Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

+1 fpr coqbull, good burgers, good service, good beer...what's not to like!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It's grand for lunch but wouldnt be my preferred place to have dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Had lunch in House today. Pan fried hake with mash. Decent grub, but there wasn't a whole lot in it and cost about 14 quid. Will seldom go there I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

Exeggcute wrote: »
    Greasy pizza's? Bad service?

I am really very, very, surprised to hear that about DaVincenzo

The reviews across the board are excellent. I have been there many times and it has been top notch, same for friends and family.

The one thing both my partner and I tend to find tedious about DaVincenzo; and it may be that it's house policy, but, they tend to be on the irritating side of attentive. I counted one of the nights we there, and over the course of a main and a desert we were asked if everything was alright was eight times. Ironically enough we ended up waiting 15 minutes for somebody to stop so we could ask for the bill, ended up just going to the till.

I'll admit that I do find the Maitre d' a bit OTT aswell. So maybe I'm just a grump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Whilst on the topic of coqbull, just to let ye know that they are offering free burgers from 5pm to closing next Tuesday as part of the 1 year anniversary of its opening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

I see The Great National, formerly The South Court hotel are reopening their bar, Boru's tomorrow night after extensive renovation, renamed off-the-bone, the place had gone downhill so much in recent years, compared to when it opened first and the buzz around the place on a Friday and Saturday evenings when there would be live music.

Menu looks good, bar the typo in the early bird section.

Im working the weekend so will have this to look forward to Monday evening i think, 600g prime rib for one please. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

oleras wrote: »
    I see The Great National, formerly The South Court hotel are reopening their bar, Boru's tomorrow night after extensive renovation, renamed off-the-bone, the place had gone downhill so much in recent years, compared to when it opened first and the buzz around the place on a Friday and Saturday evenings when there would be live music.

Menu looks good, bar the typo in the early bird section.

Im working the weekend so will have this to look forward to Monday evening i think, 600g prime rib for one please. :D

Hope it takes off and they keep the scumbags out.Also good staff not people with zero english

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mebeme

Have been in Kyoto with my other half 3 times in the last couple of months, lovely spot, nice & quiet, delicious sushi, very nice dumplings too, nice change from other restaurants (there aren't many Japanese places in limerick!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Mebeme wrote: »
    Have been in Kyoto with my other half 3 times in the last couple of months, lovely spot, nice & quiet, delicious sushi, very nice dumplings too, nice change from other restaurants (there aren't many Japanese places in limerick!) :D

+1 for Kyoto. Really like the food there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

paulers06 wrote: »
    +1 for Kyoto. Really like the food there.

Where abouts are they located? I'd only heard about Taikichi for Japanese cuisine in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Next door to the Locke Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

An File wrote: »
    Where abouts are they located? I'd only heard about Taikichi for Japanese cuisine in town.

Love Taikichi. Anyone know how Kyoto compares?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Tim76 wrote: »
    Love Taikichi. Anyone know how Kyoto compares?

Love Taikichi too. I wouldn't say either is better than the other food wise but you don't get the blast of cold air every time the door opens in Kyoto.

Went to House for lunch, had the fish and chips and it was amazing. Two good size chunks of cod, and a nice portion of chunky chips, with fresh tartar and pureed pea's. I'll definitely be back to try the rest of the menu.

How much are the charging for the fish n chips/lunch mains? Haven't been in there yet but I heard the price of a pint is expensive in there, over a 5er for a pint I heard.

5 for a Guinness but it really was a nice pint of Guinness. It's 14 for fish and chips but worth it when you get a great one.

It's a late bar too so I'm not sure if you can justify paying those prices all night when you can in and get one cheaper next door in the boardwalk or squires

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Mc Love wrote: »
    5 for a Guinness but it really was a nice pint of Guinness. It's 14 for fish and chips but worth it when you get a great one.

In before the slating from by the "Coqbull=overpriced burgervan", "Nandos=overpriced chicken hut" crew...

Any oul mushy peas with the fish and chips? As you say, you can't beat a good one.

In before the slating from by the "Coqbull=overpriced burgervan", "Nandos=overpriced chicken hut" crew...

Any oul mushy peas with the fish and chips? As you say, you can't beat a good one.

I was expecting them sooner! You would be willing to pay for a good one, and the service was top notch in there and not too overbearing.

Mc Love wrote: »

It's a late bar too so I'm not sure if you can justify paying those prices all night when you can in and get one cheaper next door in the boardwalk or squires

14 is fine to be honest especially if it's good grub and enjoyable. Wouldn't be spending it every day mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

The drinks menu in House also states at the back that prices go up after 11. I haven't been there at night, but ~€5.30 for a Heineken during the day, a price increase at night would be madness.

• Advertisement

The drinks menu in House also states at the back that prices go up after 11. I haven't been there at night, but ~€5.30 for a Heineken during the day, a price increase at night would be madness.

Do they state the price increases?thought a drink had to stay same price open to close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

bigpink wrote: »
    Do they state the price increases?thought a drink had to stay same price open to close

Nope. Just small print at the back of the menu saying that the prices shown only apply up until 11 or something like that.

€5.30 for a Heineken is a bit Irish. House Limerick at House Dublin drink prices. Cannot see that being sustainable long term once the novelty factor wears off and the new crowd move on. Limerick ain't Temple Bar.

Wonder will they leave in Munster jerseys tonight

Nope. Just small print at the back of the menu saying that the prices shown only apply up until 11 or something like that.

By law they have to display pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 34 kneesox

I'm not a fan of DaVincenzos either. Only there the once, but the pizzas were very greasy. Couldn't understand the positive press it was getting.

Went to La Cuchina in town yesterday and was very impressed with the food and service.

I thought DaVincenzos pizza was disgusting! :( reeeally greasy and bland, yuck. The other night we ordered steaks and they serve them with lasagne! all way too heavy and greasy. You just don't feel good after this sort of food.
    Best pizza in Picolla so far, but restaurant itself isn't great or exciting much.
    Loved new House recently, really nice interior and food so far, comfy seats. Finally bit of class in Limerick ;) hopefully it won't be ruined by bad manager or wrong clientele.
    One word about Copperoom- such a pity this beautiful place is ruined by bad staff (no knowledge about wine ), rude and by bad music that doesn't fit interior at all. Shouting couguar ladies don't help it. :cool:

Yeah the Copper could be great
    Music is a letdown alright.deep house djs or banging chart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Ate in Sage cafe today - food was grand but as usual the service was awful. Patchy - food before cutlery etc. Saw people being ignored for ages.

The staff were more interested chatting to each other than serving people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Ate in Sage cafe today - food was grand but as usual the service was awful. Patchy - food before cutlery etc. Saw people being ignored for ages.

The staff were more interested chatting to each other than serving people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Ate in Kyoto yesterday for the 1st time.
    Really really enjoyed it. It was very quiet as we were in between the lunch and dinner services.
    The sushi was excellent, really good on a par with the best I've had in Limerick (Taikichi).
    Got speaking to the owner and it transpires he knows the owners of my favourite Sushi spot in Dublin (J2) and he then went and had the chef knock up one of my favourite recipes of theirs!

Must say I'm looking forward to my next trip in there already.

Advertisement