Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭cian8

Agree had a very nice meal in Auro (edited) recently.

Post edited by cian8 on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

meal in Azur recently

We were talking about Aura, on Roches St.

Oops so was I! Not my only spelling error today 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Sarah3

Any restaurant recommendations for Limerick for taking a family of 7 out for dinner for a special occasion?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Icbaby

Depends on how special, Freddie’s is fab food, The Hamptons is always nice and personally I love the food in the woodfield (not fancy but good). The East room is very fancy but food is too fancy for my palette but if it’s a special occasion and you want top tier food that’s a definite. The French table is the same, very fancy, very acquired taste (think fancy pallette and not steak and chips) although I had the steak and it was to die for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jose Maria

Ate in there a few weeks ago myself, food was delish, had the Aloo Tiki and house special mixed grill, Naan is unreal as poster said above. It does have issues though, toilets were out of order, long wait for food, front door cold wind every time it opens and lastly we thought it was a bit bright in there for an evening meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Zverklez

+1 for Aura. Really pleasant service too, despite some reviews saying otherwise. If I was to find one fault, it would be that the food isn't spicy enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭MichaelR

I discovered the delight of something called "Urfa kebab", a specialty kebab that is not the same as the doner and not the same as the shish, in both Dublin and Cork. Would appreciate pointers to a place in Limerick serving it.

(An urfa kebab is like an adana kebab but without the pepper. It is made of minced meat but, unlike the shish, is not marinated)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If it exists in Limerick Turkman Grill is probably where you will find it.

• Advertisement

Ate in East Room at UL a few weeks ago. Pricey (€65 set menu, extra sides €5) but easily the best food in the city. Absolute number one choice for a special occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

We went to Rossi's restaurant, George's Quay, today, and the food was excellent. We'd been avoiding it after a bland meal a few years ago so it was a welcome surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,235 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Any suggestions for somewhere to go for a mini-honeymoon celebration? We are staying in the Limerick Strand, so somewhere central preferable.

Mid-price range (find you don't get as much bang for your buck in the fancy spots), not fussy about cuisine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

The French table does a 3 course meal for €38pp, top food and in my opinion that's great value.

Portions are pretty healthy in Spitjack. Taikichi is a great spot probably my favourite food wise or The Curragower if their river side terrace renovations are finished is good food in a great setting.

There are few if any restaurants in Limerick that do the Hester Blumenthal 2 shavings and a pea pretentious stuff. The restaurant in the Strand is possibly one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Would second this.

The Cornstore and Hamptons also spring to mind for reasonably priced, and centrally located. Both are nice without being OTT imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭djdunny

Freddy's is also worth a consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Any recommendations for a Sunday Carvery in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭shanmo

Not carvery but MJ Finnegans do roasts of the day and The Locke Bar and Katie Dalys do a different roast each Sunday.

The Cornstore also do Sunday roasts.

Can't think of any traditional queue up at the hot counter carveries left.

Fell out of fashion a while back sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Russells on Fr. Russell Rd. do a very good traditional carvery with a a roast joint and a few other choices as well. It's pretty busy on Sundays

Cheers folks, we went to The Kilmurry Lodge on Sunday for lunch and for what we got, I felt it was very expensive. I had forgotten that Russell's have a carvery. I'll try that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,532 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Prices at hotels have gone completely out of control now for Main Courses. Chicken Curry for €18 regularly now

I agree, The Kilmurry Lodge are charging 17/18 for all mains now and the portions would be on the small side. We went to Russell's on Sunday and it was a lot better value than The Kilmurry Lodge. 3 adult mains and 1 child for 56e and none of us left hungry. We'll definitely return.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Lily House in Raheen is definitely one of the best for takeaway chinese, standard in fusion, peony court and chinese palace havent been great lately plus your one in Peony court is a gowl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

You hate calling anyone a gowl, but sometimes there's no other word...... I know which one you're referring to, :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭sioda

Had been the same since the late nineties when it cost 50p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Any recommendations for Newcastle West? Will find myself there with an hour to burn in the evening, post 6pm. I'm not a fancy eater nor am I looking to spend stupid money. A burger and chip can be nicer than some dinners!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭pajoguy

The longcourt does very good food.

The silver rooms is top class but if you only have an hour then it wouldnt be a runner

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I got such a good bag of chips tonight in Tony's on the Mulcair Road, I think everyone should know. (everything else good as always but the chips were off the chain)

Advertisement