Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I saw that Aroi won best ethnic restaurant in Ireland on the Irish Times end of year food awards, delighted to see it. Fantastic food and great and friendly service always, particularly from the owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

maryk123 wrote: »
    Was in Texas last night. Excellent

Was in there before Xmas and very disappointed with the steak. Missus thought the same for hers. She had some chicken dish or something.
    Before that we were in the Clarion in early December and the food was absolutely gorgeous there in Synergie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I saw that Aroi won best ethnic restaurant in Ireland on the Irish Times end of year food awards, delighted to see it. Fantastic food and great and friendly service always, particularly from the owners.

Good to hear, must try it again. Only tried it once myself and it was indeed superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I've yet to hear of someone come away from that place unimpressed. It ticks all the boxes and I'm delighted to see they are staying so busy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Can you get take away from there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭djdunny

Mc Love wrote: »
    Can you get take away from there

You sure can, If you don't want to be too adventurous try the pineapple fried rice. But be warned its a huge feed :)

The stand out dishes from Aroi in my opinion (I've at least tasted most of the menu by now:o) are the yellow fish curry, crabmeat fried rice, tom yam goong and the Calamari in squid ink and ginger sauce.
    But the dish that impressed the Irish Times reviewer so much that they won the award was the Hake in banana leaf (haven't had that one).

Now that they've opened a place in Cork I hope that they don't become a bit laid back in Limerick, no signs that they are so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

magma69 wrote: »
    I've yet to hear of someone come away from that place unimpressed. It ticks all the boxes and I'm delighted to see they are staying so busy. :)

Its decent but i dont think its all that and the staff are a tad smothering in there. I can see why people like it but i just dont get the hype. I ate in Aroi in Cork and it was the same - average, fine but average.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭squonk

I wouldn't call it average. I've only gotten througha few items from the menu with varied reactions but their red duck curry is great. Their fish cakes are great as well. I found the checken with cashew nuts to be quite nice but very heavilly flavoured. They are a cut above the norm and I definitely don't think they could be called average at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

Had lunch with the mother in the Railway Hotel, it was very disappointing, everything was bland. I had southern fried chicken with mashed potatoes, carrots and cauliflower. I had to cover everything in salt because it was like eating cardboard otherwise. :( Definitely wasn't worth €10, even though it's a large portion.

• Advertisement

Applause wrote: »
    Had lunch with the mother in the Railway Hotel, it was very disappointing, everything was bland. I had southern fried chicken with mashed potatoes, carrots and cauliflower. I had to cover everything in salt because it was like eating cardboard otherwise. :( Definitely wasn't worth €10, even though it's a large portion.

I am not sure why you expected much from The Railway Hotel?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Tried out AROI yesterday evening, ordered started main and sides to try a bit of everything, very enjoyable food. Staff bit over interested in how we were getting on , four times someone came over to see if everything was ok.

Would really recommend it as a causal place to get some food. Place itself is basic/cosy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Fireball07 wrote: »
    That El Toro BBQ place on Henry Street looks class. Saw a few pictures on my facebook feed, and the food looked really good. Menu seems right down my street though.....

Anyone been?

thumbs up from me

skewered beef lovely, sweet potato chips lovely and corn on a cob lovely

i'll be back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Went for lunch there in Kaya today. €9.50. Fresh and very tasty. Would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 onliner

Had the buffet lunch in the Peony (Punches Cross) recently with a group of about 15 people. Praise all round and the lunch was about 10 euro for 3 courses great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Had fish and chips from the fishbar old cafe Lazio in the market highly impressed great fish light batter lovely chips 6.50

sioda wrote: »
    Had fish and chips from the fishbar old cafe Lazio in the market highly impressed great fish light batter lovely chips 6.50

Yes, I've had fish & chips from whatever they're called now - very good quality. I like that they included tartare sauce and lemon slices for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Anyone been to the Treasury? I'm hearing great things. A friend said it was better than the Market Sq was! If this is true I'm highly impressed. Dying to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭moby2101

Sinead Mc1 wrote: »
    Anyone been to the Treasury? I'm hearing great things. A friend said it was better than the Market Sq was! If this is true I'm highly impressed. Dying to go!

It's bloody good!
    Going again in a fortnight for a birthday slap up meal... it's expensive but it's easily the best restaurant in Limerick at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

sioda wrote: »

Decent portions and the fish is fresh.

Their chowder is quite nice also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

lockman wrote: »
    Decent portions and the fish is fresh.

Their chowder is quite nice also.

Is it Rene Cusack?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Is it Rene Cusack?

Yes, I believe so.

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Is it Rene Cusack?

Yes, that's it - thanks.

We got takeaway from Akasaka on Catherine St. tonight - really impressed, the staff were lovely. The food was really fresh - the menu is vast and yes there is both Chinese and Japanese dishes but i dont think that took from the Japanese dishes i had. I would consider myself pretty picky about Japanese food and this was great.

On par with the other Japanese place in the city.It was quiet in there but it didnt bother me. The staff were so lovely and it was great to see the sushi chef working away at the counter.

It has more options than Taikichi so might be a better option for us in the future as my other half isnt as gone on Japanese food as i am.

Give it a try - its really worth it!

Parchment wrote: »
    We got takeaway from Akasaka on Catherine St. tonight - really impressed, the staff were lovely. The food was really fresh - the menu is vast and yes there is both Chinese and Japanese dishes but i dont think that took from the Japanese dishes i had. I would consider myself pretty picky about Japanese food and this was great.

On par with the other Japanese place in the city.It was quiet in there but it didnt bother me. The staff were so lovely and it was great to see the sushi chef working away at the counter.

It has more options than Taikichi so might be a better option for us in the future as my other half isnt as gone on Japanese food as i am.

Give it a try - its really worth it!

Thanks for that review, good to hear.

To be honest I never gave the place a second thought when I noticed that they were doing Chinese food as well, what on earth were they thinking? They should have had the balls to stick with the Japanese and to hell with the chicken balls and curry with no onions brigade.
    I will certainly give it a shot now though so it's your responsibility;)

Thanks for that review, good to hear.

To be honest I never gave the place a second thought when I noticed that they were doing Chinese food as well, what on earth were they thinking? They should have had the balls to stick with the Japanese and to hell with the chicken balls and curry with no onions brigade.
    I will certainly give it a shot now though so it's your responsibility;)

I was the same - i thought they had "tainted" their image with the Chinese menu addition but now i know they havent. The food was excellent. I had all Japanese dishes (a few smaller dishes) and my other half had a Japanese Curry. All were excellent. So fresh and beautifully prepared.

The staff were so genuinely lovely - which topped off the experience.

Report back when you try it! I bet you will thank me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Will be in Limerick tomorrow with the family. Plan is the to head into town for lunch, looking for good food reasonably priced. Am I right in thinking Chocolat have a good deal on food in the middle of the day?

Parchment wrote: »
    I was the same - i thought they had "tainted" their image with the Chinese menu addition but now i know they havent. The food was excellent. I had all Japanese dishes (a few smaller dishes) and my other half had a Japanese Curry. All were excellent. So fresh and beautifully prepared.

The staff were so genuinely lovely - which topped off the experience.

Report back when you try it! I bet you will thank me!

Got a takeaway from Akasaka last night and while it was fine I'm unlikely to go back when Taikichi is providing an alternative.
    We had a selection of things, some were good, others not so great.
    We had the "double spicy" sushi roll (10.50) which was fine but it had crabstick when crab was what was supposed to be in it, still very tasty though to be fair.
    The katsu curry was a disappointment as Taikichi's version is outstanding.
    The roast duck rice bowl (E11) was just rice with a little soy sauce and cucumber and a sliced duck breast on top, I expected more t be honest.
    Gyosa were very good but not better than Taikichi's by any means.
    Japanese chicken wings were a little underdone for wings (not dangerously so) I expect wings to have a little bit of a crunch to them.

Overall, fine but an inferior experience to Limericks existing Japanese restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Went to o Connor yesterday for breakfast. Very sad breakfast. Definitely won't be going back. Was in flannerys Denmark street and the breakfast there was fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Went to Verona in dooradoyle for coffee on Friday and it looks great , no sample of food but great addition it looks like

Advertisement