Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Does anyone know the name of the new Thai restaurant on O'Connell street?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

h3000 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the name of the new Thai restaurant on O'Connell street?

Kaya. Looks like their website is at kaya.ie

Anyone been yet or heard anything? I do love Bambu but I'll be trying out the lunch in Kaya soon to compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

le_girl wrote: »

Anyone been yet or heard anything? I do love Bambu but I'll be trying out the lunch in Kaya soon to compare.

Had lunch there today and was very impressed! Everything really fresh, service was great too. Much better than Bambu !!

le_girl wrote: »

I actually went the other evening and was really impressed. Like Pacifico said the food was really fresh and tasty. It's even better than the Bambu was when it (the Bambu) was really good. It will give the Thai Gourmet a run for their money too.

I actually went the other evening and was really impressed. Like Pacifico said the food was really fresh and tasty. It's even better than the Bambu was when it (the Bambu) was really good. It will give the Thai Gourmet a run for their money too.

I must be the only one who still loves Bambu!

Thanks for the feedback, I'll give Kaya a go this weekend :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Doesnt look like they do takeaway - those prices are steep too for the takeaway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Any reviews on Kaya yet?

Also has anyone tried the Indian in The South Court? - any opinions. they are advertising a buffet on Sundays....i do love indian and i do love buffets....

Parchment wrote: »
    Any reviews on Kaya yet?
    Posts 544 and 545 above :)

Posts 544 and 545 above :)

Its early! i plead for forgiveness.

I gave Kaya a go over the weekend. It was pretty good and quite busy so it seems like they're doing well. It's really nice inside, too.

The starters were great as was my friends Rendang Curry but my Nasi Goreng was really bland and missing a component so I wouldn't recommend that particular dish!

I still prefer Bambu overall but Kaya is definitely worth a go if you're into Thai food.

• Advertisement

I was in La Cucina at the weekend food was ok - salad was drenched in dressing, i had a pizza slice which had been sitting out for FAR too long and was like leather - i didnt manage to eat most of the crust as it was too hard.

Other half enjoyed his food. Service was unfriendly as usual - one staff member really doesnt like her job!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Was in Marco Polo yesterday for lunch, food itself, pretty standard, nothing to call home about(although all the extra euros they've added to the menu recently, almost everything bar lasagne is an extra charge, is really annoying)
    But the service in there has gone to absolute **** in recent weeks.. Uncaring waitresses, getting order completely wrong, unwilling to admit they were wrong, not changing water bottle from previous customer saying "it's half full it's grand"
    Used to love it in there, but it Seems to have really nose dived recently..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Hearing really bad things about Marco Polo of late. Not good for their reputation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Its the same company as woking jasmine etc think all the foos the prepped in a industrial kitchen
    Its cheap food(nothing wrong with that) but thinking its top class with a blingy interior

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

There is one waitress in there who has an awful attitude. On 3 seperate visits we've been served by her and each time she has been VERY rude. slamming knives and forks, bringing down the complete wrong dish and huffing and puffing when asked to change it and various other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^ wheres this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Marco Polo, I think.

Yeah Marco Polo. Still think the lunch menu is decent value but I wouldn't go there any other time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

marco polo you say, must go in there to wind her up ;)

is she irish or foreign

She's english. Skinny enough think her hair is a mousey/gingery/fair kind of colour. Real soir expression anytime ive seen her.

Im wondering is it the same one that gave the poster above the half used bottle of water as she did that with us as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 jonz

Parchment wrote: »
    I was in La Cucina at the weekend food was ok - salad was drenched in dressing, i had a pizza slice which had been sitting out for FAR too long and was like leather - i didnt manage to eat most of the crust as it was too hard.

Other half enjoyed his food. Service was unfriendly as usual - one staff member really doesnt like her job!

Glad I'm not the only one who finds the service so bad at la cucina.

I have been a regular visiter here for well over 2 years now as i enjoyed the food. However over this time the service was only ok and not very welcoming for regulars.

The service seems to have taken a nose dive downward after christmas. My last 2 visits have left me very disappointed and even the food is of only ok standard now. Had to go to till to give order, waited over 30mins for the food, never came to check everything was ok and didnt come near us when we had finished the food. I gave up and didnt bother getting my usual coffee.

LaCucina has now lost a regular visitor as I will not be going back there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Has anyone trolled the waitress in Marco Polo by saying Marco and wait for her to say Polo? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

JustLen wrote: »
    She's english. Skinny enough think her hair is a mousey/gingery/fair kind of colour. Real soir expression anytime ive seen her.

Im wondering is it the same one that gave the poster above the half used bottle of water as she did that with us as well
    Yup that's the one.. She's a real pleasure..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Yup that's the one.. She's a real pleasure..

I've gone into Marco Polo a few times but I haven't come across her yet thankfully. I'll have a look out for her next time I'm in there.

I'll give Marco Polo a miss this weekend. I'll try out Chocolat's lunch menu later on with the nephew to see if it's to my liking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

As said previously in the thread, Limerick is crying out for a decent pizza delivery option! I just want a nice pizza without having to put on pants!

miralize wrote: »
    As said previously in the thread, Limerick is crying out for a decent pizza delivery option! I just want a nice pizza without having to put on pants!

try Casa Nova.

Ate in Kaya today - unfortunately. We were only provided with the set menu for sunday lunch - i had to ask could i order from the main menu - which i was allowed to do.

Friendly but slow/unprofessional service (had to get their attention to order, to pay and to have new cutlery provided), MINUSCULE portions - really really insulting.

My main was about 13e and it was about a tea-cup full of curry with a few random veg thrown into it and about 3 pieces of tofu - none of the cashew nuts mentioned on the menu for that particular dish. Equally tiny noodle portion with it.

Other half got about 5-6 pieces of lamb in his meal and about 12 chips in a tiny bowl - which were also served in two tiny bowls akin to something you would use for dips/salsa!.Food was ok quality but nothing special.

Very depressing and a total rip-off we paid 35e for our meal. I have eaten in many authentic thai places before abroad and portions are smaller than Irish pub grub styles obviously but not to the point where i actually balked when i saw the size of my meal.

I came out of their very disappointed. I will certainly not be going there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Cedar House or Casa Nova. Both do amazing pizza, relatively cheap; Cedar House is very fast delivery time usually and Casa Nova deliver a little later than other places last I checked.

On another note, though it's old news by now, if you are the kind that likes to learn new silly old things as well as going for a tasty dish, I highly recommend Taikichi. The food is good enough to teach you the patience to learn how to use chopstick :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

GodlessM wrote: »
    Cedar House or Casa Nova. Both do amazing pizza, relatively cheap; Cedar House is very fast delivery time usually and Casa Nova deliver a little later than other places last I checked.

On another note, though it's old news by now, if you are the kind that likes to learn new silly old things as well as going for a tasty dish, I highly recommend Taikichi. The food is good enough to teach you the patience to learn how to use chopstick :p

Do Casa Nova / Cedar House do traditional italian style pizza? Thats the sort of thing I'm after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Do Casa Nova / Cedar House do traditional italian style pizza? Thats the sort of thing I'm after.

I've never been to Italy, so I'm not really qualified to answer that question. I find that no two places' pizza is ever the same anyway.

Advertisement