Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Pretty good review from the McKennas on the new LaCucina http://www.guides.ie/node/3477

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Mc Love wrote: »
    Pretty good review from the McKennas on the new LaCucina http://www.guides.ie/node/3477

Fair play to them. I haven't been yet but I hope it does well and that it might encourage other businesses to open in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Was in La Cucina Centro on Friday before the Munster - Maori match, we arrived there I say 5.15 pm and we had to wait a few minutes for a table which was fine.

Service I must say was excellent, very quick to take drink orders initially. Staff were very friendly and you can have good craic with them too.

With regards to the food, I really enjoyed it. I got the lasagna, my friend got the carbonara and the other got a pizza. They were all delicious. The portions were small enough I thought but the quality of the food made up for this.

Throughout the whole meal, a crowd waiting to be seated grew at the entrance to the restaurant. Saying that, the staff didn't try to rush you when finishing the meal, we had dessert and coffee and chatted away for a while and that didn't seem to bother the staff.

The interior is great too, very cool and modern.

All in all, an 8.5/10. Due to portion size and the fact that you are always likely to be waiting for a seat due to the limited seating in the restaurant.

Will be back again! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

What is Glen tavern like food wise and price wise? May be going there tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Aragneer wrote:
    What is Glen tavern like food wise and price wise? May be going there tonight.

It's alright. Best described as pub grub. Definitely nothing special about it. Probably a euro or two over priced for what you're getting too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I'd agree with zulutango, standard pub grub fare. Strangely, it's rated fairly highly (no. 8 actually) on Tripadvisor. For some reason, the contributors to Tripadvisor Limerick have a weird affinity to gastropubs/pub grub. Bobby Byrnes was no.1 for a long time, until recently displaced by Da Vincenzo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I'd agree with zulutango, standard pub grub fare. Strangely, it's rated fairly highly (no. 8 actually) on Tripadvisor. For some reason, the contributors to Tripadvisor Limerick have a weird affinity to gastropubs/pub grub. Bobby Byrnes was no.1 for a long time, until recently displaced by Da Vincenzo

The staff in Bobbys will ask you at least 3 times to rate them on trip advisor when you eat there. That's why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Has anyone eaten in the new place Tkee on O Connell St? Is it part of the Centra or what? I've seen a few pics on facebook and the food looks delicious and reasonable too but I don't trust facebook hype :o

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

1826, one of the best restaurants in Ireland is Number 6 in Adare on Trip Advisor.

zulutango wrote: »
    It's alright. Best described as pub grub. Definitely nothing special about it. Probably a euro or two over priced for what you're getting too.

Okay! Thanks! I can deal with that..it's my friend's birthday and it's her choice so we will see how it is.

I hate how they don't have their menu on their website..I like to pre-plan hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Aragneer wrote: »
    Okay! Thanks! I can deal with that..it's my friend's birthday and it's her choice so we will see how it is.

I hate how they don't have their menu on their website..I like to pre-plan hahaha

God knows why she picked there, but I'm sure she has her reasons! Remember, it's first and foremost a pub. Don't expect to get the kind of grub, service or ambiance you'd get in a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Anyone try the new restaurant opposite Casey's furniture (beside south court) yet?

zulutango wrote: »
    God knows why she picked there, but I'm sure she has her reasons! Remember, it's first and foremost a pub. Don't expect to get the kind of grub, service or ambiance you'd get in a restaurant.

She's very much a pub kind of person hahaah :P But thank you for the warning. I much prefer a restaurant but birthday girl gets her wish.

I got 40 out for two courses and a few drinks. Hopefully that is enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Anyone try the new restaurant opposite Casey's furniture (beside south court) yet?

Went in there last night.

Its very nice, food was very tasty, prawn cocktail to start and the prime rib for 2, beef was overcooked though, i mentioned it to the server when she asked how everything was but my wife doesnt like it when i complain, seemingly i get "hostile":pac: so I didnt send it back.

Would deffo go back, food was seasoned really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Has anyone eaten in the new place Tkee on O Connell St? Is it part of the Centra or what? I've seen a few pics on facebook and the food looks delicious and reasonable too but I don't trust facebook hype :o

It is at the back of the costcutter unit. Says it all really.

All you can eat and most of it cheap muck. Think an even cheaper version of Wokking. It is rubbish.

Owned by same crowd as Jasmine Palace, Wokking, Ze-we-ton.

in short - awful

So after going to the Glenn tavern, I actually liked it. Food was lovely and massive portions too. I had the chicken Kiev which i was worried would be dry but it wasnt. v. Drinks were on the pricey side but I only wanted one anyway.
    Our server was a lovely guy, who joked along with us and joined in our fun. We sat closest to the door in a big group of 8 whilst the normal pub goers were at the far side so we made our own atmosphere and I definitely thoroughly enjoyed it.

Exeggcute wrote: »
    It is at the back of the costcutter unit. Says it all really.

All you can eat and most of it cheap muck. Think an even cheaper version of Wokking. It is rubbish.

Owned by same crowd as Jasmine Palace, Wokking, Ze-we-ton.

in short - awful

Thanks for the heads up! I've noticed loads of 'takeaways' springing up at the back of shops, it's a new 'thing' seemingly :confused: In the evenings, the regular deli in Mace in Caherdavin suddenly transforms into an Indian takeaway :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

Thanks for the heads up! I've noticed loads of 'takeaways' springing up at the back of shops, it's a new 'thing' seemingly :confused: In the evenings, the regular deli in Mace in Caherdavin suddenly transforms into an Indian takeaway :confused:

That indian place at the back of Mace is actually pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

gotasmoke wrote: »
    That indian place at the back of Mace is actually pretty good!

It is quite good. I used it a few times and liked it. Friendly service there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

The kebab shop opens in costcutter in Ballinacurra. It's ok. Nice chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Can anyone recommend a good chinese sick of Zwe Ton and Peony Court is gone mank used to be lovely in both

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Admittedly it's been a while since I ate there but Ginger Lillies on Mulgrave street is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Haven't been in there myself but the folks, who are getting on a bit, thought it was great, all you can eat for a tenner

Can anyone recommend a good chinese sick of Zwe Ton and Peony Court is gone mank used to be lovely in both

Oriental Kitchen on Parnell St is consistently good!

Panda kingdom on upper William Street is great! Bit shabby interior but I love their food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Aragneer wrote: »
    Panda kingdom on upper William Street is great!

My own kingdom!on William Street! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

panda100 wrote: »
    My own kingdom!on William Street! :)

Never tried Panda meself .... is it like beef ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Never tried Panda meself .... is it like beef ?

No! It's hot,feisty and very tasty :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Went with Panda Kingdom it was fantastic will be revisiting soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Went with Panda Kingdom it was fantastic will be revisiting soon :)

Think all chineses taste the same unless really bad

Advertisement