Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Was in Off The Bone today. Ordered off the bar menu. Started with chicken wings. Nice but not the most meaty wings I have had. 10 wings but not very substantial. Not worth 7.50. I had the fish and chips and it was okay. Nicely cooked but small piece of fish. Had a gooey chocolate brownie for dessert. It was dry and sticky. All in all I wouldnt be in a rush back. It was not that memorable a meal. Service was very pleasant however. Very attentive yet not overbearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Bannergal

Anyone know where the chefs/ owners of Thai Gourmet are gone? I've always enjoyed that spot for freshly cooked food

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭nirzenra

Hiya all,

Just wondering does anyone know of somewhere in the city that does quite traditional Sunday lunches that aren't carvary? I'm talking and roast lamb/beef kinda job.

Thanks lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

nirzenra wrote: »
    Hiya all,

Just wondering does anyone know of somewhere in the city that does quite traditional Sunday lunches that aren't carvary? I'm talking and roast lamb/beef kinda job.

Thanks lads!

Any place that is doing that kind of lunch is basically doing a carvery except it's in the kitchen rather on show. With that in mind for a Sunday roast you can't go wrong with bobby Byrnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

bobby Byrnes.

+1 for Bobby's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Dolan's, had bacon & cabbage in there one Sunday, prefer Russell's carvery though, tried Bobby's once, average enough

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

The Woodfield on the Ennis road isn't bad. It's not carvery and they usuaully have a choice of at least 3 different roasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Woodfield food is very good and very good value

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

yogalady wrote: »
    Woodfield food is very good and very good value

Cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Went to de vicenzos (think that's spelt right) yesterday evening, wife's cannelloni was very nice and my pizza was OK.

There was a wine tasting night on and the group doing seemed to be having a bit of fun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Grrrr! Heading out with friends for dinner next week. I suggested Tuscany or The Cornstore, but was shouted down by the rest of them. Stuck with Texas Steakout now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Grrrr! Heading out with friends for dinner next week. I suggested Tuscany or The Cornstore, but was shouted down by the rest of them. Stuck with Texas Steakout now

You need new friends.

I see Tuscany has opened in The Granary. I walked by there last night and thought it looked lovely. Anyone been there yet? Is it very expensive? Thinking of going there on Saturday evening. Do you reckon you would need to make a reservation?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you look up their website you can check prices on their menu. You can also make an online reservation and it tells you what time slots are available. They look to be totally booked out from 19:30 onward on Saturday which is no surprise given it's a weekend and less than 3 weeks to Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Finally got to Da Vincenzo at the weekend. Was fine, but nothing special. portions were absolutely huge,but didn't think the food was as good as I expected. Had the Arancini to start and it had absolutely no flavour whatsoever. The seafood platter was nice, but just way too big ( not a bad complaint).
    The tiramisu was tasty but nothing special, again absolutely huge though.

Service was hit and miss - some people still waiting for starters, others nearly finished. Himself is a small bit annoying as well, but some people loved that so maybe just me.

Would try again outside of Christmas party season but was far from blow away by it.

bazz26 wrote: »
    They look to be totally booked out from 19:30 onward on Saturday which is no surprise given it's a weekend and less than 3 weeks to Christmas.

Thanks for the heads up!Just managed to squeeze in for a 6.30pm sitting :)
    vkid wrote: »
    Himself is a small bit annoying as well, but some people loved that so maybe just me.

I won't hear a bad word about Da Vincenzo!He's so cute, like a little Italian Michael D Higgins

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

panda100 wrote: »
    I won't hear a bad word about Da Vincenzo!He's so cute, like a little Italian Michael D Higgins

Il Piccolo Italiano

Yeah Tuscany looks great on facebook looks loke they are aiming to take on House

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

bigpink wrote: »
    Yeah Tuscany looks great on facebook looks loke they are aiming to take on House

One is a bar, mainly, the other is a restaurant. Where is the competition ?

Having been in both for drinks, House wins hands down.

No Guinness tap in The Granary and the Murphys tap they had was not working.

They advertise a gin bar in The Granary, the rosemary garnish was kept in a plastic bag and was gone off, they seem to just put fruit in drinks for no reason...one round was raspberry, the next was raspberry and blackberry ?It was the same gin.

Could you sit 20 in the Granary ? 2, maybe 3 tables and a bar counter, the whole bar area inside seems like a holding area for the restaurant, larger outside but the sound of the waterfall is just too loud.

oleras wrote: »
    One is a bar, mainly, the other is a restaurant. Where is the competition ?

Having been in both for drinks, House wins hands down.

No Guinness tap in The Granary and the Murphys tap they had was not working.

They advertise a gin bar in The Granary, the rosemary garnish was kept in a plastic bag and was gone off, they seem to just put fruit in drinks for no reason...one round was raspberry, the next was raspberry and blackberry ?It was the same gin.

Could you sit 20 in the Granary ? 2, maybe 3 tables and a bar counter, the whole bar area inside seems like a holding area for the restaurant, larger outside but the sound of the waterfall is just too loud.

They are running it as late bar fri and sat nights.wantbpeople to eat and stay for drinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Was in the Treasury Saturday for the early bird menu. 25 euro for 3courses before 630pm. Both food and service was amazing. Wonderful evening had by all. Cant wait to go back

• Registered Users Posts: 24,311 ✭✭✭✭phog

Is there any restaurant/pub in Limerick or nearby that serves Boxty?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

phog wrote: »
    Is there any restaurant/pub in Limerick or nearby that serves Boxty?

Never heard of it before. For anyone else who hasn't https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxty
    http://www.chowhound.com/recipes/boxty-irish-potato-pancake-28172

Can't help you on where to get it phog.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Ate in Kaya for the first time - seriously good food, non-intrusive staff which is always nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Went in to The Buttery for dinner the other night - four of us (inc. a smallie) had mains - all four meals were delicious, much better than what some 'restaurants' dish up and it all came to just over €50. One of my favourite places in town to eat.. the staff are easy on the eye too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Not sure if this is the correct thread to be posting in, or not, but I'd be interested to get peoples opinions on where is the best place in-and-around the city to get a sandwich/roll for lunch. I often get a wrap from Canteen and find it very nice, The Sandwich Shop used to be decent, but has since closed. Any recommendations? Should probably say, I'd be more interested in take-out options, rather than sitting-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Glessons Spar on Henry St. Very friendly staff and food is good, never had a problem.

Was in Tuscany in The Granary last week. Great food, staff and environment. All I could think of looking around the place was Trinity Rooms.

"Thats where I lost my phone in 2009".

"Thats where I fell".

"I fell there too".

:pac:

Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Meh Trinity Rooms. I remember when it was Doc's.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Meh Trinity Rooms. I remember when it was Doc's.

You're old, man.

:p

Advertisement