Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Had lunch in Cafe Crust a few days ago. Nice location and very friendly but the food was really average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Need to try amber but Khing Thai is my go to at the moment. Especially for take away. Portions are huge.

Tried Lana again recently and not impressed again. Food lacks flavour and the service sucks. There was two young lads serving and they were less than friendly, one was having his dinner behind the counter and we were waiting a while for their attention. Its a good idea but the cardboard boxes and overall attention to detail is poor. Ate in their Galway one recently as well and thought the same, food lacks flavour and as a street food place...its not great really. Its not even that well priced. Compare the calamari in Aroi for example, versus Lana and its not even in the same league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

maryk123 wrote: »
    Have been a few places this week. Curragower omg excellent. The Maldron surprisingly good. Collins not great I think they changed chef. Peony court again surprisingly nice. I am dying to try Vincenzo in the George have heard great reports

The last time I walked into the Curragower the barman puffed his chest out and gave me a dirty look as I approached the bar. I should have just walked out at that very moment because I knew I wasn't gonna get served :mad:

I tried Coqbull a few weeks ago. A bit pricey but the medium cooked burger was delicious. I really liked the music in there also. Cool indie and electronic stuff, no mainstream ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

What had you from the Curragower? I've been disapointed every time I've been there, bog-standard fare. Pity if Collins has gone downhill, I found it excellent whenever I was in.

Wings and scampi are two excellent choices in the Curragower.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

PetKing wrote: »
    Wings and scampi are two excellent choices in the Curragower.

The wings are excellent there tbf. My only complaints would be that there's mayo instead of blue cheese dip & theyre a bit on the pricey side

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

What are everyone's thoughts on Gusto d'Italia? I want to go for a nice waffle or crepe breakfast next weekend with my fella (I've been away for two weeks for a tonsillectomy so it's date and sweets time!). I like the look of the place but I'd love to hear your opinions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

Had dinner in Freddy's recently and it was absolutely gorgeous.
    It was my first time there, will definitely be going back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Sheeeeit wrote: »
    Had dinner in Freddy's recently and it was absolutely gorgeous.
    It was my first time there, will definitely be going back again.

Nicest place in town IMO.

Aragneer wrote: »
    What are everyone's thoughts on Gusto d'Italia? I want to go for a nice waffle or crepe breakfast next weekend with my fella (I've been away for two weeks for a tonsillectomy so it's date and sweets time!). I like the look of the place but I'd love to hear your opinions :D

I haven't been there yet but they do nice crepes & galettes in the Bon-Appétit Crêperie in the Milk Market. If you're nursing yourself back to health you might want to wait til the weather gets better tho!

Tim76 wrote: »
    I haven't been there yet but they do nice crepes & galettes in the Bon-Appétit Crêperie in the Milk Market. If you're nursing yourself back to health you might want to wait til the weather gets better tho!

Is that Creperie open air? That's why I wanted to see about Gusto as it's closed space. I am just desperately craving a waffle or a crepe hahaha, I will literally take anywhere, although Gusto is right next door to my new apartment haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The gelato, cakes and crepes there are amazing and they have good coffee also. They could do with improving the music that they play in there though. Terrible pop ****e. The music has actually put me off going there in recent weeks.

Is that Creperie open air? That's why I wanted to see about Gusto as it's closed space. I am just desperately craving a waffle or a crepe hahaha, I will literally take anywhere, although Gusto is right next door to my new apartment haha

Open air, but under the "big top" so you'll stay dry. There's random seating at ground floor with a dedicated seating at first floor level.

The gelato, cakes and crepes there are amazing and they have good coffee also. They could do with improving the music that they play in there though. Terrible pop ****e. The music has actually put me off going there in recent weeks.

I work in a retail shop that pride themselves on being trendy and young so we have terrible pop ****e playing constantly so I may be able to look past that if everything else is delicious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I was in Gusto dItalia the weekend. Had tiramisu omg it was fab. Kids had waffle and a crepe. They were fab. The chocolate ice cream was amazing kind of like nutty. The coffee is good too it was packed there.

maryk123 wrote: »
    I was in Gusto dItalia the weekend. Had tiramisu omg it was fab. Kids had waffle and a crepe. They were fab. The chocolate ice cream was amazing kind of like nutty. The coffee is good too it was packed there.

Sounds good! That chocolate ice cream now sounds like heaven...I'll be looking forward to my weekend now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I've an emergency situation, taking the elderly folks out for dinner tomorrow, they like their food OK but they wouldn't be too adventurous when it comes to choosing from the menu, thinking about the George or the Hamptons, not familiar with the George menu, any advice?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I've an emergency situation, taking the elderly folks out for dinner tomorrow, they like their food OK but they wouldn't be too adventurous when it comes to choosing from the menu, thinking about the George or the Hamptons, not familiar with the George menu, any advice?
    Thanks

The restaurant in the George is now an Italian so would this be OK. I haven't eaten there myself but others on here have said it's great. You can view the menu here if you want. http://www.georgelimerick.com/food-and-wine.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Thanks

The Strand used to do buffet lunch, if it still does then that might be an option.

You could try Finnegan's too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Was at Da Vincenzo in the George yesterday. Absolutely fantastic in every way. Seriously impressed, can't wait to go back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Red King wrote: »
    Was at Da Vincenzo in the George yesterday. Absolutely fantastic in every way. Seriously impressed, can't wait to go back.

My go to place in Limerick. They are extremely passionate about their food and their customer's happiness.

We have been there a dozen times and nothing but good food. Be sure to sign up for the loyalty card. Very generous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Lads looking for somewhere with the gf for the weekend. Healthy eating a must. Reasonably priced too. Any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

FutureGuy wrote: »
    My go to place in Limerick. They are extremely passionate about their food and their customer's happiness.

We have been there a dozen times and nothing but good food. Be sure to sign up for the loyalty card. Very generous.

I'm looking forward to giving this place a try, this isn't the first good report I've heard.
    Do ye think it would be a good place to bring kids for a weekend lunch, as in is it reasonably casual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I'm looking forward to giving this place a try, this isn't the first good report I've heard. Do ye think it would be a good place to bring kids for a weekend lunch, as in is it reasonably casual?

I was in there with my nieces and nephews, all under the age of 4, on a Sunday afternoon. They were running around like mad things and no one batted an eyelid. Lots of space there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Bored_lad wrote: »
    The restaurant in the George is now an Italian so would this be OK. I haven't eaten there myself but others on here have said it's great. You can view the menu here if you want. http://www.georgelimerick.com/food-and-wine.html

Went to The Hamptons in the end, very nice it was too, three mains, three deserts, two coffee, one tea, €55.00

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Got lunch from The Grove on Cecil Street the other day. Couldn't believe how busy it was and my chickpea curry was absolutely delicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Got lunch from The Grove on Cecil Street the other day. Couldn't believe how busy it was and my chickpea curry was absolutely delicious!

Probably the most underrated and unknown spot in Limerick imo. It's a pity it's only open at lunchtime. We could really do with a vegetarian restaurant that opens late and does dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Lads looking for somewhere with the gf for the weekend. Healthy eating a must. Reasonably priced too. Any ideas
    You could try Gasta? very much the emphasis on healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Need to find a new Indian in Limerick that does decent food. Order from Bindia last night, got one nice meal from them a few months back but the last two were poor. Vindaloo last night was very salty, as was the Rogan Josh herself ordered.

When the overriding taste is salt in a vindaloo then something is very wrong!

Use to go to Spice of India but to be honest the food there got progressively worse over time, gave me stomach troubles. Also not keen on eating Halal meat.

Perhaps its just the Irish taste to have liquid oily salty sauces?

For comparison I recently had a Madras in Chettinad in Central London. That's how Indian food should be cooked. Reminded me why I love it.

Am I stuck cooking it myself (or asking the wife to) :(

Is there an Indian, run and owned by Indians (not pakistanis) who can actually cook properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Need to find a new Indian in Limerick that does decent food. Order from Bindia last night, got one nice meal from them a few months back but the last two were poor. Vindaloo last night was very salty, as was the Rogan Josh herself ordered.

Use to go to Spice of India but to be honest the food there got progressively worse over time, gave me stomach troubles. Also not keen on eating Halal meat.

For comparison I recently had a Madras in Chettinad in Central London. That's how Indian food should be cooked. Reminded me why I love it.

Is there an Indian, run and owned by Indians (not pakistanis) who can actually cook properly?

The Mogul Emperor at the bottom of Henry Street is consistently good. Don't be put off by the fact the decor is firmly set sometime in the 80s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 mezzanine08

The Mogul is the only Indian restaurant I will order from in Limerick.

Advertisement