Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

I've eaten twice in The Gandelow (part of Peter Clohessy's) since Christmas and have to say I found it excellent on both occasions. Lovely interior, good service and good food.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Parchment wrote: »
    Ate in Kaya today - unfortunately. We were only provided with the set menu for sunday lunch - i had to ask could i order from the main menu - which i was allowed to do.

Friendly but slow/unprofessional service (had to get their attention to order, to pay and to have new cutlery provided), MINUSCULE portions - really really insulting.

My main was about 13e and it was about a tea-cup full of curry with a few random veg thrown into it and about 3 pieces of tofu - none of the cashew nuts mentioned on the menu for that particular dish. Equally tiny noodle portion with it.

Other half got about 5-6 pieces of lamb in his meal and about 12 chips in a tiny bowl - which were also served in two tiny bowls akin to something you would use for dips/salsa!.Food was ok quality but nothing special.

Very depressing and a total rip-off we paid 35e for our meal. I have eaten in many authentic thai places before abroad and portions are smaller than Irish pub grub styles obviously but not to the point where i actually balked when i saw the size of my meal.

I came out of their very disappointed. I will certainly not be going there again.

Have never been in Thai Gourmet for a sit down meal but the Thai food there is lovely whenever I got takeaway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Parchment wrote: »
    Ate in Kaya today - unfortunately. We were only provided with the set menu for sunday lunch - i had to ask could i order from the main menu - which i was allowed to do.

Friendly but slow/unprofessional service (had to get their attention to order, to pay and to have new cutlery provided), MINUSCULE portions - really really insulting.

My main was about 13e and it was about a tea-cup full of curry with a few random veg thrown into it and about 3 pieces of tofu - none of the cashew nuts mentioned on the menu for that particular dish. Equally tiny noodle portion with it.

Other half got about 5-6 pieces of lamb in his meal and about 12 chips in a tiny bowl - which were also served in two tiny bowls akin to something you would use for dips/salsa!.Food was ok quality but nothing special.

Very depressing and a total rip-off we paid 35e for our meal. I have eaten in many authentic thai places before abroad and portions are smaller than Irish pub grub styles obviously but not to the point where i actually balked when i saw the size of my meal.

I came out of their very disappointed. I will certainly not be going there again.
    I've ate there myself and enjoyed it, I did not experience the bad service. I do agree though that the portions could be bigger.
    Mc Love wrote: »
    Have never been in Thai Gourmet for a sit down meal but the Thai food there is lovely whenever I got takeaway
    Thai Gourmet is absolutely top notch.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Kaya will do well cause its trendy looking look at chocolat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

bigpink wrote: »
    Kaya will do well cause its trendy looking look at chocolat

Chocolat is cheap...Kaya is not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 antasaliarainn

Is Chocolat part of a large chain? ie Jasmine Palace etc? Maybe that why its cheap. Bring everything in from China cheap and that includes the labour. Its one way to serve cheap food. Hope Kaya used some locals. Saw Duggan Glass there before it opened so maybe some money stayed in Limerick. Mate of mine ate there last week and loved it so Im hoping to get there before Paddys Day. Any recommendations on dishes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Kaya.. Nice lunch yes but nothing special.. Green curry very good though

Just very slow service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Tried Chocolat last weekend, thought it was cheap and cheerful with really good portion sizes. My Thai red curry coulda been spicier though. I'll give the Cornstore in Thomas street a go tomorrow for lunch, I heard good things about it. Anyone here try the lunch menu there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

does chocolat serve savoury?? with that name i thought it was just sweet stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

philstar wrote: »
    does chocolat serve savoury?? with that name i thought it was just sweet stuff

They do. Quite similar to marco polo, same owners similar menu and prices etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Tried Chocolat last weekend, thought it was cheap and cheerful with really good portion sizes. My Thai red curry coulda been spicier though. I'll give the Cornstore in Thomas street a go tomorrow for lunch, I heard good things about it. Anyone here try the lunch menu there?

Cornstore is very overrated IMO. Very bland and I think you pay more than it is worth.

GodlessM wrote: »
    Cornstore is very overrated IMO. Very bland and I think you pay more than it is worth.

Really? One of my favourite restauarants in the city, always find it to be top notch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Is there anywhere decent for a late night bite, bar typical fast food ie chicken hut :-)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

JustLen wrote: »
    They do. Quite similar to marco polo, same owners similar menu and prices etc

I'd put it a step higher than Marco Polo. I reckon it's better than Hamptons too.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

An File wrote: »
    I'd put it a step higher than Marco Polo. I reckon it's better than Hamptons too.

Id rate the Hamptons as the worst of the three any way thats for certain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Curry house in south court is super Indian. Best in town IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

I tried the new Thai, A-roi at the weekend and it was very, very good.

Everything was really fresh and delicious and the service was great - they were all very keen to give advice and make sure that we were happy. They also have bottles of sriracha on every table which I was happy about!

They were giving out a free scoop of ice cream for dessert and when we went to the front to pay we saw why - they have a selection of ice creams for sale in cones or cups. Kind of unusual for a Thai restaurant but it was very good ice cream!

Overall we were really impressed and will definitely be back to try more. Having been here, I'm even less impressed thinking back on the meal I had in Kaya - I won't be giving them a second try.

Aroi have a menu up at aroi.eu but no Facebook page or anything that I could find as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

+ 1 Aroi.

Authentic Asian food, not drowning in salt or sauce with very attentive staff.
    Will definitely be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Anyone been in the Wokking lately ? The food on the menu inside is nothing like it used to be ... and has different dishes to those on the website ?

??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I went to Hamptons for a family dinner tonight. Despite all my concerns from the negative comments on this thread I was very happy. The food was lovely, the service was quick, and all for very good value. I gave the ramekins of side orders a weird look when they arrived but when you see the giant slab of meat they give you (I'm talking about the steak, duck and chicken florentine in particular) the serving sizes are actually pretty great.

A+ for Hamptons from me. B+ from my Mum. Believe me, this is good.

Top tip: The duck is amazing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Funnily enough the last two restaurants that I ate lunch in were Hamptons and Aroi, last weekend and just earlier on today.

I've eaten in the Hampton's several times since it opened and usually I am not disappointed. Last weekend the food was reasonably tasty but the service was nonexistent. After the order was taken we were basically ignored. No follow up to see if everything was okay. Trying to get a waiter's attention was very difficult and restaurant was practically empty. We spent more time waiting than eating.

Aroi. It was fantastic. Ordered Pad Thai and it was so tasty, not too sweet like Bambu. The staff were so attentive and friendly. The chef even walked around from table to table asking if everything was okay with the food. The free icecream was really nice too. To top it off the prices were very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Hearing (and seeing!) good things from Aroi since it opened. Can't wait to try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

I've eaten in the Hampton's several times since it opened and usually I am not disappointed. Last weekend the food was reasonably tasty but the service was nonexistent. After the order was taken we were basically ignored. No follow up to see if everything was okay. Trying to get a waiter's attention was very difficult and restaurant was practically empty. We spent more time waiting than eating.

I was in Hamptons yesterday and have to say the service was top notch! Food was very good, and we were served very quickly, very good value too.

Star House or CoCo Chinese any good?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Dying to try this aroi place!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is peckish gone?? didn't last long

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

fryup wrote: »
    is peckish gone?? didn't last long

I guess we didnt quite live up to their name! :pac: :pac: :pac:

I need to lie down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

I got dinner in La Chocolat during the week. Starters, Main and dessert for two people for ~€45, not bad! Food was lovely too :)

I ate in Franklin's in the Crescent today too, they kind of had a small carvery going. €9.90 for turkey, spuds and two veg with stuffing and gravy. I'll be calling in there instead of Subway when in need of a quick lunch from now on :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

131spanner wrote: »
    I got dinner in La Chocolat during the week. Starters, Main and dessert for two people for ~€45, not bad! Food was lovely too :)

I hope you mean Chocolat. Le Chocolat is the hair and beauty salon around the corner! :P :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

An File wrote: »
    I hope you mean Chocolat. Le Chocolat is the hair and beauty salon around the corner! :P :D

Yes! Chocolat indeed, I'd be a while waiting for a lasagna in the salon :D

Edit: Eating at La Piccola is where I picked up the "La", close but not close enough :o

Advertisement