Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mr. TTime

Anyone have any experience of dining in the new Kyoto restaurant on George's quay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Mr. TTime wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience of dining in the new Kyoto restaurant on George's quay?

Food nice, good service. Worth a visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭893bet

Mr Noodle. Worth a visit!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

The decline in quality in Aroi was really noticeable on my last visit. It's been on a slippery slope since the Eddie left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    The decline in quality in Aroi was really noticeable on my last visit. It's been on a slippery slope since the Eddie left.
    Went to their new restaurant in mallow Khao. Food fab as always. They are missed from Limerick. Worth a visit if you ever passing mallow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

yogalady wrote:
    Went to their new restaurant in mallow Khao. Food fab as always. They are missed from Limerick. Worth a visit if you ever passing mallow

Why did they move, does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

It's a kip. The shop is a disaster, there's feck all groceries there. A total waste of a prime retail unit.

As for the buffet?

The chicken curry is nice, the rest is mostly bland cheap crap. Pizza is awful, desserts are a mouthful portion. I felt embarrassed in there with the amount of times I would have to grab a plate in order to get a decent portion.

I wouldn't set foot in there again. I've said it before, the chain of restaurants run by the Jasmin group are mostly awful.

I went in there for lunch. One of the options appears to be bones covered in sauce. The "meat" appeared to be marrow. I think it was supposed to be spare ribs or something but there was literally no meat just skin and fat and marrow and bone. 90% was inedible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Was just in the Hamptons normally the food is very good but tonight it was only meh....
    Hope it's just a one off as the service is always superb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭phog

kilburn wrote: »
    Was just in the Hamptons normally the food is very good but tonight it was only meh....
    Hope it's just a one off as the service is always superb

I hope you ring them to complain or have complained already.

A few weeks back I got a fish & chips takeaway, the cod was terrible. I rang the owner the following day to complain, he offered a free meal and said he'd talk to the staff that were on that night. I've no idea if he did or didn't but felt he should know in case he'd lose out on business. Tonight I gave it another chance and was very happy with my purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Have been there twice in two months and I wouldn't call it spectacular. Decent by all means but average fare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Itsdacraic wrote: »

Whats the story, have the original people involved left the business?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

shaka wrote: »
    Whats the story, have the original people involved left the business?

Yes, they were only running/managing the business, they weren't the owners.
    They now have their own restaurant in Mallow which unsurprisingly is the now the top rated restaurant on Trip Advisor for the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Speaking of Thai, I tried Lana for the first time last week.

Had a bit of a strange experience, in that both I and my dining partner ordered the same dish, but received drastically different servings; I got all the noodles and she got all the chicken and prawns!

Once we redressed the massive imbalance, both the food and the free ice-cream were very good, but it was still a bit disappointing to have to do that.

AlanOB wrote: »
    Speaking of Thai, I tried Lana for the first time last week.

Had a bit of a strange experience, in that both I and my dining partner ordered the same dish, but received drastically different servings; I got all the noodles and she got all the chicken and prawns!

Once we redressed the massive imbalance, both the food and the free ice-cream were very good, but it was still a bit disappointing to have to do that.

Which Lana, Castletroy or Raheen?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Castletroy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Recommendations for pub grub in the city center?

Like Glen Tavern. Bobby Byrne's is too far up town though.

What places are nice nearer Thomas Street and Market Quarter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Cobblestone Joes seem to do decent pizzas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Really nice but just too dear.Got the meat one it was 13euro would have eaten another it was so thin

bigpink wrote: »
    Really nice but just too dear.Got the meat one it was 13euro would have eaten another it was so thin

I was there recently and they looked good but I didn't eat. Didn't realise they were dear.

I was there recently and they looked good but I didn't eat. Didn't realise they were dear.

In fairness prob was the dearest on the menu but are very thin

• Advertisement

AlanOB wrote: »
    Castletroy.

I had similar happen in Raheen.

I find them to be too spicy.

Any other decent pub grub down town? Not pizza either. Lunches and dinners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I know it's not much use to most of you but Crokers in Murroe have some of the nicest pizzas I've ever had.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »
    I know it's not much use to most of you but Crokers in Murroe have some of the nicest pizzas I've ever had.

I doubt it........

Treepole wrote: »
    I doubt it........

Doubt what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

bigpink wrote:

Is 13e expensive for a pizza? What size is it approx?

h3000 wrote: »
    Doubt what?

My humour is too subtle for you. Forget about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I didn't get it either :o
    Any chance you'd explain for us?

I didn't get it either :o
    Any chance you'd explain for us?

It's an old saying

"I doubt it says Croker"

http://stuffinthangs.blogspot.ie/2010/12/i-doubt-it-says-croker.html

• Advertisement

I hope you're not trying to be condescending..

Never heard it before.

It is really good pizza though, some may not agree but I know many that do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭Tefral

I had the Pizza in La Cucina monday.. gotta say was underwhelmed. Fine size, just lacked the quality of the ones in Cobble Stones.

Ill probably be shot for saying it.

Tefral wrote: »
    I had the Pizza in La Cucina monday.. gotta say was underwhelmed. Fine size, just lacked the quality of the ones in Cobble Stones.

Ill probably be shot for saying it.

wooiu.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Well, he's on to something. La Cucina is superb for pasta dishes. For pizza, not so much.

I'm not sure what you mean, their pizzas are phenomenal especially the wagon wheel.

1. Papa Ginos
    2. LaPiccola Pizzeria
    3. LaCucina

That would be my preference in terms of best pizza in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Mc Love wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean, their pizzas are phenomenal especially the wagon wheel.

1. Papa Ginos
    2. LaPiccola Pizzeria
    3. LaCucina

That would be my preference in terms of best pizza in Limerick

La Cucina opening in Henry St. soon enough. Not sure if it was mentioned here before.

• Advertisement

Da Vincenzo is the nicest pizza I have ever had.

pajoguy wrote: »
    La Cucina opening in Henry St. soon enough. Not sure if it was mentioned here before.

Where abouts?

bigpink wrote: »
    Where abouts?

Where cafe cupcake used to be and a few other failed cafe's.

Exeggcute wrote: »
    Where cafe cupcake used to be and a few other failed cafe's.

They will do well had it once before and here its mobbed in castletroy

I was there on Saturday. I had a pollo ciabatta. Absolutely delicious but they could do with being a bit more generous. No side salad, no crisps. 5.70 for half a ciabatta roll with some chicken and lettuce is pretty steep no matter how good it tastes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Exeggcute wrote: »
    Da Vincenzo is the nicest pizza I have ever had.

that is a huge surprise to read, Da Vicenzo is a lovely restaurant and the pizzas are decent but really nothing to write home about in this day and age where good pizza is everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

that is a huge surprise to read, Da Vicenzo is a lovely restaurant and the pizzas are decent but really nothing to write home about in this day and age where good pizza is everywhere.

I'd also say that Da Vincenzo's are the nicest I've ever had. Different tastes maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Garry123

I would say that there isn't a proper Italian restaurant in Limerick, if not Ireland. Pasta & pizza do not represent food from Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Chicken curry with rice doesn't represent food from China either yet it's on the menu in every Chinese restaurant here.

Garry123 wrote: »
    I would say that there isn't a proper Italian restaurant in Limerick, if not Ireland. Pasta & pizza do not represent food from Italy.

Have you been to Italy? Do you know any Italians? They'd laugh in your face at your statement

I've been to Italy on many occasions. I have eaten both pasta and pizza while there and they are certainly part of the diet. I have also eaten Saltim Bocca, Ossobuco etc which I never see on menus here. I have never seen spaghetti bolognese in Italy, and I have been to Bologna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I've been to Italy on many occasions. I have eaten both pasta and pizza while there and they are certainly part of the diet. I have also eaten Saltim Bocca, Ossobuco etc which I never see on menus here. I have never seen spaghetti bolognese in Italy, and I have been to Bologna.

Well, they refer to Spag Bol as Ragu or something over there

So you'd like more veal on the menu in Irish Italian restaurants?

What you are getting is a general representation of Italian cuisine in Irish Italian restaurants. Each region in Italy has their own cuisine, you can hardly expect them to list every type of food. Even if they did, the quality of the food wouldn't even be good as there is so much choice and items on the menu that it would be impossible to keep food fresh.

Ragu is the sauce, which contains very little meat. Pasta is never eaten as a main meal, it is always the Secondi.

The typical Italian meal consists of

Antipasta
    Secondi (typically pasta, polenta etc)
    Primi (Meat, Fish etc)
    Dolce

Having eaten in Italy and eaten in Italian restaurants here, they are miles apart.

Having eaten in Italy and eaten in Italian restaurants here, they are miles apart.

Having been there myself and eaten in Italian restaurants, it depends on where you are dining as I mentioned above each region has their own cuisine.

In some of the restaurants I've dined in, there wasnt that much difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement