Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Where do you stand on irish bars? Or Indian restaurants?

Its not authentic unless you get Delhi belly and have to ****e into a hole in the ground while countless bees play cricket on your eyebrows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Garry123

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

So there shouldn't be any form of foreign restaurants because they are unrepresentative of their nations cuisine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Mc Love wrote: »
    So there shouldn't be any form of foreign restaurants because they are unrepresentative of their nations cuisine?

Sounds like that. Any "fusion" restaurants would be completely verboten of course.

I'm just happy to have decent grub at the right price with acceptable service.

Why not?

• Advertisement

O do the hokey-cokey!
    say something,
    then pretend you didn't say "exactly that",
    then feign complete confusion when a poster replies to your denials
    O do the hokey-cokey!

O do the hokey-cokey!
    say something,
    O do the hokey-cokey!

You put your left leg in, your left leg out, in, out, in out, you shake it all about. :cool::pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What about Italian chippers? :pac:

An File wrote: »
    What about Italian chippers? :pac:

Sorry An File, fish and chips aren't representative of Italian cuisine because you can't get battered Saltim Bocca, Ossobuco etc.

O do the hokey-cokey!
    say something,
    O do the hokey-cokey!

OK, I'll play 'til you bore me. Where did I say that there shouldn't be any form of foreign restaurants?

• Advertisement

Sorry An File, fish and chips aren't representative of Italian cuisine because you can't get battered Saltim Bocca, Ossobuco etc.

You guys are just the wittiest ever!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Whats the Hamptons like?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

bigpink wrote: »
    Whats the Hamptons like?

Not great consistency wise. Can be OK some nights awful the next there are far better restaurants in town.

Bored_lad wrote: »
    Not great consistency wise. Can be OK some nights awful the next there are far better restaurants in town.
    Is it like a chocolat vibe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Whats the Hamptons like?

I've always found it to be fairly good. Reasonably priced, nice menu, good service. Maybe I've just been fortunate to be there on the good nights, or maybe I'm just easily pleased :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I'm very disappointed with Hamptons the last few times I've been. I used to really like it, but the service has become too overbearing and almost American in its phoniness, the food quality has plummeted and it's second tier now in my book. After a few consistently poor experiences I don't go anymore.

zulutango wrote: »
    I'm very disappointed with Hamptons the last few times I've been. I used to really like it, but the service has become too overbearing and almost American in its phoniness, the food quality has plummeted and it's second tier now in my book. After a few consistently poor experiences I don't go anymore.

That really fake service is creeping in here a bit alright

Garry123 wrote: »
    OK, I'll play 'til you bore me. Where did I say that there shouldn't be any form of foreign restaurants?

Couldn't not shouldn't.

They're either everywhere (of varying quality and authenticity), or nowhere. Depending on whether you agree to the usual understanding of the term Chinese restaurant, Italian restaurant etc... or some oddball definition which leads to a situation where are are none in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭adaminho

Whats the Hamptons like?

It not a real representation of food from the Hamptons, There's no lobster rolls etc :D

Couldn't not shouldn't.

They're either everywhere (of varying quality and authenticity), or nowhere. Depending on whether you agree to the usual understanding of the term Chinese restaurant, Italian restaurant etc... or some oddball definition which leads to a situation where are are none in Ireland.

Check out post #1865.

Where did I say couldn't?

I dare to have a different opinion to you and others and yer reaction confirms my suspicions. Getting bored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Garry123 wrote: »
    Check out post #1865.

Where did I say couldn't?

I dare to have a different opinion to you and others and yer reaction confirms my suspicions. Getting bored.

Listen mate, you brought this on yourself with your first post on the thread. You've been to Italy as have most of us, Italian food on Ireland is generally rubbish, that's true, but thete has been a big improvement in recent years from a few places, not so much in Limerick but even at that Vicenzos isn't bad, not nearly as good as some have suggested though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod note *** don't attack posters please. Everyone has their opinion no need to jump all over it if you don't like it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod note **** no more warnings. I've deleted the posts. Bans next time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Two of us went to Lana Castletroy last night, we ordered Massaman and Panang Curries, when the waitress arrived with our dishes one of them (my wife's) was incorrect. There was a pregnant pause as if the waitress delayed to see would my wife accept the incorrect dish, she didn't, so the waitress took the incorrect dish back but left the rice on the table along with my order.

I decided to time the delay and that I'd request fresh rice if the delay was more than a few minutes.

The correct dish arrived 5 mins later, so I requested warm rice. The waitress took the carton (I had torn the top of it to mark the corton) and returned a minute or so later. My wife tried the rice and said it was cold. I went to the counter and said the rice was cold, the waitress said she had brought down fresh rice, when I mentioned the same carton she then told me she dumped the cold rice out of the carton and put the fresh rice back into the same carton. I have no way of knowing if she did or didn't but the rice was cold. Tbh, I don't believe her.

I told her I was very unhappy with our meals, she offered to get fresh rice again, I said what's the point if the new rice was going to be cold as well and the curry would be cold by then anyway.

My wife didn't touch her rice but ate the curry, I ate about half of my dish as mine went cold with all the messing.

Another waitress approched us and asked about our food, we told her the story, we recived an apology but not much satisfaction.

When I went to pay, the 2nd waitress was at the til, her explanation on the confusion over the courses was that we order by numbers from the menu rather than naming the dish, this was incorrect, my wife ordered by name and I confirmed by numbers (20 &21) - but either way, you'd expect the staff to know their menu.

Aside fromt he mix up, both curries were watery, our last time there they were much creamier.

Resturants like Lana is a cheap meal but it shouldn't be as unpleasant as I experienced last night.

Generally, I give resturants a 2nd chance to get things right but unless I read raving reviews of the place I won't be returning.

phog wrote: »
    Two of us went to Lana Castletroy last night, we ordered Massaman and Panang Curries, when the waitress arrived with our dishes one of them (my wife's) was incorrect. There was a pregnant pause as if the waitress delayed to see would my wife accept the incorrect dish, she didn't, so the waitress took the incorrect dish back but left the rice on the table along with my order.

I decided to time the delay and that I'd request fresh rice if the delay was more than a few minutes.

The correct dish arrived 5 mins later, so I requested warm rice. The waitress took the carton (I had torn the top of it to mark the corton) and returned a minute or so later. My wife tried the rice and said it was cold. I went to the counter and said the rice was cold, the waitress said she had brought down fresh rice, when I mentioned the same carton she then told me she dumped the cold rice out of the carton and put the fresh rice back into the same carton. I have no way of knowing if she did or didn't but the rice was cold. Tbh, I don't believe her.

I told her I was very unhappy with our meals, she offered to get fresh rice again, I said what's the point if the new rice was going to be cold as well and the curry would be cold by then anyway.

My wife didn't touch her rice but ate the curry, I ate about half of my dish as mine went cold with all the messing.

Another waitress approched us and asked about our food, we told her the story, we recived an apology but not much satisfaction.

When I went to pay, the 2nd waitress was at the til, her explanation on the confusion over the courses was that we order by numbers from the menu rather than naming the dish, this was incorrect, my wife ordered by name and I confirmed by numbers (20 &21) - but either way, you'd expect the staff to know their menu.

Aside fromt he mix up, both curries were watery, our last time there they were much creamier.

Resturants like Lana is a cheap meal but it shouldn't be as unpleasant as I experienced last night.

Generally, I give resturants a 2nd chance to get things right but unless I read raving reviews of the place I won't be returning.

The quality of the dish I had in the one in Raheen, means I probably wont be returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

what a review!! I've never been there but have heard good things. Must give it a go.

Was in Spice of India the other night, and the food was pretty good but pricier than the Mogul Emperor (which I would rate highly), the atmosphere was dull as dishwater.

zulutango wrote: »
    what a review!! I've never been there but have heard good things. Must give it a go.

Was in Spice of India the other night, and the food was pretty good but pricier than the Mogul Emperor (which I would rate highly), the atmosphere was dull as dishwater.

We switched our take awys from the Mogul Emperor to the Spice of India, thought the ME were using onions/potatoes as filling and reduced the quantity of meat in their dishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Have had similar issues with Lana in castle troy. Some of the staff there are just brutal. They need a good lesson in how to deal with customers at the very least

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I have had lama a few times and it's been tasty but there has always been an issue. Forgotten items, wrong order, no bowls or cutlery.

Camile really show them up.

Has anybody tried mr. Noodle in town?

• Advertisement

I have had lama a few times and it's been tasty but there has always been an issue. Forgotten items, wrong order, no bowls or cutlery.

Camile really show them up.

Has anybody tried mr. Noodle in town?

We thought of trying Camile but reckoned that it might be closed as it was after 8 but my wife Googled it later and it would have been open :(

Advertisement