Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Its under new ownership now and is much better. The €10 lunch deal is great value!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭1moreyr

Was in the Hi-Way Restaurant over the Christmas and have to say was really impressed. Just had main course (baked chicken in a beautiful sauce with loads of veg and potatoes). Will definitely be back for their 4 course meal for €19.99. Food and service was terrific. They also do 2 main courses for €18 on certain days.

Really happy to find a nice restaurant in Raheen/Dooradoyle area as had tried the Unicorn Bar and to say was disappointed is an understatement. The brie came with sauce on the side, no garnish, no salad, just lumps of cheese. My daughters food was cold. The toilets were disgusting. Only good thing was the nice waiter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Taikichi is a superb restaurant. The staff are extremely friendly and very helpful. They are very happy to describe any unfamiliar dish in detail.

It says a lot that, when I see almost no one in restaurants beside it(Badass and Wokking), there isn't a table free in Taikichi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭TheGunns

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Taikichi is a superb restaurant. The staff are extremely friendly and very helpful. They are very happy to describe any unfamiliar dish in detail.

It says a lot that, when I see almost no one in restaurants beside it(Badass and Wokking), there isn't a table free in Taikichi.

Is it all sushi or do they have things similar to a chinese? Considering going there in a couple weeks but not entirely sure if I'll be able to stomach sushi for dinner :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

Was in Marco Polo last week, have to say the food was very average, service was just ok, the price was good tho. Very loud and not much ambience, if its a nice quite place your after to have dinner, this is not the place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

We decided to treat ourselves with a Chinese today, spotted Star House on just eat and decided to order from there. Their curries were only €5 which really impressed me but unfortunately they don't include free rice or chips with that. Anyway I went ahead and ordered two curries, two portions of rice and two cans of Club Orange. It came to €18 and was delivered by a nice young fella, my mother gave him a tip of €2 as well. Anyway we went ahead and started getting the plates ready and all that, dished up the food and noticed the drinks weren't in there, we decided since he got a tip and all that we weren't going to let it off, we gave them a ring and they were very nice, they had the drinks delivered to us in time to wash down the last of the meal. Very good service from them, it was our own fault really for not double checking the bag when he was dropping it in. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

TheGunns wrote: »
    Is it all sushi or do they have things similar to a chinese? Considering going there in a couple weeks but not entirely sure if I'll be able to stomach sushi for dinner :o

No there's plenty of choice in there - don't worry about that. I had beef teriaki which was beautiful. Passed it again last night, very busy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

What's la picola like? Often looked in and no one in it like yesterday and other places all busy for Sunday lunch/dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

bigpink wrote: »
    What's la picola like? Often looked in and no one in it like yesterday and other places all busy for Sunday lunch/dinner

IMHO, it's the best Italian restaurant in Limerick! It's closed Sunday, however the pizzeria is open Sunday evenings and is normally jammers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Place looks a bit shabby and dark,we looked in and no one inside so just walked to bambu instead.All the places around there were busy not a good sign imo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Place looks a bit shabby and dark,we looked in and no one inside so just walked to bambu instead.All the places around there were busy not a good sign imo

Do you ever say anything positive about anything in Limerick? La Picola has a great reputation, going back decades at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Do you ever say anything positive about anything in Limerick? La Picola has a great reputation, going back decades at this stage.

Yes indeed eaten there a few times and never a complaint very consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I've always heard great things about La Picola but I have to say I tried the place three times and never left happy. I may have been very unlucky but it just never done it for me. I'm a big Italian fan and would love a good one in Limerick but I been left disappointment since San Lorenzo closed up :(

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

h3000 wrote: »
    I've always heard great things about La Picola but I have to say I tried the place three times and never left happy. I may have been very unlucky but it just never done it for me. I'm a big Italian fan and would love a good one in Limerick but I been left disappointment since San Lorenzo closed up :(

I feel the same. I hear a lot of great things about La Picola but I'm not a fan. whenever I went there, I felt the service and food were average.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I was never in la picola. So I don't know what it's like but my daughter loves the place. It's her favourite restaurant in limerick

I was never in la picola. So I don't know what it's like but my daughter loves the place. It's her favourite restaurant in limerick

Its both my family and my OH's family's favorite restaurant as well as my aunt and uncle both love going there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Got takeaway three or four times in La piccola only once was it average every other time it was delish and sat in one night and was ....amazing and the staff in there are lovely

Best place to get stuff like KFC ...only done right ? as in I'd love to try southern fried chicken breast and stuff like that only cooked properly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Is there any really nice deli / sandwich places in Limerick?? Not your usual Centra deli, or any type of franchise like O'briens, something along the likes of this place http://www.pigandheifer.ie/our-menu/main-menu.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Best place to get stuff like KFC ...only done right ? as in I'd love to try southern fried chicken breast and stuff like that only cooked properly

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for! But if you have the time to cook for yourself, this recipe is fantastic: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056852574 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ciaranflynn

Went to jasmine palace for Sunday buffet today,the buffets are fabulous and I was pleasantly surprise they have very delicious sushi .....Great food

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Went to the cornstore today.

We had gotten a gift voucher for 100 euro.

Went for sunday lunch from set menu, 2 adults and one child.

There was not enough in the 100 euro to cover this, we had to back it 5 euro.
    bear in mind there was a carafe(500ml) and four cokes - we really know to celebrate!!

Food was ok and I mean ok.

Service was very good, not exceptional but quite good.

If it had been good we would be back in the future but way over priced, I am open to correction on this.

My son did not eat his food (kids can be tricky though) and my prawns for the starter still had the intestines in them - rookie error there. Very very long wait for my sons dessert, but once this was pointed out it was fixed immediatly.

To be honest while service was top notch the food compared with good carvery.

I would avoid in future.

And to clarify I have been there in the past and for different reasons left with a non satisfactory experience.

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for! But if you have the time to cook for yourself, this recipe is fantastic: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056852574 :)

Gonna try that during the week cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

I hear great things about chicken hut, but have never been :D I have to say I do enjoy Superbites on the rare occasion.... usually when very drunk OR very hungover.... It is what it is!

Birdie086 wrote: »
    Went to the cornstore today.

We had gotten a gift voucher for 100 euro.

Went for sunday lunch from set menu, 2 adults and one child.

There was not enough in the 100 euro to cover this, we had to back it 5 euro.
    bear in mind there was a carafe(500ml) and four cokes - we really know to celebrate!!

Food was ok and I mean ok.

Service was very good, not exceptional but quite good.

If it had been good we would be back in the future but way over priced, I am open to correction on this.

My son did not eat his food (kids can be tricky though) and my prawns for the starter still had the intestines in them - rookie error there. Very very long wait for my sons dessert, but once this was pointed out it was fixed immediatly.

To be honest while service was top notch the food compared with good carvery.

I would avoid in future.

And to clarify I have been there in the past and for different reasons left with a non satisfactory experience.

I was there on Christmas Eve and the service was top notch - whether they had too many on at the time as they werent overly busy on CE lunchtime, had lunch with a friend and it really hit the spot.

Strange as I always find the quality of food in there to be very good. One question and I'm not trying to be smart but did you raise your concerns about your starter with the waiting staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

No and I was sorry later, everything was ok and service was good, I just thought it was way overpriced.

I am probably not their target market though so fair enough.

That makes my review irrelevent really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Ate in the Japanese place earlier in the week. Was very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Ate in the Japanese place earlier in the week. Was very impressed.

Really going to have to give this place a try.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement

Had a pizza from casa nostra tonight. Absolutely lovely! Highly reccomended

Advertisement