Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 aimk

So, as a massive sushi lover I was so excited about a Japanese restaurant opening in Limerick. So 3 days after it opened I walked in with a big smile on my face, and I must say my sushi craving was satisfied, although they're seaweed salad wasn't great.

So, anyway, after recommending it to loads of people I booked it for the following Friday night to take my mom and brother out to dinner, we had good news in the family so I figured it would be a lovely place to celebrate and something new for them. I rang Taikichi on Monday night, booked my table for Friday at 8:30pm and gave my contact number. Friday night came and we were all starving in anticipation of delicious Japanese food, we arrived in at 8:34, I hate being late but parking was crazy and eventually we got out of the car and left my brother go on the parking space hunt.

I walked in, apologised for being a couple of minutes late and stated our name. We were met with confused looks and told, 'you're late, we gave your table away', they went to seat us at a low bench beside the toilets, where people collect their takeaways and where the staff bring out food. I said that was fine but could we move to a table when one became available, I was told 'no you were late'. The conversation went on with me saying I had only been 4 minutes late and how did they give away the table that quickly, and the woman being exceptionally rude back, and refusing to get the manager.

So we left, very disappointed and stood outside trying to figure where we would go. In that time, the ladies who the staff had pointed to as being the ones who had taken our table paid their bill and left! To say I was annoyed is an understatement. Such bad service, and unfortunately it will be back on the hunt for my sushi fix as I won't be returning. A restaurant like that won't last long.

On a positive note, we got a table in the Cornstore and it was delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

aimk wrote: »
    So, as a massive sushi lover I was so excited about a Japanese restaurant opening in Limerick. So 3 days after it opened I walked in with a big smile on my face, and I must say my sushi craving was satisfied, although they're seaweed salad wasn't great.

So, anyway, after recommending it to loads of people I booked it for the following Friday night to take my mom and brother out to dinner, we had good news in the family so I figured it would be a lovely place to celebrate and something new for them. I rang Taikichi on Monday night, booked my table for Friday at 8:30pm and gave my contact number. Friday night came and we were all starving in anticipation of delicious Japanese food, we arrived in at 8:34, I hate being late but parking was crazy and eventually we got out of the car and left my brother go on the parking space hunt.

I walked in, apologised for being a couple of minutes late and stated our name. We were met with confused looks and told, 'you're late, we gave your table away', they went to seat us at a low bench beside the toilets, where people collect their takeaways and where the staff bring out food. I said that was fine but could we move to a table when one became available, I was told 'no you were late'. The conversation went on with me saying I had only been 4 minutes late and how did they give away the table that quickly, and the woman being exceptionally rude back, and refusing to get the manager.

So we left, very disappointed and stood outside trying to figure where we would go. In that time, the ladies who the staff had pointed to as being the ones who had taken our table paid their bill and left! To say I was annoyed is an understatement. Such bad service, and unfortunately it will be back on the hunt for my sushi fix as I won't be returning. A restaurant like that won't last long.

On a positive note, we got a table in the Cornstore and it was delicious.

Oh - not good! I was in there to pick up a takeaway menu on Saturday and it is quite small in there. I think maybe 5-6 tables with some seating on the benches too so i could imagine space is at a premium...but still being 4 minutes late is acceptable in most instances i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 aimk

I know, I was so disappointed, especially because she was so rude. I booked it on the Monday because it's so small, to make sure I would get us a table. Such a pity they treat customers so badly when they will be relying on good word of mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

I ate in Hamptons last week.To be honest i find it to be a bit overrated.The restaurant just feels too stuffy and uncomfortable.The air conditioning is just set too high in there!My food was also out on the table within 10 minutes after it being ordered.When your food is out that quick you would have to question is it freshly prepared?I was expecting a lot better tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Any recommendations for really nice lunches?? Pub type place with really good food and a varied menu - no carvery please!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

gg2 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for really nice lunches?? Pub type place with really good food and a varied menu - no carvery please!!

Chocolat on O'Connell street do a lovely lunch. Not too expensive either, although I can't remember the exact price right now.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Where do people think is the best chipper in the city centre area?I used to be a fan of Luigis but it think it's no longer as good as it was a few years ago.Enzos is very good though if you want a sit in meal but Donkey Fords is still probably number 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

So, I just heard Limerick is getting a Nando's on Childers Road. Their facebook page was just made today and already has 4k likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Where do people think is the best chipper in the city centre area?I used to be a fan of Luigis but it think it's no longer as good as it was a few years ago.Enzos is very good though if you want a sit in meal but Donkey Fords is still probably number 1.

Would agree with you Enzos and Luigis. I think they're the only nice ones in the city centre really. Was out at my friend's house in Raheen recently and went to the local chipper there. "Tony's" Have to say it was very nice.

Would agree with you Enzos and Luigis. I think they're the only nice ones in the city centre really. Was out at my friend's house in Raheen recently and went to the local chipper there. "Tony's" Have to say it was very nice.

The only place i would be familiar with in that side of town would be Slaterrys or Lui's i think it's called now on the Father Russell Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Ryan's chipper near centra in Raheen down from the south court is hard to pass. I think it's good. What are people's opinion on rio's in Parnell st. I like it but the wife prefers luigis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Ryan's chipper near centra in Raheen down from the south court is hard to pass. I think it's good. What are people's opinion on rio's in Parnell st. I like it but the wife prefers luigis

Tonys is way nicer. For one in town, it's hard to beat Enzo's

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Bartelby

The Yellow Road was great but sadly has been replaced by a poor imitation. Enzo's and Luigis are the best in town. The place next to the Swimming pool in Grove Island is also excellent. I went to the Golden Grill on William Street recently and was very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

aimk wrote: »
    The conversation went on with me saying I had only been 4 minutes late and how did they give away the table that quickly, and the woman being exceptionally rude back, and refusing to get the manager.

no disrespect but.....i find that hard to believe, i was in there today and everyone and i mean everyone was soooooooooooooooo polite & courteous that i was taken aback by it ..i never experienced service quite like it to be honest

as for the food itself i could take it or leave it i'm not an asian food connoisseur but for the friendly service alone i'll definitely be back, 10 out of 10 for that alone

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

A group of us were out last night for Xmas meal/drinks, we headed to Freddies and have to say it was top notch, set menu there for €26. Between us all we tried most of the starters, a few of the main courses and a few desserts and all were complimented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

phog wrote: »
    A group of us were out last night for Xmas meal/drinks, we headed to Freddies and have to say it was top notch, set menu there for €26. Between us all we tried most of the starters, a few of the main courses and a few desserts and all were complimented.

Still my no.1 in limerick

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

fryup wrote: »
    no disrespect but.....i find that hard to believe, i was in there today and everyone and i mean everyone was soooooooooooooooo polite & courteous that i was taken aback by it ..i never experienced service quite like it to be honest

as for the food itself i could take it or leave it i'm not an asian food connoisseur but for the friendly service alone i'll definitely be back, 10 out of 10 for that alone

I have to agree. Quite possibly the friendliest staff in any restaurant in Limerick.

Anyone here tried Brimstone. I'm going there next week and was wondering what it's like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Went to Texas steakhouse before match last night, Brie was cold in the middle and t bone steak was average at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Anyone here tried Brimstone. I'm going there next week and was wondering what it's like

Was there when it opened first. Awful stringy steak, and got my side order wrong. Service was scatty and a bit all over the place. Maybe these were teething problems, but I won't be chancing spending close to €100 to find out.

Will stick to Freddies or the Cornstore

• Advertisement

Thanks cherry coke I heard the staff were a bit grand "that's the way it was put to me". I think I'll stick to Freddy's Can't fault the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Boradriver

Casa Nostra, Mount Kennett Place is lovely guys. Been there a few times now and I have to say that the service and food is second to none. Antonio who owns the place is so nice, he always greets you with a handshake everytime you go in. Really top notch food.

Went to Foleys (Ardagh) over Christmas for a meal with friends... amazing food, itching to get back, would happily not bother with Limerick city for a long time after it

• Registered Users Posts: 6 greigluke

had the 2 course special in fusion Chinese restaurant out in dooradoyle the other evening and it was very lovely..great service aswell. Would also recommend foleys out in reens ardagh..top notch food and service

greigluke wrote: »
    had the 2 course special in fusion Chinese restaurant out in dooradoyle the other evening and it was very lovely..great service aswell. Would also recommend foleys out in reens ardagh..top notch food and service

Just convinced the OH to go back on Saturday! Can't remember the last time we got so excited about a restaurant. Beats anywhere we've tried in Limerick by far! Might tip over to Reens for a few New Years bevvies while we're at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

gg2 wrote: »
    Just convinced the OH to go back on Saturday! Can't remember the last time we got so excited about a restaurant. Beats anywhere we've tried in Limerick by far! Might tip over to Reens for a few New Years bevvies while we're at it!

YOu have to query the quality of a place that thinks salmon is vegetarian though...

shaka wrote: »
    Went to Texas steakhouse before match last night, Brie was cold in the middle and t bone steak was average at best.

A relative adores this place so we go there when they have an occasion on, its absolute muck. Everything seems to have been bought from the supermarket freezer section, steaks are nice - ish but everything else puts me right out. Pity it is such a lovely place
    Parchment wrote: »
    YOu have to query the quality of a place that thinks salmon is vegetarian though...

I'd say thats an issue of intelligence, definately couldn't fault the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Went to Bambu for the first time in an age the other night - three course meal for 16.50, food was amazing (the ribs... mmmmm), staff very attentive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

leakyboots wrote: »
    Went to Bambu for the first time in an age the other night - three course meal for 16.50, food was amazing (the ribs... mmmmm), staff very attentive.

I used to absolutely love this place but it went very downhill about two years back and we have not been back since. Might give it a try again.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

h3000 wrote: »
    I used to absolutely love this place but it went very downhill about two years back and we have not been back since. Might give it a try again.

Yeah, same, I had awful hassle trying to get a takeaway one day. Admittedly it was after a Munster match, but I rang a good 15-20 mins away while I walked in to town and I was still waiting another 30 mins after that when I arrived. The other day was my first time back since, had a couple of disappointing takeaways after that.

Think that was back when they did Italian too.

Advertisement