure it's got the cleanest pipes in the business now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What is it with burrito bars in Limerick and bad luck with plumbing?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

What is it with burrito bars in Limerick and bad luck with plumbing?!

I've had bad luck with my own plumbing after bad burritos before.

ABEasy wrote: »

Order was Sept 9th and it was lifted 2 days later.

I've had it since and its was still as good as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Tim76 wrote: »
    I've had bad luck with my own plumbing after bad burritos before.

Bad bum pish!

I mean ba dum tish ;)

Locke Burger openingin Castletroy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

bigpink wrote: »
    Amidst all the doom and gloom, that's some success story in fairness. Opened during a pandemic and then expanded, fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Order was Sept 9th and it was lifted 2 days later.

I've had it since and its was still as good as ever.

Were they continuing to serve food with sewerage leaking into the basement? Is that where they stored food?

If so it would illustrate a complete lack of concern for their customer's health.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,942 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Were they continuing to serve food with sewerage leaking into the basement? Is that where they stored food?

If so it would illustrate a complete lack of concern for their customer's health.

Sounds like most of the pubs I worked in over the years

The order was lifted within 48 hours of it being issued so I highly doubt the leak was as grave as the Leader was making it out to be. To be fair that area of the city tends to have ongoing issues with plumbing so its not unique to one premises.

I made the post as the original poster quoted a Leader article from over a month ago in a thread thats meant to be restaurant recommendations.

I've had Boojum umpteen times, and never once had a bad burrito.

Amidst all the doom and gloom, that's some success story in fairness. Opened during a pandemic and then expanded, fair play

Prob do great in Castletroy has the crowd that will spend on it.

The order was lifted within 48 hours of it being issued so I highly doubt the leak was as grave as the Leader was making it out to be. To be fair that area of the city tends to have ongoing issues with plumbing so its not unique to one premises.

I made the post as the original poster quoted a Leader article from over a month ago in a thread thats meant to be restaurant recommendations.

I've had Boojum umpteen times, and never once had a bad burrito.

OP here, FYI the leader article was published on the 8th of October, not a month ago. I posted it in a restaurant recommendations forum to warn potential customers that the FSA had shut them down. It obviously was not as trivial as you make out, but you know what do the Food Safety Authority know, you had upteen burritos so it must be fine.......

• Advertisement

OP here, FYI the leader article was published on the 8th of October, not a month ago. I posted it in a restaurant recommendations forum to warn potential customers that the FSA had shut them down. It obviously was not as trivial as you make out, but you know what do the Food Safety Authority know, you had upteen burritos so it must be fine.......

Thats grand, but it would be good to give some context to your post rather than insinuating a business is currently shut down indefinitely. Nobody wants to suffer through a sensationalist Leader article only to find the place opened back up less than 48 hours after it was shut a month ago.

People come on here for a quick browse, your post could have easily been misconstrued as they are currently closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Whereabouts?

Thats grand, but it would be good to give some context to your post rather than insinuating a business is currently shut down indefinitely. Nobody wants to suffer through a sensationalist Leader article only to find the place opened back up less than 48 hours after it was shut a month ago.

People come on here for a quick browse, your post could have easily been misconstrued as they are currently closed.

Yeah, thats why i posted the link, all information for anyone interested was on the article, not sure what else i could do tbh

Yeah, thats why i posted the link, all information for anyone interested was on the article, not sure what else i could do tbh

As someone said on another thread, friends don't let friends read the Leader. They hop on any story that can get them clicks.

In level 3 lockdown, unless you've had a genuine bad experience somewhere, I personally believe we should be doing as much as we can to encourage people to spend local, which means limiting bad publicity/"fake news" (please read in Trump voice) unless warranted.

If someone got food poisoning there, then fair enough, but no point publicising old news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭adaminho

As someone said on another thread, friends don't let friends read the Leader. They hop on any story that can get them clicks.

In level 3 lockdown, unless you've had a genuine bad experience somewhere, I personally believe we should be doing as much as we can to encourage people to spend local, which means limiting bad publicity/"fake news" (please read in Trump voice) unless warranted.

If someone got food poisoning there, then fair enough, but no point publicising old news.

In fairness to the Leader the FSAI release their findings at the end of the month.

https://www.thejournal.ie/food-closures-boojum-5227560-Oct2020/

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/closure-order-served-on-popular-limerick-restaurant-over-concerns-about-sewage-and-wastewater-in-basement-39601852.html
    It's more important to know where it's safe to eat rather than cover it up for Ad revenue.

adaminho wrote: »
    In fairness to the Leader the FSAI release their findings at the end of the month.

https://www.thejournal.ie/food-closures-boojum-5227560-Oct2020/

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/closure-order-served-on-popular-limerick-restaurant-over-concerns-about-sewage-and-wastewater-in-basement-39601852.html
    It's more important to know where it's safe to eat rather than cover it up for Ad revenue.

The FSAI determined it was safe to reopen Boojum on September 11th when it lifted the order. No article has even mentioned the basement was used for food storage or food preparation.

La Cucina closed its city centre premises today because it wasn't feasible to continue takeaways there. Lockdown will cause enough job losses without people misconstruing posts as somewhere is currently shut.

The FSAI determined it was safe to reopen Boojum on September 11th when it lifted the order. No article has even mentioned the basement was used for food storage or food preparation.

La Cucina closed its city centre premises today because it wasn't feasible to continue takeaways there. Lockdown will cause enough job losses without people misconstruing posts as somewhere is currently shut.

I was surprised La Cucina weren't faster doing takeaways during lockdown as they were surely use to it.Fair play to other places they were quick to change

I was surprised La Cucina weren't faster doing takeaways during lockdown as they were surely use to it.Fair play to other places they were quick to change

I think it might be because the kitchen area is quite tight, would have been hard to maintain distancing at the beginning when we were being told to keep 2m apart constantly.

The Castletroy one is open for takeaways but I think they have a more square/open kitchen area.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Ye are gas, just because it's some brand name with a big social media influence everyone is rushing to defend them. The FSA don't close places for the laugh.

I don't remember posters rushing out to defend any of the kebab / pizza places that were closed down in recent years.

• Advertisement

Treepole wrote: »
    Ye are gas, just because it's some brand name with a big social media influence everyone is rushing to defend them. The FSA don't close places for the laugh.

I don't remember posters rushing out to defend any of the kebab / pizza places that were closed down in recent years.

The posts about it being closed were misleading and one was contradictory to actual evidence. The place was closed and reopened within 48 hours over a month ago due to a plumbing issue in a section of the basement (which seems very common in Limerick City Centre based at the amount of other businesses being mentioned here on Boards alone in the last few years which have not been subjected to the same critique), not due to unsafe food preparation or food storage areas as the FSAI would make mention of the same in their closure notice.

If the same posts were made about another business I ordered from and never had issue with, I'd make sure to correct people's posts if they were not clear or could be misconstrued because misleading information is just that.

We're literally living in a time where one extra order each evening could be the difference between somewhere staying open (and keeping people employed) or closing.

Advertisement