Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Is it just me or is the table service in Hook & Ladder Sarsfield St. absolutely dreadful?

Treated like the invisible man there today and not the first time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Yes and like that from the start too , hasn't improved

Aragneer wrote: »
    My friends went. They said it was like Wokking with a few more options and better prices. I thought it was very similar to Mr. Noodle. The quality and prices are good but in the end, it's typical noodle and rice dishes that you find in many chinese takeaways.

Give it a go though if you fancy it, I've heard good things.

The large cafe? Are you talking about upstairs? That looks really nice, I like what they did with the place.

I don't think it is a patch on Mr Noodle.

I had a Thai Green Curry there and it was awful. Mr. Noodle on the other hand is delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Exeggcute wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the table service in Hook & Ladder Sarsfield St. absolutely dreadful?

Yeah it was like that the last time i was in there. Food served way before drinks etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

I don't think it is a patch on Mr Noodle.

I had a Thai Green Curry there and it was awful. Mr. Noodle on the other hand is delicious.

Sorry, my wording was appalling ha. I meant that it's a similar concept.

My partner loves Mr. Noodle. My friends who preferred Wokking preferred it due to the fact that it kept better for leftovers than Mr. Noodle but I don't know what they were talking about because I have never had issues with leftovers in Mr. Noodle (if there have ever been any)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 LimkTeach

Went to Off The Bone last weekend. Place was very busy but as we had a reservation our table was ready for us. First impressions were really good. However after being seated things went from bad to shocking. Service was abysmal took ages to take orders. Confused orders. Took ages for food to arrive and then it came in dribs and drabs. There were 8 of us and between the first person receiving their starter and the last person it was 15 mins. Waited a ridiculous time for mains after finishing starters and had to look for a staff memeber to give us cutlery as the other member from whom we had already rquesred cutlery from seemed to have forgotten. Tea came with no milk again we asked and waited ages. Overall atmosphere was nice, decor was nice, food was fine nothing worth noting but overpriced in my opinion but the service was so poor that I cannot imagine ever returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mtpayslips

went to Tuscany in the granary recently - lovely atmosphere, nice food (portion size was generous). waiting staff were a bit abrupt but I can't fault speed of service. I do wish they had proper black pepper mills though - the ones on the table are puny!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,312 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was in the Italian restaurant in the George last night, my first visit and it won't be my last. The owner visits each table for a bit of chat which we liked, the staff were fab as was the food. I'd recommend it for an evening out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Always enjoy Hook & Ladder, wait staff seem to be mainly late teen early twenties female, always find them pleasant but also always though they weren't 100℅ sure or confident as regards what they should be doing

Funnily enough, the son who runs the one out in Corbally, which always seems to be busy, maybe he's on here, well anyway, sign up today saying closing at 5pm for staff training

Marie's Cheese Cafe in the Milk Market - never again.

Owner has atrocious manner. Rolling her eyes because I asked for a spoon so I could remove the teabag from my scalding hot tea.

I suppose she'd prefer I plucked it out with my bare hands.

• Advertisement

Marie's Cheese Cafe in the Milk Market - never again.

Owner has atrocious manner. Rolling her eyes because I asked for a spoon so I could remove the teabag from my scalding hot tea.

I suppose she'd prefer I plucked it out with my bare hands.

A teabag in a mug/cup? Enough for me to never go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Leonita

Ordered takeout from Taikichi last night. It was awful everything was freezing cold. Was very disappointed after hearing rave reviews about the place. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

leo78 wrote: »
    Ordered takeout from Taikichi last night. It was awful everything was freezing cold. Was very disappointed after hearing rave reviews about the place. Never again.

Sushi is served cold :p

On a serious note, never tried takeout from there but anytime I ate in the restaurant it was top notch. Could it have been an issue with the delivery co?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Leonita

Not chicken teriyaki though surely?

leo78 wrote: »

As in Post #2295 - I've never had a bad meal there but I've never had a takeaway from there.

I'd call in there today and say it to the owner.

I booked a table for the Cornstore on a Wednesday. Is there three course deal thing for 30euro (think it's the early bird) on all evening sunday-thursday?

Think I read somewhre but was unsure if I was correct in thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭adaminho

http://cornstore.ie/limerick-specials/
    Aragneer wrote: »
    I booked a table for the Cornstore on a Wednesday. Is there three course deal thing for 30euro (think it's the early bird) on all evening sunday-thursday?

Think I read somewhre but was unsure if I was correct in thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭PIORUN

LimkTeach wrote: »
    Went to Off The Bone last weekend. Place was very busy but as we had a reservation our table was ready for us. First impressions were really good. However after being seated things went from bad to shocking. Service was abysmal took ages to take orders. Confused orders. Took ages for food to arrive and then it came in dribs and drabs. There were 8 of us and between the first person receiving their starter and the last person it was 15 mins. Waited a ridiculous time for mains after finishing starters and had to look for a staff memeber to give us cutlery as the other member from whom we had already rquesred cutlery from seemed to have forgotten. Tea came with no milk again we asked and waited ages. Overall atmosphere was nice, decor was nice, food was fine nothing worth noting but overpriced in my opinion but the service was so poor that I cannot imagine ever returning.
    yeah wentin the the week before xmas, the staff were very young. didn't seem to know what they were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

First day back at work today after a long break so and we were both too tired to cook so we got Mr. Noodle. I had the yaki ramen and my other half had beef satay with noodles and we both thought it was fantastic. I'd had it before and wasn't mad about it but that was because I tried something new that I wasn't sure I'd like. A firm thumbs up and a nice cheap dinner. 10/10! There's even enough for lunch tomorrow from the regular box.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Anywhere in the city do a decent soup and sandwich deal for a decent price?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help with the Cornstore.

Just to let anyone know planning to dine out on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday of next week - graduations are on in UL so best book the table in case :) I know a lot of us going to the Cornstore on both Tuesday and Wednesday. Just thought a friendly head's up would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Anywhere in the city do a decent soup and sandwich deal for a decent price?

Nancys, Flannerys on Mallow St next to Myles Breens, there's probably loads more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

leakyboots wrote: »
    Nancys, Flannerys on Mallow St next to Myles Breens, there's probably loads more

Just a heads up it's Shannon St.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Avoid Flannerys on Shannon Street - their soup is woeful. Its just cupasoup in a bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

leakyboots wrote: »

There really isn't. I don't understand why more restuarant / cafe type places don't offer deals on it, soup is one of the cheapest things they can make. Soup Cafe on William St is a loss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Soup isnt trendy or cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Carvery lunches have been all the range in pubs since the Celtic Tiger days. Soup and sandwiches have been pushed back to the likes of Centras or petrol stations these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Soup and a wrap is €10 in Canteen on Mallow Street. Definitely on the pricey side, but it's good, healthy food, so worth paying a premium for sometimes.

The stuff you get in a deli is more than likely not very good for you.

Mickey Martins do a fairly decent light lunch, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Nancy's do a nice soup though in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

zulutango wrote: »

The stuff you get in a deli is more than likely not very good for you.

I'm very suspicious of soups in most cafe's, restaurant and pubs. they are either just tins of chopped tomatoes or watered down packet soup.

Only place I would trust for soup is vegetarian or vegan spots. The soup in The Grove is usually the best but haven't been there in a while.

Advertisement