Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

source wrote:
    The Mogul Emperor at the bottom of Henry Street is consistently good. Don't be put off by the fact the decor is firmly set sometime in the 80s.

The Mogul is the only Indian restaurant I will order from in Limerick.

Thanks guys, yeah I suppose their lack of presence on just eat made me forget about them. Next Indian will be from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭aidanki

All the pubs are closed this Good Friday obviously.

Are there any restaurants open even or are they all closed as well, the law says you can sell alcohol if you are serving food with it apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

aidanki wrote: »
    All the pubs are closed this Good Friday obviously.

Are there any restaurants open even or are they all closed as well, the law says you can sell alcohol if you are serving food with it apparently

Russell's bar on Fr Russell road has a sign up saying it will be open for food Good Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

I ate at Coqbull on Thomas St last night. Myself and the OH got the combo platter to start. It was a full, large plate mixed with chicken wings and ribs and I couldn't get enough of the BBQ sauce :o a little bit pricey at €17 though.

We both got burgers for the main. I can't for the life of me remember which ones we got but both were served with a generous side of fries. I'd definitely recommend going in there hungry because their burgers make an enormous feast :eek::D

Overall I'd recommend it. The staff were friendly and it was a nice, relazed setting. Maybe a small bit on the pricey side for me, but certainly worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

I thought Coqbull would be a style over substance situation and wasn't expecting much but I've tried it a few times and really like it.

As a vegetarian who doesn't like the sound of their veggie burger I stick to the salads which have been really nice and the sweet potato fries are ridiculous, the best I've had anywhere. My friends have been really happy with the burgers and especially the half roast chicken which they raved about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Had lunch in the Unicorn, Dooradoyle today. Salmon/haddock with garlic potatoes, creamed herbs, veg & mashed potatoes. Delicious, nice and hot, and served by a very pleasant chef. A very nice experience. Must call back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Ate in The Buttery a couple of times in recent weeks after giving it a break after it opened initially, had brunch and lunch there - food was excellent, fine fry and French toast delicious. Wrap and sandwich for lunch were quality too. It may seem a liiiiittle pricey but it's worth the extra euro or two. Same goes for Hook & Ladder (huge portions there), both places are nice treats every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

leakyboots wrote: »
    Ate in The Buttery a couple of times in recent weeks after giving it a break after it opened initially, had brunch and lunch there - food was excellent, fine fry and French toast delicious. Wrap and sandwich for lunch were quality too. It may seem a liiiiittle pricey but it's worth the extra euro or two. Same goes for Hook & Ladder (huge portions there), both places are nice treats every now and then.

I like the buttery as well, had a really nice Philly cheese steak there the other day, the chips are excellent, wife had a really nice eggs benedict style thingy with salmon and the kids loved the French toast and pancakes, service was outstanding, the staff are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Oh yeah, never mentioned the service, really nice in there and checked on us mid-meal (which I like)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

leakyboots wrote: »
    Oh yeah, never mentioned the service, really nice in there and checked on us mid-meal (which I like)

Some places really go overboard on that (i.e. Hamptons) and it really puts me off going there. Can't stand the overbearing, faux friendliness and ****e jokes that staff in these places (i.e. Hamptons) indulge in. Did I mention that one of the worst for this is Hamptons? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

wife had a really nice eggs benedict style thingy with salmon

Eggs Royale. Do they do the standard Eggs Benedict down there? Great brunch dish if done right!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Tim76 wrote: »
    Eggs Royale. Do they do the standard Eggs Benedict down there? Great brunch dish if done right!

They do indeed, they also do a spinach one (Florentine, but I'm sure you know that;))
    The Hollandaise is decent enough to be fair and most of their breads are quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

zulutango wrote: »
    Some places really go overboard on that (i.e. Hamptons) and it really puts me off going there. Can't stand the overbearing, faux friendliness and ****e jokes that staff in these places (i.e. Hamptons) indulge in. Did I mention that one of the worst for this is Hamptons? :D

Are you on about Hamptons ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Are you on about Hamptons ?

I was trying to be subtle and only use veiled references to the restaurant in question (i.e. Hamptons).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭orm0nd

had lunch in Finnegan's last week

price & service was good , food was just about ok,

let's say I'd look elsewhere if I was in the area again

orm0nd wrote: »

I think Guinness & toasties are their forte.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

orm0nd wrote: »

Not too long ago there used to be a long queue on a Sunday to have a meal. But your right it wasn't the best the last time I ate there

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ABlur

I see we're getting a Lana street food restaurant in Courfields SC Raheen in the old Ye shang hai place.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭PIORUN

Not too long ago there used to be a long queue on a Sunday to have a meal. But your right it wasn't the best the last time I ate there
    since new owners took over it really went to the dogs a few years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Went to Bella Italia last night.. one of the single worst meals that I've ever had..
    Had lasagne for a main, served with garlic bread (obviously dunnes own brand, I have it enough At Home!)and a side salad (again obviously the supermarket garden bagged salad)
    While herself had a drastically under cooked pasta and mushroom dish..

Won't be heading back.. steer clear

• Advertisement

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Went to Bella Italia last night.. one of the single worst meals that I've ever had..
    Had lasagne for a main, served with garlic bread (obviously dunnes own brand, I have it enough At Home!)and a side salad (again obviously the supermarket garden bagged salad)
    While herself had a drastically under cooked pasta and mushroom dish..

Won't be heading back.. steer clear

It wasn't great the last time I was there neither. Would def make better at home for a fraction of the price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Tim76 wrote: »
    It wasn't great the last time I was there neither. Would def make better at home for a fraction of the price.

They have stopped opening in the evenings i was told

This might be midweek as i walked past one monday night 2 werks ago and all shut up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

bigpink wrote: »
    They have stopped opening in the evenings i was told

This might be midweek as i walked past one monday night 2 werks ago and all shut up

Not a good sign. Hope they turn things around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Was in Azur yesterday evening for a work night out. Was really impressed, good menu, food was excellent, and service was spot on. Locke next door too, to wash down the meal! Hard to fault it in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Finally went to Khing Thai on Thursday and it was really nice. Food is absolutely top notch and good value.

Went back this evening with the family but had to give it a miss as they did not have any high chairs. Hopefully they will get a few because I'd love to go there again.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Red King wrote: »
    Not a good sign. Hope they turn things around.

Bella Italia has been awful for years - it was just trading off location. My ex worked nearby and we went there a few times for lunch. i swore never to go there again (the food was never great) after seeing a waitress being made take the fall for an order that the kitchen cocked up. It was horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Was in Da Vincenzo at the weekend - just fantastic.

The quality and service and prices are just second to none in Limerick.

It was Saturday night and the place was packed out. I'd say the other Italian places in the city must be hit hard since this opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Red King wrote:
    The quality and service and prices are just second to none in Limerick.

I was there Friday lunchtime and it was jammers!Da Vicenzo was there himself, as always. You can tell he is so passionate about the food. It is without a doubt my favourite place to eat in Limerick now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Not a restaurant but Cafe Noir out in Castletroy is always fab when I go out for lunch. The salads and quiche are exceptional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Not a restaurant but Cafe Noir out in Castletroy is always fab when I go out for lunch. The salads and quiche are exceptional.

The Cafe Noir that was in town was pretty damn good but over priced.

Advertisement