Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

bigpink wrote: »
    Where was the Dolmen?

Above where the Polish supermarket Papu is now. Its the red brick building across from the entrance to Arthurs Quay park.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Parchment wrote: »
    Above where the Polish supermarket Papu is now. Its the red brick building across from the entrance to Arthurs Quay park.

When did it close?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

bigpink wrote: »
    When did it close?

Around the time The Hunt Museum opened I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Bored_lad wrote: »
    Around the time The Hunt Museum opened I think.

1997?? Long time ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Yeah its gone YEARS

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Jesus long gone so lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Parchment wrote: »
    The Dolmen was over Papu - the Polish Supermarket by Arthurs Quay Park. It closed YEARS ago!
    We used to see how much free water we could drink as kids. I suppose it was probably dangerous.

Same crowd that ran the Flag Cafe? Flag cafe was near Baal's bridge. First time I saw real boobs was in there. Lady who worked there never wore a bra and would pick me up regularly. I saw quite a lot. I also remember a bunch of kids robbing an apple at (butter)knife point.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

I also remember a bunch of kids robbing an apple at (butter)knife point.

Some days I long for those simpler times.

We used to see how much free water we could drink as kids. I suppose it was probably dangerous.

Same crowd that ran the Flag Cafe? Flag cafe was near Baal's bridge. First time I saw real boobs was in there. Lady who worked there never wore a bra and would pick me up regularly. I saw quite a lot. I also remember a bunch of kids robbing an apple at (butter)knife point.

WTF :D

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

Had Khing Thai tonight, have been there a good few times at this stage.

It is absolutely unreal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

zulutango wrote: »
    Anyone notice how the sweet potato fries in The Buttery are always fairly over-cooked (i.e. burned)?

Had them the other day, thought they were good. Chimichanga was a tasty bit of grub.
    Free coffee after too as they were celebrating a business anniversary.

Called into new Dealz... now that was a disappointment!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was in Lana in Raheen recently, I'd rate it higher than their Castletroy restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Waggaboo

phog wrote: »
    I was in Lana in Raheen recently, I'd rate it higher than their Castletroy restaurant.

They made a lovely job of the shop front as well in fairness. Looks great. The unit needed a lift like that to break away from the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Very nice aesthetically. Beef Pad King was not as good as Aroi's was when they first started, but I think Aroi are using different beef now so probably not much between them. A welcome addition to the area without a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

If anyone is looking for a pizza takeout, I would NOT recommend Pizza Max. One positive thing was that the chips were lovely, best chips I've had from a takeout in a long time!

BUT

They were very slow.
    They did not bring two drinks and I made the driver go back and get mine.
    The drinks were the wrong drinks. Neither of us got what we asked for.
    There was basically no sauce on the pizza or topping.. Very scarce.

Best pizza is Da Vincenzo and they deliver.

After that Papa Gino.

Of the franchise places I'd probably go with Apache or Domino's. The rest are crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Red King wrote:
    Best pizza is Da Vincenzo and they deliver.

Don't say this to me!if Da Vincenzo deliver my summer beach bod will definitely never happen.

panda100 wrote: »
    Don't say this to me!if Da Vincenzo deliver my summer beach bod will definitely never happen.

https://davincenzo.thedeliveryguys.ie/

Sorry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

Brew Brothers

Went here last night.

Really big menu with lots of choice.

Went for the blue cheese & bacon burger with home-made fries.

Burger was ok but served on a a far too small and very soggy bun.

A really small portion of fries in a little bowl that were really soggy and tasted like they had been microwaved and were definitely not just after being cooked.

They tiny burger bun with the small bowl of fries just looked really sad on the plate.

For €11.45 for a burger and fries you would expect better.

kfrp wrote: »
    Went here last night.

A really small portion of fries in a little bowl that were really soggy and tasted like they had been microwaved and were definitely not just after being cooked.

They tiny burger bun with the small bowl of fries just looked really sad on the plate.

Here? Where did you go?

• Advertisement

Red King wrote: »
    Here? Where did you go?

Check the title, added it into the main part now anyway.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Brew Brothers

Went here last night.

That sounds poor alright, however I've eaten there 4 or 5 times cause the kids love it and I've never been disapointed, I think their burgers are fantastic and the chips are great, I'd heartily recommend it to anyone.

That sounds poor alright, however I've eaten there 4 or 5 times cause the kids love it and I've never been disapointed, I think their burgers are fantastic and the chips are great, I'd heartily recommend it to anyone.

Maybe just a one off so but still won't be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Brew Brothers

Went here last night.

The burgers are a bit on the small side admittedly but they are pretty tasty. I think the chips, be they sweet potato or regular are some of the nicest you can get in Limerick. If I were you, I'd give it a second chance.

I tried gasta yesterday. I had a burrito and she had a Moroccan chicken wrap. I wasn't mad about the burrito but that was down to personal taste. I had a bite of herself's wrap and it was delicious. The sweet potato fries were not deep fried and were a bit soggy as a result but tasty out. Will definitely go back but won't be ordering the burrito again.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

Very nice aesthetically. Beef Pad King was not as good as Aroi's was when they first started, but I think Aroi are using different beef now so probably not much between them. A welcome addition to the area without a doubt.
    Not sure if its been already mentioned - but Aroi has (IMO) really gone downhill from ..to be fair a very high standard. Not sure who owns it now - but assume Eddie is not involved.

Got a mixed box (cod goujons & calamari) from the René Cusack hut in the Urban Garden outside Penny's at the weekend. Really, really tasty. Will be back for more!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

Tim76 wrote: »
    Got a mixed box (cod goujons & calamari) from the René Cusack hut in the Urban Garden outside Penny's at the weekend. Really, really tasty. Will be back for more!

what are the prices up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

gryff wrote: »
    Not sure if its been already mentioned - but Aroi has (IMO) really gone downhill from ..to be fair a very high standard. Not sure who owns it now - but assume Eddie is not involved.

Yeah, shame to see. I think the couple that opened it originally are no longer involved.

what are the prices up there?

€5. Pretty large serving as well and cooked to order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Tim76 wrote: »

the food is nice but pricy

Advertisement