Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Don't mind yer fancy restaurants boys, off out to caherdavin for the the rag week special - naggin a vodka and a hot chicken roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Was in Marco Polo last night for a casual date with herself. Never again.

The soup was tasty, but it was served with a dessert spoon and 1 slice of brown bread that had one side dry, one moist (evidently was on the end of the loaf for a while).

The burger was fine, but was served with a measly enough serving of chips and no salad. As you can imagine it was a bare looking plate!

Very disappointing because Marco Polo wasn't a bad spot for a bargain meal.

Sounds dreadful

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Don't mind yer fancy restaurants boys, off out to caherdavin for the the rag week special - naggin a vodka and a hot chicken roll.

I'd take a crispy duck roll, no question.

Hint to business owners ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Students are so spoiled these days, gone are the days when all they could afford were pot noodles and cans of Carling. Followed by Chilli Con Carne in Doc's and a fight outside Fryer Tuck's later that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

New to this thread so not sure what the consensus is, but I was recently in La Cucina out in Castletroy. Food was unreal, if a bit on the expensive side. They've renovated the place recently, and it looks really good, although it still doesn’t solve the queueing crisis. We were lucky to get a table straight away when we went in but others were not so lucky and were waiting 10 mins or so. (Surely says a lot about how good the food is if people are willing to wait that long)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Came here to post the same thing was in there aswell today ^^^^ La Cucina yum feicing yum and its no dearer than any other place you'd go

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

What the prices like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

bigpink wrote: »
    What the prices like

You can find their menu in literally two seconds by doing a google search.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

You could have helped bigpink in the time it took you to write that post :rolleyes:

http://www.realitalianfoodies.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/LaCucina-TAKEOUT-Menu-WEB.pdf
    http://www.realitalianfoodies.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/LaCucina-SitIn-Menu-WEB.pdf

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

La Cucina really need to move to a bigger premises at this stage, I'm in there regularly enough but tend to take away as the seating situation is just too cramped for it to be comfortable if there is four of you, the renovation added only a few extra seats, the kitchen area looks very big, I think they would do well if the opened up in town, always enjoy the food though

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

They tried to expand into the vacant (previously vacant?) unit next door - and were given a commitment to that effect - but were ultimately let down by the owner, as far as I know.

Shame, as the seating situation puts me off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Finally tried Khing Thai on Saturday night to see if it lived up to the hype. I must say that i wasn't overly impressed with the food. Although in saying that, we did order a set menu (some valentine's special) so I will reserve final judgement until I've ordered a la carte.

Incredible value for money though: starters, main with choice of rice, desert & a bottle of wine for only €50!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SmokeyTheBull

All right I've been lurking this thread for months without posting and I appreciate all the new places I've gotten to try based of the recommendations here and now have a bit of time to chip in. So here's a few places I've been recently and what I thought, and I'll try to keep it it in chronological order.

Taikichi- Had a great tempura bento with a nice soup, friendly staff, next time I had one of the nicest beef curries I've ever had, fantastic rice as well, great value.

El Toro- decent ribs with a great sauce, had sweet potatoes fries and coleslaw with it and really liked it, think I'll go again once or twice (want to try their pulled pork as well) and see if my impression of slightly better than average + slightly expensive was correct, do have a bit of a feeling I might be rating them too high, its been a while like

Hook and Ladder (Corbally)- lovely pulled pork sandwich served with couscous and salad, bout 7-8 quid, they also do great chocolate brownies, some of time(I dunno whats up here, its like they have 2 different chefs making the brownies and you'll know straight away if you got the less nice one).

Aroi- Really like this place and keep meaning to go there more often, I've had the pineapple fried rice and crabmeat fried rice (which I had second thoughts on after ordering but turned out fine) and really liked both. Staff's great too and is good value.

Khing Thai- Thanks to everyone for putting this place on my radar. There's a real freshness and lightness to their food that I havent seen elsewhere. First time in and I had gorgeous (and relatively large) serving of spare ribs to start, and an unbelievable roast duck red curry that the staff had no issue boxing up for me as I was so full from the ribs. It's actually a little hotter than what I'd be comfortable with but its too nice to miss. I've also had a taste of their massaman curry which was nice but maybe didn't go great with their thinly sliced beef and their Honey, Tamarind & Ginger chicken stir fry which was tasty too and a good pick for someone not into their chili based stuff. Now I've also had the three flavour sauce dish which was alright but did nothing for me, and their sweet and sour chicken which while fresh and fruity also didnt grab me. Staff's real pleasant too.

Cornstore -Normally I've nothing but praise for this restaurant, every evening dinner and dessert I've had there has been great, so its unfortunate that the thai green curry I had for lunch during the week wasnt great, very watery sauce, way too many onions and just a plain bland breast of chicken in it, rice and poppadom that came with it was grand. The smoked haddock and mussel chowder I had to start was lovely and came with 2 slices of really nice brown bread.

Z-we-ton (Denmark St.) - Now usually I'd rank this place as one of the better Chinese takeaways in the city and so was pretty disappointed with the overall **** lunch I had during the week. Cheap ribs with a bit of sauce poured over them, and fatty duck that had weird crispy but unchewable parts too. Won't be back for lunch, will probably still grab a takeaway now and again, but typing this I actually do remember that the quality can plummet when they are really busy.

That's all I can remember now anyway. Now I'm wondering where do ye call when ye want a decent delivery, like pizza or something, bonus if they deliver late. I think my friends get apache which are grand but Im just curious if there's a place I'm missing out on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

That's all I can remember now anyway. Now I'm wondering where do ye call when ye want a decent delivery, like pizza or something, bonus if they deliver late. I think my friends get paache which are grand but Im just curious if there's a place I'm missing out on

House Pizza in Thomondgate are quite good. A large (16") pizza, garloc dip, portion of chips & 3 cans of soft drink for €10. You can't go wrong for that price. The pizza slices are huge, a nice selection of toppings, and it doesn't have the oily base that Apache's pizzas seem to suffer from. They do a good donor kebab too. Their burgers and dressed fries aren't as good, and nothing to write home about.

PetKing wrote: »
    House Pizza in Thomondgate are quite good. A large (16") pizza, garloc dip, portion of chips & 3 cans of soft drink for €10. You can't go wrong for that price. The pizza slices are huge, a nice selection of toppings, and it doesn't have the oily base that Apache's pizzas seem to suffer from. They do a good donor kebab too. Their burgers and dressed fries aren't as good, and nothing to write home about.

That place was served with a closure order over concerns about food safety. Food Safety Authority ordered it to be shut temporarily for two days.

They were also separately fined for serving a pizza containing plastic.

I'd avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Papa Gino's is pretty good.

Gonna give a shoutout to Ryan's Chipper in Raheen, everything in there is delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭fredo1664

I went to the Empty Glass (Pier Hotel) yesterday with a friend.
    For a wine bar, the wine selection is... quite poor. No more than 5 red wines, and they were out of the one we ordered.
    We had two individual plates, one cheese and one antipasti. They were huge, we couldn't finish: LINK to a (poor quality) picture.
    The place didn't feel too much like a wine bar, more like a hotel bar. They were playing 80's music when I was expecting some jazz.
    The value was quite good : 2x500ml of decent wine + 2 massive plates of cheese and ham for 50€.
    Overall, not really a wine bar experience, but a nice place with good value. It's probably a good place to go if you know nothing about wine but still want to tell your coworkers you went to "a wine bar".
    The staff is nice by the way, and we were pretty much the only customers there most of the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Had a nice breakfast in the Buttery this morning. Bit steep at €10 for tea and some french toast though.

Jesus that's robbery for the Buttery!

Yeah I've been to the Empty Glass a few times now. Always enjoyable, as you said it is not a stuffy wine bar more of a casual place but the food and decor are lovely, the staff are great and the prices good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

Seeing as there's no sticky in the Clare forum, I said I'd leave my thoughts on the Creamery Bar in Bunratty here :)

It was always one of my favourite places to eat and that hasn't changed after visiting last night. Service was quick, the staff were friendly and the bar itself is a lovely setting for a casual meal.

The food was tasty and great value for money. They've got the balance of pub and restaurant just right, would absolutely recommend it!

Personally I think it is overrated and overpriced. Had the Lasagne there recently and it was just OK. Nothing special. Dessert prices are a rip-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Was in Lana in Castletroy tonight. It was okay, but only okay. Nothing special. Don't think I'd bother going again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Was in Lana in Castletroy tonight. It was okay, but only okay. Nothing special. Don't think I'd bother going again.

I had lunch there during the week, had the lamb rendang (sp.), it was delicious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Clareman wrote: »

I had crispy chilli chicken. Maybe I should give something else a go then. I was torn between that and the Massaman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Clareman wrote: »
    I had crispy chilli chicken. Maybe I should give something else a go then. I was torn between that and the Massaman.

The Rendang is the stand out dish in their outlet in town, kaya(and presumably lana) are decent but I now refer Khing Thai.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Have been a few places this week. Curragower omg excellent. The Maldron surprisingly good. Collins not great I think they changed chef. Peony court again surprisingly nice. I am dying to try Vincenzo in the George have heard great reports

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

maryk123 wrote: »
    Have been a few places this week. Curragower omg excellent. The Maldron surprisingly good. Collins not great I think they changed chef. Peony court again surprisingly nice. I am dying to try Vincenzo in the George have heard great reports

What had you from the Curragower?
    I've been disapointed every time I've been there, bog-standard fare.
    Pity if Collins has gone downhill, I found it excellent whenever I was in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

maryk123 wrote:
    I am dying to try Vincenzo in the George have heard great reports

You won't be dissapointed. Great spot!food is amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SmokeyTheBull

Got lunch in Amber during the week, went with the wings to start and while ok, they werent anything special. Small, but plenty, though not a lot a sauce. Not as nice as Cornstores wings imo. Had the amber chicken as a main it was great, lightly battered. well cooked chicken in a sweet chilli sauce (but not like, the sweet chilli sauce that you'd see in a bottle).

A Khing Thai menu came in the door today after we got it yesterday lol and I've already talked about the duck (we ordered it around 6 yesterday and were told we their first order of the day, hope it was more to do with the match being on than anything else, would be real shame if its not doing well).

Advertisement