Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Caher123 wrote: »
    Hi,

I want to buy a gift voucher as a thank you present for a restaurant in Limerick. It will be for a couple. Any recommendations? Azure gets good reviews on trip advisor and seen the Corn store mentioned a few times on here.

Thanks

1826 in Adare is recognised as one of the finest restaurants in the country, it's the only place in Limerick with a reputation as strong as that.
    The French Table is nice, simple enough food very nicely cooked and presented, excellent service guaranteed.
    The Treasury is a new addition to fine dining in Limerick, to my shame I've still not been, too many kids hanging off me to get out at night time usually, my wife knows a thing or two and she raves about it having been there twice.
    As has been mentioned Freddies is usually very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Dracula!

I got a take away from Khing Thai on Saturday. Nasi Goreng and a Beef red curry. Both really good. I'd agree things are a little more spicy than Kaya which isn't necessarily a bad thing in my book! I actually found the last takeaway I got from Kaya a bit bland which is what prompted me to try this place.

I haven't eaten in so can't really comment on service other than the lady who was sorting out the takeaways was very pleasant and the food was quick and fresh.

They really need to get a website with their menu etc on it sorted if they want to increase footfall. The only info on the place is on this thread a few tripadvisor reviews and a sparse facebook page. Even getting photos of the menu on the facebook page would be an improvement.

I was in on Thursday night and had the Penang prawn curry which was really lovely.
    I agree they need a help with positive comments and I think they are not very clued in to to advertising online. I found the service really attentive and humble.

Big thumbs up from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭walsh08

Hi guys.I am looking for some advice as I cannot decide between these two restaurants.

I will be visiting Limerick soon with a group of friends and we will be going for dinner on the Saturday night.I have looked up restaurants on Tripadvisor and these two restaurants are the two top rated.
    I have looked at their menus online and both seem very nice.

Can anyone help me choose?Does either have better food/a better atmosphere etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I haven't eaten in Azur in a good while to be honest but I have to say Freddies Bistro is the best restaurant in Limerick in my opinion. Never fails to disappoint. A bit pricey though as lots of items on the menu have a supplement.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭ab4248

I agree, if the budget allows Id go Freddys every time. Azur is a close second tho :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I don't understand how Freddy's is so popular. I've been there loads of times as part of bigger family groups or work outings. Each time we were sitting on top of each other and the food was grand nothing special. The last time I was there a few months ago, it was a small group of friends and we were treated so badly. One of our group complained about her main being cold and the owner, who also serves there, actually tutted when she took the plate away and slapped it back down after heating it up. A muttered smart comment about it being roasting was said as she walked away. Desserts were the same, crepes that were meant to be hot were stone cold. Again we got a smart comment and the food begrudgingly heated up. No apology at any time and no effort at customer service. It's my last time there.

The French Table is lovely, gorgeous food & lovely staff. The Treasury is gorgeous, a bit pricey but worth the treat I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭walsh08

Thank you all for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭moby2101

I don't understand how Freddy's is so popular. I've been there loads of times as part of bigger family groups or work outings. Each time we were sitting on top of each other and the food was grand nothing special. The last time I was there a few months ago, it was a small group of friends and we were treated so badly. One of our group complained about her main being cold and the owner, who also serves there, actually tutted when she took the plate away and slapped it back down after heating it up. A muttered smart comment about it being roasting was said as she walked away. Desserts were the same, crepes that were meant to be hot were stone cold. Again we got a smart comment and the food begrudgingly heated up. No apology at any time and no effort at customer service. It's my last time there.

The French Table is lovely, gorgeous food & lovely staff. The Treasury is gorgeous, a bit pricey but worth the treat I think.

This
    It's so underwhelming, had dinner here a few weeks ago with a bunch of friends, someone else chose, it was really average

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭bennyl10

From personal experience Freddy's is drastically overrated.. decent food but there's better

Tough to beat cornstore imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Must be down to tastes as I had two dinners in Cornstore and they were very average.

Sash up at No.1 Pery square was beautiful a few weeks back when I was there for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Brennyjnr

For me Freddy's Bistro is a class restaurant I can highly recommend it. Only if the budget allows. Small groups recommended as a space is limited.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Freddys living on past rep id say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Has Chocolat changed hands? Was there last year and it was excellent.

Was there last week and it was an absolute disgrace.

gimmick wrote: »
    Has Chocolat changed hands? Was there last year and it was excellent.

Was there last week and it was an absolute disgrace.

not changed hands, but the chain itself has gone downhill drastically.. same ownership as marco polo afaik and it's starting to show big time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Didnt realise it was a chain.

Whatever they are doing, they should start doing the opposite. It was that bad.

Friend worked for them.
    They have a central kitchen for alot of the food and then send to the restaurants

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Their webpage is gone to sh!t too, no online menu or current offers displayed. You would swear they were going out of their way to send people somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Was in Chocolat Friday night and the place was far from full as it used to be. The food was not great either. Our table was not ready but i think thats a ploy they use just to get to spend money on cocktails.

And their takeaway the Woking is dead these days any one notice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

afaik the Woking is now separate/independent? Happy to be corrected

Was in Chocolat a few weeks ago and was disappointed. No early bird/a la carte anymore, just a lunch menu....at 8pm even! The excuse we got is they are revamping the menu. The food was OK, but not great. My cheesecake had clearly been there for a few days. Disappointing really.

• Advertisement

Well woking jasmine macro polo chocolat ze we ton were all the same owners i thought and have placea on ennis too

They use to have web site with all there restaurants linked

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The Ennis road one went independent ages ago and the town one recently I believe

Oh never knew that strange that

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Chocolate filled a niche in the early days of the recession as it was one of the first to offer good value evening meals. It's been living off that reputation since.

I'm pretty sure that Coqbull doesn't do takeaway but could anybody confirm

Chocolat have gotten rid of their 3 course lunch option for €15.. seems like a down right stupid idea.. now its a main and a coffee for €9 with a vastly reduced menu..

like surely most of their money would have been from that deal??.. place was never exactly busy at evening times..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mentioned a few pages back.

Probably not a great deal of money to be made in a 15e three course lunch in one of the primest real estate locations in Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Got invited to Collins after recent posts in this thread and from word of mouth from friends, and I was pleasantly surprised. Food looked great and tasted great and the staff were very friendly. Some turnaround from the last time I was there. Noticed on the door that they won a gastropub award for 2015.

Advertisement