Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

source wrote: »
    Japanese restaurant and take away opening beside badass burritos called Taikichi.

Saw this over on the business opening thread.
    Just wondering if anyone has any more info on it?
    Would it be too much to hope for something along the lines of WA Café in Galway?
    I have my fingers crossed and if anyone knows more about this spot please share!
    I'll stick on a review here as soon as its open :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

It ain't michelin star cuisine but if you just want simple wholesome fair that's good value then you can't beat the Texas Steakout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I like the Texas Steakout place but one of the best meals out I had in Limerick was in Freddy's. Excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Had a feed in the Cornstore on Saturday, somehow this place had escaped me really enjoyed it service excellent, good food and the craft beers were excellent as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Bartelby

I see there is a new Japanese restaurant and takeaway opening on O'Connell street two doors down from Wokking. Should be a good and interesting addition to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Pizza planet 2 by the south court, the pizzeria that became a kebab and pizzeria that then became a kebab / pizzeria & Indian has just got a new chef. He came from the popadom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Ate in Dragon I in Patrickswell last night - interesting menu and the food was good but the service was horrifically slow and unprofessional. Our waiter was a nice guy but just not up to the job - we waited for at least a half an hour between courses.

There is a good menu - with different dishes to the normal Chinese fare in Ireland. The food was good quality but really not worth the wait. It was also pricey - €66 for two starters, two mains (with a portion of fried rice and a portion of noodles - which did not come with the main course, you had to pay extra) and a half bottle of wine.

I wont be going back for a sit down meal but perhaps i might try it for a takeaway as they were quite busy with takeaways. the service was nice but just so slow and unprofessional - we very forgotten about for most of our meal - and never got an apology. We werent in a rush - otherwise i would have complained!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

banie01 wrote: »
    Saw this over on the business opening thread.
    Just wondering if anyone has any more info on it?
    Would it be too much to hope for something along the lines of WA Café in Galway?
    I have my fingers crossed and if anyone knows more about this spot please share!
    I'll stick on a review here as soon as its open :P

My OH and I went to Taikichi for lunch today, it was fantastic.

I went for the sashimi platter 15€, while my partner had the large sushi set ( 12 pieces ) 18.90€.

Both dishes came with a complimentary miso soup. The food was authentic and the service was very friendly. We highly recommend this new japonese place.

We loved it so much that we already made plans to return there tomorrow.

Looks really good. Nicely presented too.

Was it busy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

elmolesto wrote: »
    My OH and I went to Taikichi for lunch today, it was fantastic.

Any menus available online for the place? Tried googling it but no joy and I'm not on facebook but if anyone knows if they are on there that would be great! I'd love to try it but the OH is fussy enough and woul dhave to get a look at the menu....

Also was in the Hamptons over the weekend, will never go back. Very very disappointed. Food was thrown up to us, was literally in and out in the space of an hour (3 course meal), couldn't hear the OH over the noise, food was nothing to write home about.... Just not an enjoyable experience at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

I unfortunately had a bad experience at Taikichi. I know they're only newly opened so I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt but the first impression is so important. While we were there they forgot to bring any cutlery to the table after serving us (they hadn't set the table when we came in as they had with other tables) and although I asked for beef in my dish they gave me chicken. Moreover, I ordered the curry ramen and found it to be rather lacking giving the hefty price tag of €16.80; it was essentially just a bowl of thick curry sauce with ramen noodles in the bottom *. I realise this fits the name of the dish but the description mentioned vegetables and other things which were missing. The curry itself was thick and rather tasteless. My friend had teryiyaki chicken and said it wasn't anything special.

The decor was lovely and the staff were nice but at the end of the day I expect good food for the price we paid, I won't be returning in a hurry.

* Just to add I've had curry ramen/udon before in Tokyo and what I got in Taikichi wasn't even comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Went to Taikichi last night and just said I'd log on to post my impressions.

Food was excellent, and the overall presentation was good.
    I've long been a fan of Japanese cuisine and one of the things I missed most about returning to Ireland was Quality Nipponese food.
    We had a wide range of dishes and they were all well prepared and fresh.
    The Temaki, and the chicken teriyaki were excellent, the Miso was a little thin for my liking but it was quite good.
    The Nori rolls were good and the chicken or bacon options are a good starting point for introducing non ''fishy'' people to the concept of sushi rolls.
    The Sashimi and sushi were very fresh and well prepared.
    I would also recommend a try of their desserts, the green tea twist on Ice Cream and Tiramisu was quite nice.
    I was pleasantly surprised by how busy it was :)
    All tables full, people waiting for tables to free up and plenty of takeaway orders too.
    I was also surprised by the numbers of Japanese folk in the restaurant(Didn't realize the local Japanese community was still quite so large)
    Especially on a Cold Wednesday evening.

I don't have too many negatives really aside from pricing.
    To be honest, quality wise and portion wise I would put this spot on a par with Wa Café in Galway(Which is a great spot)
    But...
    Wa Café's prices are a lot lower!
    Just as a comparison last month in Wa Café a similar menu including 3 soft drinks and Sake(But excluding Dessert) cost us @€;45.
    Last nights meal in Taikichi which was a similar choice with 3 soft drinks including 2 desserts(But excluding Saké) was almost €72!
    It is quite a sharp difference in pricing.

Overall it is a lovely spot with quality food, pricing is a little severe but hopefully this will improve with time and/or competition.
    It is great to see a quality Japanese restaurant joining the foodscape in Limerick and here's hoping it does well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

banie01 wrote: »
    Went to Taikichi last night and just said I'd log on to post my impressions.

Food was excellent, and the overall presentation was good.
    I've long been a fan of Japanese cuisine and one of the things I missed most about returning to Ireland was Quality Nipponese food.
    We had a wide range of dishes and they were all well prepared and fresh.
    The Temaki, and the chicken teriyaki were excellent, the Miso was a little thin for my liking but it was quite good.
    The Nori rolls were good and the chicken or bacon options are a good starting point for introducing non ''fishy'' people to the concept of sushi rolls.
    The Sashimi and sushi were very fresh and well prepared.
    I would also recommend a try of their desserts, the green tea twist on Ice Cream and Tiramisu was quite nice.
    I was pleasantly surprised by how busy it was :)
    All tables full, people waiting for tables to free up and plenty of takeaway orders too.
    I was also surprised by the numbers of Japanese folk in the restaurant(Didn't realize the local Japanese community was still quite so large)
    Especially on a Cold Wednesday evening.

I don't have too many negatives really aside from pricing.
    To be honest, quality wise and portion wise I would put this spot on a par with Wa Café in Galway(Which is a great spot)
    But...
    Wa Café's prices are a lot lower!
    Just as a comparison last month in Wa Café a similar menu including 3 soft drinks and Sake(But excluding Dessert) cost us @€;45.
    Last nights meal in Taikichi which was a similar choice with 3 soft drinks including 2 desserts(But excluding Saké) was almost €72!
    It is quite a sharp difference in pricing.

Overall it is a lovely spot with quality food, pricing is a little severe but hopefully this will improve with time and/or competition.
    It is great to see a quality Japanese restaurant joining the foodscape in Limerick and here's hoping it does well.

Thanks for the detailed review! I just passed it and it was packed, i couldnt see a free table. I really need to go there - i love japanese food...but my other half does not unfortunately.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Any recommendations for a chinese takeaway on the corbally side of limerick? Don't know that side well, but have to head out there this evening and fancy chinese for supper!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a chinese takeaway on the corbally side of limerick? Don't know that side well, but have to head out there this evening and fancy chinese for supper!!

China-Ki, it's in the shopping centre there with Tesco Express, it's lovely! I used to drive over from Caherdavin for a takeaway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

The Pagoda above Fine Wines used to be good. Not sure what it's like these days, but might be worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

angeldaisy wrote: »

I like the Sequoia in Thomondgate.

China ki is one the wife really a likes as well

• Registered Users Posts: 17 johncarter

just had a takeaway from taikichi.
    at long last there is a Japanese restaurant in limerick
    in a word it was yummy.
    as good if not better than the other 3 Japanese places that ive tried (zweton used do sushi)
    i rang in our order and was told it would be 30 mins.
    when i arrived there 30 min later my meal was ready.
    the staff are very friendly and courteous.
    when i was there (wed 7:15pm) the place was full.
    will be booking a sit down asap.

visa machine was a bit flakey though so have cash as a back up

• Advertisement

Really delighted to hear that this place is doing well so far.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Are there any pizza huts still left in Limerick? Any of them do delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

miralize wrote: »

Childers road has one, unsure about delivery though. Know they do collection

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

miralize wrote: »

Childers Road, no delivery. They usually do an offer of two large take-away pizzas for the price of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

Is the new Brimstone Steakhouse worth a try and what are it's opening hours?Would bookings be essential?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Ate there a week ago, very nice food.

Booking at weekends at this time of the year would be a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

went into bobby byrnes today at lunchtime, for a so called "gastro pub" i was disappointed

you had to que up with a tray at the counter it was like being in a canteen and the food wasn't anything special, maybe its better in the evening?

fryup wrote: »
    went into bobby byrnes today at lunchtime, for a so called "gastro pub" i was disappointed

you had to que up with a tray at the counter it was like being in a canteen and the food wasn't anything special, maybe its better in the evening?

I felt the very same last week. Gastro pub if the year "I think ". And when I got the food it was just carvery food and not very good at that I would much prefer the unicorn for lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

I felt the very same last week. Gastro pub if the year "I think ". And when I got the food it was just carvery food and not very good at that I would much prefer the unicorn for lunch

They do a lunch time carvery and then a bar food menu with table service in the evenings, it is a shame they don't do the bar food menu all day, but give it a shot after 5 and you won't be disappointed.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Everybody can have a bad day will try in the evening next week and get back to ye

Advertisement