Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

panda100 wrote: »
    Soup and sandwhiches out the back of nancys does not fit my definition of dining al fresco!

Unfortunately for you - that is what the definition of dining al fresco means.

Dont knock it - I think there soup and toastie is really nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Can you eat outside in azur? Anywhere nice outside the city for eating outside? Dirty nellys is the only spot I can think of

Ballina or Killaloe but it could be busy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

In fairness, Nancys is doing fine as it is. Was in there Saturday night and could hardly move it was so packed! Whatever about a place to dine al fresco, Limerick could badly do with a few alternative late bars to Nancys!

Whatever is opening in Cholesseys will hopfully rival it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Cornstore put tables outside in fine weather if you don't mind eating on Thomas St, I know diesel fumes don't go well with their tasty steak sambo

Cornstore put tables outside in fine weather if you don't mind eating on Thomas St, I know diesel fumes don't go well with their tasty steak sambo

Pity they didnt full pedestrianize thomas street

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

The Brimstone, which also has the potential to be a nice spot, also has this issue. I prefer my food with out a side order of petrol fumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The Brimstone, which also has the potential to be a nice spot, also has this issue. I prefer my food with out a side order of petrol fumes.

Milano's has that problem too. It's all the more annoying because that area could have been made really great but they botched it with the boardwalk and other works there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

bigpink wrote: »
    Whatever is opening in Cholesseys will hopfully rival it

Going off topic here, but House Limerick going in there. I've been informed by a few friends living in Dublin that the equivalent one up there is "fancy enough"! Regardless, it should provide an alternative to Nancys.

Going off topic here, but House Limerick going in there. I've been informed by a few friends living in Dublin that the equivalent one up there is "fancy enough"! Regardless, it should provide an alternative to Nancys.

I knows it House Dublin but not sure whats its gonna be called.
    There 2 bars in Dublin House and 37 Dawson street are great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I've been in House in Dublin a good few times. It wouldn't be my sort of place as it's full of D4 wannabee types whom are only interested in how much money you have or what job you do. Hopefully, the Limerick one might attract a different crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭TonyCliftonEsq

I've been in House in Dublin a good few times. It wouldn't be my sort of place as it's full of D4 wannabee types whom are only interested in how much money you have or what job you do. Hopefully, the Limerick one might attract a different crowd.

I say there is a good chance that it will attract the same crowd as in Dublin if it is in any way "upmarket".

crusha101 wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me what restaurant is going in to the building that Amber previously occupied next to the Locke

I heard two differing stories - Bunsen Burger or a Sushi/Thai place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I heard two differing stories - Bunsen Burger or a Sushi/Thai place.

It's not Bunsen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭dennyk

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Ballina or Killaloe but it could be busy

Definitely busy on nice weekends, but if you don't mind eating a bit earlier or later than the usual lunch or dinner rush, you can usually find a spot. Flanagan's has a lot of outdoor tables right on the river. Molly's has a big rooftop patio with very good views. Gooser's has a few outdoor tables and is right across the road from the river, but there is a lot of traffic on that road. On the Killaloe side, the restaurant in the new Killaloe Hotel that just opened this month has some outdoor seating with very nice views. They all have good food and good pints, really, though the hotel is a bit more upscale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

crusha101 wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me what restaurant is going in to the building that Amber previously occupied next to the Locke

A noodle and sushi restaurant called Kyoto.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭redrums

You could try Larkins bar in garrykennedy , just outside killaloe nice spot there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

We're sitting outside the Locke Bar this bank holiday Monday. Weather's still great. People are friendly.

But enough of the postcard report. We've been watching people working on the "Typical Restaurant Coming Soon", slowly, carefully placing small tiles on the front. Looks very nice.

But each time the restaurant changes hands, they must spend thousands refitting/redecorating it. Can they ever recover the costs of each changeover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

OK, a few posts back I had an eat-in pad king in Lana Raheen and was a little disappointed with the quality of the beef.
    I had a take away slow cooked beef massaman curry this time - really tasty, good serving size. Thumbs up!

Not sure if anything will beat the original quality Aroi "Pad Kar Prow" though. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I had Aroi last week and it was really poor, nothing like how it used to be. So disappointed, I was! Must give that Khing Thai place a shot as I believe one of the original Aroi people runs/is involved with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

I had Aroi last week and it was really poor, nothing like how it used to be. So disappointed, I was! Must give that Khing Thai place a shot as I believe one of the original Aroi people runs/is involved with it.

Disappointed to hear that hope it was a one off, was there about 4 weeks ago and was still lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Bistro in Caherconlish last week, lovely pancakes - owner full of chat. Nice coffee, mainly pizza place and anytime I've had Obe they have been good.

Cafe cotto in Hospital twice last week, coffee and cake and omelette another day both v nice and good portion size on omelette. girls there are very friendly and appreciate the custom, only downside is they close too early.

CRUMB in Bruff recently, food OK at best. coffee good but zero options when it came to desert option. Need to cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Had lana Thai in Raheen last week. Special fried rice, tasty but it was LACED in chillies. I could barely finish it was that spicy and was not advertised as such. I'll give it another chance but was a bit disappointed.

Sunday night we hit da Vincenzo. Calamari to start which was absolutely beautiful. I had a bolognese for my main which was ok and she had carbonara which was tasty but didn't have a single mushroom in it, contrary to the menu. I got a side of bread which was as stale as could be. A cocktail each for dessert then which were fantastic. Overall happy but some disapointments which needn't have happened.

Sunday night we hit da Vincenzo. Calamari to start which was absolutely beautiful. I had a bolognese for my main which was ok and she had carbonara which was tasty but didn't have a single mushroom in it, contrary to the menu. I got a side of bread which was as stale as could be. A cocktail each for dessert then which were fantastic. Overall happy but some disapointments which needn't have happened.

You should have said it to your waiter about the carbonara and the bread.

They pride themselves on their fresh ingredients so I would be shocked if they didn't give you a free dish or cocktails or something to rectify that.

With the recent good weather I found myself bemoaning the lack of cafe's and restaurants in Limerick that are near the river.

It is a damn shame. Basically you have the Locke & the Curragower for pub grub with the best views of the river (Locke ok not a great menu and the Curragower is heavily fish based but generally excellent), Milano (boring) and Cafe Crust (always closed), Jack Mondays (ok) and Azur (have never tried)

Given the amount of river frontage that is a pretty poor selection. Limerick really doesn't make the most of the river

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Had lana Thai in Raheen last week. Special fried rice, tasty but it was LACED in chillies. I could barely finish it was that spicy and was not advertised as such. I'll give it another chance but was a bit disappointed.

Sorry for being a pedant here but as mushrooms are not a traditional ingredient in carbonara (more of an Irish add on) I checked the menu online and there is no mention of mushrooms on either the lunch or dinner menu as part of the carbonara,

You should have said it to your waiter about the carbonara and the bread.

They pride themselves on their fresh ingredients so I would be shocked if they didn't give you a free dish or cocktails or something to rectify that.

I didn't say anything about the bread as I had asked for it as a side and they didn't charge for it. It wouldn't put me off going back mind you. Cocktails were great and they're not something I'd ever order. I'm a pints man!!

Sorry for being a pedant here but as mushrooms are not a traditional ingredient in carbonara (more of an Irish add on) I checked the menu online and there is no mention of mushrooms on either the lunch or dinner menu as part of the carbonara,

Fair enough. I didn't see it on the menu as I wasn't looking, it was herself whom said it afterwards. Don't get me wrong, she said it was very nice either way and there is a possibility that she misread it too.

Long story short da Vincenzo is good! A nice and better value alternative to la picola.

Fair enough. I didn't see it on the menu as I wasn't looking, it was herself whom said it afterwards. Don't get me wrong, she said it was very nice either way and there is a possibility that she misread it too.

Long story short da Vincenzo is good! A nice and better value alternative to la picola.

Yeah it is a great spot alright. I got the bread there before and wasn't too fond of it to be honest. The Irish Coffee I got at the end of the meal more than made up for it though, christ it nearly blew the head off me :D

Pizza and lasagne there are savage as are the meat platter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

haha I know what I'm gonna try next time I'm there so!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I wouldn't say that. La Piccola has never left me down and I've never had a bad meal or experience in there.

That being said shrooms aren't an ingredient of carbonara and neither is cream. The other important thing about carbonara is the pepper. I got a carbonara in DaVincenzos and it had no pepper. It was just dry pasta and bacon. Very disappointing tbh

Advertisement