Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

zulutango wrote: »
    Soup and a wrap is €10 in Canteen on Mallow Street. Definitely on the pricey side, but it's good, healthy food, so worth paying a premium for sometimes.

The stuff you get in a deli is more than likely not very good for you.

Mickey Martins do a fairly decent light lunch, by the way.

10 euro mad.
    Yes mickeys do but pull the plug at 2.30 and dont advertise it with a board.odd dau they may post on facebook

panda100 wrote: »
    I'm very suspicious of soups in most cafe's, restaurant and pubs. they are either just tins of chopped tomatoes or watered down packet soup.

Only place I would trust for soup is vegetarian or vegan spots. The soup in The Grove is usually the best but haven't been there in a while.

Agree having worked in the trade
    Its catering sized powder from musgraves or Pallas foods

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

bigpink wrote: »
    10 euro mad.

It's a reasonable lunch though, for the same price you'd pay in any sit-down place, that isn't a centra deli (which I wouldn't touch with a barge pole).

It's a reasonable lunch though, for the same price you'd pay in any sit-down place, that isn't a centra deli (which I wouldn't touch with a barge pole).

For soup and wrap its dear tho
    What stuff ya dont like in centra?

Was the Soup cafe any good?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Arabica Coffee shop do nice soup

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Was the Soup cafe any good?

Was very good when it started but quality started to slip in the last 6 months it was open.

I wouldn't trust it in any of pubs.

Mickey Martins lunch menu, while small is definitely one of the better options around. I've never been disappointed with it and it's now one of my go to places if I'm ever working in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Anywhere in the city do a decent soup and sandwich deal for a decent price?

Quigleys is nice. Decent size bowl of soup and as far as I remember a choice of about 2/3 sandwiches/toasties. Now 100% sure of the price but I think around €6/7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

The portions in Canteen are woeful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭timmaii

Parchment wrote: »
    The portions in Canteen are woeful though.

I've had the soup and wrap a few times and always thought it was good value for money for what you get (quality, fresh food). You get a homemade lemonade for the €10 too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

+1 for Canteen. Bit on the expensive side but you pay a premium for quality, fresh food and, imo, it's a cut above the rest.

Havent tried canteen but have walked past a few times but seems to be empty or shutting up shop but fair play seem to get people up to mallow street
    They need a menu outside tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Havent tried canteen but have walked past a few times but seems to be empty or shutting up shop but fair play seem to get people up to mallow street
    They need a menu outside tho

Ya, I think they close a bit earlier than usual opening hours - around half 3 or 4. As far as I know, they are planning on moving to a bigger premises somewhere on Catherine St., so that probably spells the end of their Mallow St. operations...

Ya, I think they close a bit earlier than usual opening hours - around half 3 or 4. As far as I know, they are planning on moving to a bigger premises somewhere on Catherine St., so that probably spells the end of their Mallow St. operations...

Might try but the prices is offputting.Oh where in Catherine street?Theres another vegan health food place opening in the okd fire station top of thomas street

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I think it isn't going to be too far from where they currently are. There's a big office trade up around there.

If you want fresh, healthy food, Canteen is definitely a good bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

The new canteen will be across from Daffys on Catherine Street or on the alley way up to costellos. I think it's a good move tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

They open from 8.00 to 4.00, and 10.00 to 4.00 on Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

Anywhere in the city do a decent soup and sandwich deal for a decent price?

Cafe Waffe on Lower Mallow Street do soup and a toasted ham & cheese sambo for €4.00. Food in general is good and very reasonably priced there.

sioda wrote: »
    The new canteen will be across from Daffys on Catherine Street or on the alley way up to costellos. I think it's a good move tbh

Old travel agents so.Not going far so

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Hook and Ladder Castletroy....

Usually decent... Occasionally great.
    Today it was very very bad. €7.95 for a toasted ham sandwich from the menu...Well it was literally a €7.95 toasted sandwich...Dunno what I was expecting really. Not great at all, same thing you'd also together at home and throw in the lunch box.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Cafe Waffe on Lower Mallow Street do soup and a toasted ham & cheese sambo for €4.00. Food in general is good and very reasonably priced there.

Cafe Waffe is a nice spot - very clean, nice staff, good portions and good prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€8 for a toasted ham sandwich. The boom times are truly back then.

bazz26 wrote: »
    €8 for a toasted ham sandwich. The boom times are truly back then.

All the yummy mummies altho plenty og young crowd going in there
    Boom times are back when i see tutorial students goingbto bobby byrnes for lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

All the yummy mummies altho plenty og young crowd going in there
    Boom times are back when i see tutorial students goingbto bobby byrnes for lunch

Clements used to go to Bobby's at lunch. Doubt if they still do.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Clements used to go to Bobby's at lunch. Doubt if they still do.

Thats because of that "incident" back in the day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

What "incident" was this now!

AlanOB wrote: »
    What "incident" was this now!

Something got to do with fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Exeggcute wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the table service in Hook & Ladder Sarsfield St. absolutely dreadful?

Treated like the invisible man there today and not the first time either.
    Same here.

I want the place to succeed, and it was a breath of fresh air when it arrived, but I'm probably not going there again.

Parchment wrote: »

Cafe Waffe is a nice spot - very clean, nice staff, good portions and good prices.
    Only been there once, but I was pleased.

• Advertisement

AlanOB wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Wok To Go, or the new large cafe, in Arthurs' Quay yet?
    The new large cafe in Arthurs Quay is excellent. A huge improvement.

Advertisement