Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Have always been a fan of the Tuscany out in Castletroy so I went for lunch in Tuscany the granary yesterday and it didn't disappoint. Food was excellent and I really liked the look they have given both inside and out. Will definitely head back for an evening meal and drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You're old, man.

:p

Says he who drives a Volvo. :D

bazz26 wrote: »
    Says he who drives a Volvo. :D

Drove a Volvo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Had a meal in Tuscany Bistro earlier. It was ok. I used their online reservation service.
    When I arrived they said, by their records, my booking was for an hour earlier. I asked could they still seat us, which they could, but they said they would need the table back sooner then expected.
    As they were seating us the waiter asked me to look up the confirmation email so they knew it wasn't their mistake. No need for that seeing as they could still seat us. It actually really created an awkward atmosphere with the group. It was embarrassing for me having to produce proof, in front of company. I'm sure he was confident that it was indeed my mistake.
    Nonetheless I found the email and sure enough it was for the time which I thought it was. When I went up to the counter to show the waiter he acted like he had never asked to see it and made it seem like I was some how gloating. No apology was offered at all. Thankfully we had the table as long as we need it so it didn't intefer with our plans.
    I do feel, going forward, if they are proven to have made a mistake with a booking they should offer an apology of some kind. The food was nice however and the interior is gorgeous.
    I would still go back but maybe ring to confirm booking a few days ahead!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Eight of us were in Chocolate today, not a place that would be top of my list to visit but the staff were pleasant & attentive, seven starters, eight mains, two deserts, tea & coffee all round, a Gin & tonic & a rum & coke came to €233, everyone enjoyed the food, less than €30 a head so not bad at all

Out with work on Thursday, grub & drinks at House, food was really good, no idea of cost as it was a freebie

Jasmine Palace last Saturday for the buffet, stuffed afterwards but think the food quality has slipped since last visit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Merry Christmas all!

Maybe not the right thread but thought I'd check anyway.

Can anyone recommend a nice afternoon tea in Limerick? (I did search the thread but nothing came up)
    I want to get a voucher for a pregnant friend I had hoped for Adare Manor (buts its closed at the moment) or the Mustard Seed (doesn't do afternoon tea).

I live abroad myself and had hoped to take her somewhere when i got home over Christmas but I haven't been able to travel so I would like to get her a voucher for her and her mam/or a friend instead. Just want to treat her to a nice afternoon so atmosphere is as important is as much as the food.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

wuffly wrote: »
    Merry Christmas all!

Can anyone recommend a nice afternoon tea in Limerick? (I did search the thread but nothing came up)
    I want to get a voucher for a pregnant friend I had hoped for Adare Manor (buts its closed at the moment) or the Mustard Seed (doesn't do afternoon tea).

I live abroad myself and had hoped to take her somewhere when i got home over Christmas but I haven't been able to travel so I would like to get her a voucher for her and her mam/or a friend instead. Just want to treat her to a nice afternoon so atmosphere is as important is as much as the food.

TIA

The Radisson do an afternoon tea...
    https://cache.carlsonhotels.com/galleries/radblu/PDF/LMKZR/lmkzr-afternoon-tea-menu-aug-2016.pdf

They also used to do a spa treatment package which included afternoon tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

wuffly wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a nice afternoon tea in Limerick? (I did search the thread but nothing came up) I want to get a voucher for a pregnant friend I had hoped for Adare Manor (buts its closed at the moment) or the Mustard Seed (doesn't do afternoon tea).

The Savoy Hotel in town or Dromoland Castle if you want to be very fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya Dormoland , The Savoy or The Strand are probably your best options.

You also have Adares Old Creamery if you want to go out that direction.

On Fr.Russell Road you have Miss Marples Tea Rooms just down from Russell's Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

wuffly wrote: »
    Merry Christmas all!

TIA

For a really luxurious atmosphere you should probably go for 1 Pery Square, they'll be well looked after.
    Savoy also decent, I assume you are looking for 5 star service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

+1 1Pery Square

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

+1 Pery square

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

The Savoy is hard to beat for afternoon teas

The Savoy is hard to beat for afternoon teas

Well unless your a wheelchair user

Thanks for all the suggestions!! Will check them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

panda100 wrote: »

Apologised and clarified
    Tbh seemed a little blown out of proportion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

panda100 wrote:
    bennyl10 wrote:
    Apologised and clarified Tbh seemed a little blown out of proportion

I thought it was poor form of them to take their grievances to social media so quickly. There was a better way to deal with it.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Apologised and clarified
    Tbh seemed a little blown out of proportion

How was it clarified? The manager said that an individuals wheelchair was 'cumbersome' and 'quite large' so was asked to move for no apparent reason. You can't get more discriminatory or offensive than that.

panda100 wrote: »
    How was it clarified? The manager said that an individuals wheelchair was 'cumbersome' and 'quite large' so was asked to move for no apparent reason. You can't get more discriminatory or offensive than that.

Savoys response in the leader..

2 sides and all that jazz

• Registered Users Posts: 24,312 ✭✭✭✭phog

Savoys response in the leader..

2 sides and all that jazz

Have you a link or a synopsis of the response?

Was the wheelchair user asked to leave the premises? If yes, why?

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    Have you a link or a synopsis of the response?

Was the wheelchair user asked to leave the premises? If yes, why?

"Ronan Branigan, manager, spoke to the Limerick Leader in the wake of the accusation that a staff member asked the man to leave on the basis of his disability.

“As far as we can understand at the moment, he was asked just to move across the front of the reception, out of the fire escape way which was being blocked, and unfortunately the communication was misunderstood or misconstrued and taken to be a request to leave the hotel, which it certainly wasn’t.”"
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/228688/limerick-s-savoy-hotel-reaches-out-to-man-amid-mass-outrage.html

Truth probably lies somewhere in a between mire!

“As far as we can understand at the moment, he was asked just to move across the front of the reception, out of the fire escape way which was being blocked, and unfortunately the communication was misunderstood or misconstrued and taken to be a request to leave the hotel, which it certainly wasn’t.”"
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/228688/limerick-s-savoy-hotel-reaches-out-to-man-amid-mass-outrage.html

Truth probably lies somewhere in a between mire!

It doesn't make sense to me how a power wheelchair user could be 'blocking' a fire escape way. To add to that the comments about how the wheelchair was cumbersome, really just highlights the discriminatory interactions disabled people encounter everyday in Limerick .

However, in fairness to the manager of The Savoy he has desperately tried to make amends with the individual in question and has apologised for his inappropriate language to describe the persons wheelchair. I think the whole saga is a positive experience really as it can only make The Savoy and other hotels more accessible and wheelchair friendly.

Thanks again for the suggestions, I checked them out and went with 1 Pery Square, fits the bill perfectly. Hope she enjoys it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

No prices on the Freddy's website? What's it like, reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Yeah I would say it's reasonable. I think it's €35 pre person for a three course set menu.

Edit: http://freddysbistro.com/content/menus/christmas/late.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Seems like a lot of the places recommended on this thread are booked out tonight, including Freddys so will have to leave that for another night. Ended up getting the old reliable Bambu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Was in cornstore today and shared a chateaubriand. Very well cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Are takeaways and things open today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Has anyone tried Wok To Go, or the new large cafe, in Arthurs' Quay yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

AlanOB wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Wok To Go, or the new large cafe, in Arthurs' Quay yet?

My friends went. They said it was like Wokking with a few more options and better prices. I thought it was very similar to Mr. Noodle. The quality and prices are good but in the end, it's typical noodle and rice dishes that you find in many chinese takeaways.

Give it a go though if you fancy it, I've heard good things.

The large cafe? Are you talking about upstairs? That looks really nice, I like what they did with the place.

Advertisement