Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

I thought it was just me but Lana messed up my order too the one time I tried it (completely wrong dish) as the waiter didn't bother to write it down, he was just going from memory. Not very friendly service at all either. Didn't think it was that tasty and didn't ever want to go back since there are so many better Thai places around.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

had only bad experiences in Lana. most of the time I'm ordering food for pickup, something like 1hr in advance and still had to wait up to 25 minutes for it to be ready

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

We get a take away most Saturdays there and never have had a problem. Some of the staff are really not suited to the service industry though.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Lana was great when it first opened, but it has gone down hill big time in the last few months. Camille has much nicer food, although the whole ordering setup in there is a bit odd - could it hurt that much to have a waiter/waitress to take your order?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Went to Sage the other day for lunch, talk about a place that has masssively gone down hill in my opinion. First thing was one of the waiting staff did not look the cleanest and every time they walked past they table there was a distinct odour of sweat off them. That should have been our cue to leave.

We all ordered an open sandwich, 2 with ham and cheese and one with salmon, prawns and "vine" tomatoes. What arrived was an insult to a sandwich. It was basically a lump of one slice of thickly cut crumbly brown bread on top of which was thrown a few slices of tasteless ham and huge pile of grated orange cheddar. The bread wasn't buttered and we had to ask for some. My friend's salmon was as dry as a bone and missing the prawns, one of the staff tried to convince her the prawns were under the salmon! They eventually brought her out the smallest ramekin with about 10 tiny defrosted prawns in it! The "vine" tomatoes were thick slices of watery unripe large tomatoes. It was the worst lunch I've had in ages in town. We would have complained only one of my lunchmates Dad had been in also and paid for our lunch. Won't be going back.

Also one of the their big claims is they provide gluten free bread, not that day in fact server said they don't do gluten free bread ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Went to Sage the other day for lunch, talk about a place that has masssively gone down hill in my opinion. First thing was one of the waiting staff did not look the cleanest and every time they walked past they table there was a distinct odour of sweat off them. That should have been our cue to leave.

We all ordered an open sandwich, 2 with ham and cheese and one with salmon, prawns and "vine" tomatoes. What arrived was an insult to a sandwich. It was basically a lump of one slice of thickly cut crumbly brown bread on top of which was thrown a few slices of tasteless ham and huge pile of grated orange cheddar. The bread wasn't buttered and we had to ask for some. My friend's salmon was as dry as a bone and missing the prawns, one of the staff tried to convince her the prawns were under the salmon! They eventually brought her out the smallest ramekin with about 10 tiny defrosted prawns in it! The "vine" tomatoes were thick slices of watery unripe large tomatoes. It was the worst lunch I've had in ages in town. We would have complained only one of my lunchmates Dad had been in also and paid for our lunch. Won't be going back.

Also one of the their big claims is they provide gluten free bread, not that day in fact server said they don't do gluten free bread ��

That place must be one of the most overrated places in all of Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Went to Azur tonight, excellent food and staff. There were 7 of us in our group and we were well treated, no rush and no issues with any of our orders, served as expected.

Highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Agree with all the other posters about Lana. I think it's really gone downhill. I gave up on it a few weeks ago and I won't be going back anymore. Sick of cold lumpy rice and the fact that pretty much every single sauce tastes and looks the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Tried Mr Noodle the other night not to bad had the chilli and the teriyaki chickens tasty and good size portions. Will defo go back.

Had lunch in canteen for the first time in ages 10 for coffee and a box lunch. Portions bit small but fresh and filling coffee is excellent. Again will go back.

And thumbs-up yet again for papaz had dinner in there last night it was quiet but food top notch. There southern fried chicken sandwich has to be one of my favourite food in town.

Also got to the new bean an ti today for coffee and cookie top marks and great people watching

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Does anybody think la cucina is rather over priced for what you get in particular the sandwiches. €6 odd for a half a ciabatta roll with no side salad or anything else. Very tasty but a tad much? Or is that just me being scabby?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 itxsse

We would like to thank all of our customers for your feedback of Lana Asian Street Food. Firstly as a company and a brand we would like to formally apologize for some of the experiences our customers have had with us recently.

At Lana we strive to achieve high standards in our restaurants covering all aspect such as food, front of house and overall experience. However we do understand that in some of these areas recently we have fallen short. Over the next coming week we will be holding a company meeting to outline the issues which have been brought to our attention.

As a company we welcome all feedback because without this we will never be able to improve our services, once the issues have been notified to all branches involved, we will then carry out training days for all staff. This will be to improve our standards and customer experience. Our area managers will now be working more closely with restaurant managers to ensure that these problems and issues do not arise again.

Once again we are very sorry for the recent experiences but we can assure you that as a company we will do all we can to improve.

Finally we would like to take this opportunity to thank all of our customer for their valued and much appreciated business, we do hope you return to us in the near future to sample the wonderful delights in which Asian street food has to offer.

Yours Sincerely

LANA ASIAN STREET FOOD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

itxsse wrote: »
    We would like to thank all of our customers for your feedback of Lana Asian Street Food. Firstly as a company and a brand we would like to formally apologize for some of the experiences our customers have had with us recently.

At Lana we strive to achieve high standards in our restaurants covering all aspect such as food, front of house and overall experience. However we do understand that in some of these areas recently we have fallen short. Over the next coming week we will be holding a company meeting to outline the issues which have been brought to our attention.

As a company we welcome all feedback because without this we will never be able to improve our services, once the issues have been notified to all branches involved, we will then carry out training days for all staff. This will be to improve our standards and customer experience. Our area managers will now be working more closely with restaurant managers to ensure that these problems and issues do not arise again.

Once again we are very sorry for the recent experiences but we can assure you that as a company we will do all we can to improve.

Finally we would like to take this opportunity to thank all of our customer for their valued and much appreciated business, we do hope you return to us in the near future to sample the wonderful delights in which Asian street food has to offer.

Yours Sincerely

LANA ASIAN STREET FOOD

Fair play for acknowledging that there are some issues. I hope you get it sorted.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Fair play for coming on here and acknowledging the complaints, a lot of other companies would have not bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

sioda wrote: »

And thumbs-up yet again for papaz had dinner in there last night it was quiet but food top notch. There southern fried chicken sandwich has to be one of my favourite food in town.

Had that for lunch today. Om nom nom :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Glad to see two previous posters praise Azur and Canteen. There can be a fair bit of criticism dished-out (pardon the pun!) on here, but I feel these two establishments rarely get the praise they deserve. I've been to Azur a few times recently and always found it really good - nice varied menu, good service, quality food, and handy location (Locke next door for a few pints to wash down the meal). Canteen is really good for breakfast/lunch, with fresh locally-sourced food and excellent coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Glad to see two previous posters praise Azur and Canteen. There can be a fair bit of criticism dished-out (pardon the pun!) on here, but I feel these two establishments rarely get the praise they deserve. I've been to Azur a few times recently and always found it really good - nice varied menu, good service, quality food, and handy location (Locke next door for a few pints to wash down the meal). Canteen is really good for breakfast/lunch, with fresh locally-sourced food and excellent coffee.

Canteen is certainly not under praised. If anything it gets a lot more praise than it deserves. It's been underwhelming any time I've eaten there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Canteen food is pretty good, if a little pricey.

The queueing system is terrible and there's not enough seats, and quite often one has to wait ages to get their food, but these are the problems of a popular food outlet operating out of a tiny space. I'd imagine these will be rectified when they move.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭cailleach an airgid

I always find Canteen food a bit bland. I love the coffee and the staff are amazing - I also love the ethos of the place (fresh food and local ingredients). I'm probably going to be pilloried but i just always find the food a bit tasteless. I hate saying this about a local business and realise I'm in the minority but I find it overrated. Coffee and baked goods there are amazing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Canteen are moving to a larger space soon which will solve the overcrowding you often experience in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Garry123

Bored_lad wrote: »
    Canteen are moving to a larger space soon which will solve the overcrowding you often experience in there.

But will it continue to be authentic? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

Went into Aroi on O'Connell St today for lunch, has been taken over in the last couple of weeks by the people that were involved in Fine Things in Arthurs Quay among others. I agree it had gone downwards in the last year or so but I enjoyed every scrap of it today. The place was very busy, portions are good and as I said, the food was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Bored_lad wrote:

Where are they moving to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

Where are they moving to?

I think it's the old Falcon travel place on Catherine Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Once one of Limerick's most beautiful streets. Maybe it can be again with the likes of Canteen bringing new life to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Has Khing Thai changed hands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Mr. Noodle is savage

Must try Mr Noodle
    Got Khing Thai today all the thai seem to be gone seems to be Indian people working there now.Very rude guy on the takeaway counter.Food nice but portion hugely reduced

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

bigpink wrote: »
    Must try Mr Noodle
    Got Khing Thai today all the thai seem to be gone seems to be Indian people working there now.Very rude guy on the takeaway counter.Food nice but portion hugely reduced

Khing thai hasnt changed ownership. Owen the owner is probably out in his Ennis restaurant while its very busy with the Fleadh.

I know the guy you are talking about and he works there and probably isnt the best person to have as front of house.

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Khing thai hasnt changed ownership. Owen the owner is probably out in his Ennis restaurant while its very busy with the Fleadh.

I know the guy you are talking about and he works there and probably isnt the best person to have as front of house.

Well he better sort it out fast i thought it was like a new people running it

Advertisement