Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

New Asian buffet place beside Chocolat

Can go up as many times as you want. Open kitchen so can watch the chefs cook which is nice.

Went here last night, all you can eat inc dessert for €10 and drinks for €1 (cans).

Tried most things :) Found the sweet and sour chicken my favourite, big crispy pieces of chicken. Sushi was nice too. Had profiteroles for dessert.

The good - All you can eat, plenty of choice as in Sushi, asian soups, rice, noodles, good chips (homeade, crispy) and the usual mix of asian dishes such as sweet n sour chicken, duck, beef in pepper, chicken curry etc. They also have some western choices like Pizza(Frozen) and chicken wings and stuff

The weird - Its located in the back of a spar shop so if your still hungry you can grab a sandwich on the way out :)

All in all its good, good choice of stuff to eat, I think the normal price is €15 for the buffet but is new so was €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

kfrp wrote: »
    New Asian buffet place beside Chocolat

Can go up as many times as you want. Open kitchen so can watch the chefs cook which is nice.

Went here last night, all you can eat inc dessert for €10 and drinks for €1 (cans).

Tried most things :) Found the sweet and sour chicken my favourite, big crispy pieces of chicken. Sushi was nice too. Had profiteroles for dessert.

The good - All you can eat, plenty of choice as in Sushi, asian soups, rice, noodles, good chips (homeade, crispy) and the usual mix of asian dishes such as sweet n sour chicken, duck, beef in pepper, chicken curry etc. They also have some western choices like Pizza(Frozen) and chicken wings and stuff

The weird - Its located in the back of a spar shop so if your still hungry you can grab a sandwich on the way out :)

All in all its good, good choice of stuff to eat, I think the normal price is €15 for the buffet but is new so was €10.
    It's not Spar but rather Costcutter. What's weird about that shop is they don't seem to have any air conditioning or at least it's always really warm in there. Puts me off buying anything to be honest. The fridge doesn't seem too cold either. Plus there is very limited stock.

Could they not make a bit more of an effort?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Heading to da vincenzo tonight for the first time. Good reviews so fingers crossed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

zulutango wrote: »
    I've had it in Dublin and it's pretty good alright.

Better than limerick independents?

pajoguy wrote: »
    Heading to da vincenzo tonight for the first time. Good reviews so fingers crossed.

Get the flipping fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Went into that buffet in Costcutter today. A bit of a wierd setup it being in the back of a shop. Food was fine though, basically some of the same stuff as the jasmine buffet but for a tenner and in a less glamorous setting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I gave Camile Thai a try this evening.

We had chicken satay skewers, red chicken curry and green chicken curry. The food was quite nice but the curries were both a lot hotter than any other Thai curries we've had before. We've ate in all other Thai restaurants in Limerick (along with many others outside Limerick) and these were by far the spiciest a little to much so for my tasting. They did taste quite nice though but would have liked a little more meat. The chicken satay was very nice though. The place was mobbed this evening so there were a few delays but you have to expect this in a brand new eatery. The staff were very nice and apologetic about the delays.

We will definitely give it another go in a few weeks when things have settled down but as of yet it hasn't quite lived up to expectations.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »
    We will definitely give it another go in a few weeks when things have settled down but as of yet it hasn't quite lived up to expectations.

Your expectation was bland curry? To be honest your post wants me to try it even more. Sounds great!

Your expectation was bland curry? To be honest your post wants me to try it even more. Sounds great!

Where did I say I wanted bland food. It was a bit too spicy for my liking. Milder curries are not necessarily bland.

I know curries should be spicy in particular green curries but this was too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Where did I say it was bland?

He's not saying you did.

• Advertisement

Treepole wrote: »
    He's not saying you did.

I know I've edited my post. Misread it first time.

Where did I say I wanted bland food. It was a bit too spicy for my liking. Milder curries are not necessarily bland.

I know curries should be spicy in particular green curries but this was too much.

It's your taste. Don't think that's a negative for the restaurant. I personally love chilli, the more the better. Perhaps it is more authentic?

Just to clarify, my expectation was the nicest Thai I'd ever have from some reviews I've heard here and others places about their restaurants in Dublin. In my opinion it was not. Not that other people's opinions seem to matter to you anyway.

Just to clarify, my expectation was the nicest Thai I'd ever have from some reviews I've heard here and others places about their restaurants in Dublin. In my opinion it was not. Not that other people's opinions seem to matter to you anyway.

Different chef... Not sure what your last comment is about...

Different chef...
    I'm sure this does come into the equation.
    Not sure what your last comment is about...
    I taught your post below was obnoxious to be honest

i think I gave the place a generally positive review. I said the food was nice. I also said it was the spiciest green and red curries we've ever had. A valid point I think.

I'm sure this does come into the equation.

I taught your post below was obnoxious to be honest

i think I gave the place a generally positive review. I said the food was nice. I also said it was the spiciest green and red curries we've ever had. A valid point I think.

Sorry didn't mean to be an arse. Just though you were being negative about the restaurant because the curry was hotter than your preference which I thought was a bit unfair. I might have been in a slightly combative mode as I have been battling leftists all day!

Sorry didn't mean to be an arse. Just though you were being negative about the restaurant because the curry was hotter than your preference which I thought was a bit unfair. I might have been in a slightly combative mode as I have been battling leftists all day!

Thanks Stefanovich. I never intended it to be a negative review just what I felt about the place. I quite liked it overall.

I was on call today for work and got a call ten seconds after kickoff of the football match so I'm a little tetchy myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I might have been in a slightly combative mode as I have been battling leftists all day!

It's like Guernica all over again.

zulutango wrote: »
    It's like Guernica all over again.

I've been bombing the poor defenceless leftists?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Just tried camile. It was nice but I wouldn't be raving about it right now. I'll give it a go in a few weeks again and see what it's like after it has settled in a bit.

Costa are opening in the unit beside Camile, work looks like it will be open in a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Anyone try The Clay Oven in Hartstonge street ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Went to the new buffet place..
    Grand, nothing to write home about..
    Poor Jasmine buffet tbh..

Can't get over the feeling you're in a shop.. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Azur has been given a fantastic review in this months Food and Wine magazine, haven't been in there in years, is it really good?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

bennyl10 wrote: »

Very strange set up.The shop has feck all stuff why even bother with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Azur has been given a fantastic review in this months Food and Wine magazine, haven't been in there in years, is it really good?

I was there about a year ago and it was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

RIO'S has opened near the Shamrock on the Ennis Road

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep in the old Xtra Vision store.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

phog wrote: »
    RIO'S has opened near the Shamrock on the Ennis Road

Got a whiting & chip there Sat. evening. Just ok, nothing special. Not as tasty as the equivalent offering from Luigi's in Parnell St. or Enzo's in William St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭TonyCliftonEsq

bennyl10 wrote: »

It's a kip. The shop is a disaster, there's feck all groceries there. A total waste of a prime retail unit.

As for the buffet?

The chicken curry is nice, the rest is mostly bland cheap crap. Pizza is awful, desserts are a mouthful portion. I felt embarrassed in there with the amount of times I would have to grab a plate in order to get a decent portion.

I wouldn't set foot in there again. I've said it before, the chain of restaurants run by the Jasmin group are mostly awful.

• Advertisement

It's a kip. The shop is a disaster, there's feck all groceries there. A total waste of a prime retail unit.

As for the buffet?

The chicken curry is nice, the rest is mostly bland cheap crap. Pizza is awful, desserts are a mouthful portion. I felt embarrassed in there with the amount of times I would have to grab a plate in order to get a decent portion.

I wouldn't set foot in there again. I've said it before, the chain of restaurants run by the Jasmin group are mostly awful.

Yeah, it's a bit of a dump. Really warm in their too. I walked in there and immediately did a 180. Not buying anything in a warm shop. The fridge didn't even seem like it was on. Doubt the shelf life of the food is too good.

Advertisement