Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I would rate the food and experience in The Curragower much more highly than Canteen and La Cucina. Yet they never get a mention in any of these guides. It's obviously all about being social media savvy more than food quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Strettie11 wrote: »
    Sunday Times / Mckennas 100 best restaurants for 2017 was published over the weekend and again Limerick have the same 3 restaurants as last year and 2015 ???

La Cucina
    Canteen

No change in 3 years

McKenna guides are basically paid for advertising dressed up as reviews.

From an interview with the owners:

http://www.thejournal.ie/john-mckenna-food-writer-interview-2-2950721-Aug2016/

Their site, Guides.ie, doesn’t host any ads. Instead, the McKennas use it to host paid-for information on food businesses and accommodation.
    They also sell ‘McKennas’ Best in Ireland’ plaques to the businesses they write about, charge a fee to speak at events and offer a consultancy service to hospitality businesses. McKenna still writes for The Irish Times, but on a monthly basis.

They ain't going to sell too many plagues if they are critical about the restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Had lunch about four times in The Hunt Cafe (Hunt Museum) recently.

Food is always so fresh and tasty. I had the lasagne today and it was possibly the best lasagne I've eaten in Limerick or anywhere else. Lunch menu is simple with about three items for main course but lots of other options like quiche, baps, salads etc. and some very tasty home-made desserts like lemon meringue pie. Their coffee is great too.

It's not carvery but freshly cooked and served piping hot as well. It's now my favourite go-to place in town for lunch..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

tippman1 wrote: »
    Had lunch about four times in The Hunt Cafe (Hunt Museum) recently.

Food is always so fresh and tasty. I had the lasagne today and it was possibly the best lasagne I've eaten in Limerick or anywhere else. Lunch menu is simple with about three items for main course but lots of other options like quiche, baps, salads etc. and some very tasty home-made desserts like lemon meringue pie. Their coffee is great too.

It's not carvery but freshly cooked and served piping hot as well. It's now my favourite go-to place in town for lunch..

Funnily enough i ate in there today - its been YEARS since i was there. I wasnt overly impressed.

I paid 8.50 for a "melt", it was half a small ciabatta with one piece of goats cheese and some sad vegetables. It came with three salads - the choice of salads was weird - either carrot based salads or coleslaw.

The place was chaotic (it was 1 o'clock) and i didnt think it seemed very clean/tidy. some of the chairs were grotty looking.

I ate my food and left -wouldnt go back there. Its a pity, it could be amazing.

Parchment wrote: »

The place was chaotic (it was 1 o'clock) and i didn't think it seemed very clean/tidy. some of the chairs were grotty looking.

I ate my food and left -wouldn't go back there. Its a pity, it could be amazing.

I was there at the same time as you then!

Yeah it was a bit chaotic around the counter and pay area and yes, the chairs aren't the greatest but I still like the place and any food I've had there has been really tasty so I won't complain about the general ambience - or lack thereoff. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I was there at the same time as you then!

Yeah it was a bit chaotic around the counter and pay area and yes, the chairs aren't the greatest but I still like the place and any food I've had there has been really tasty so I won't complain about the general ambience - or lack thereoff. :)

It was a sea of grey heads in there today!

I sat in the section out by the windows and i think the chairs there are kind of general purpose chairs not strictly for the cafe so maybe thats why they were grubby.

Parchment wrote: »
    It was a sea of grey heads in there today!

I sat in the section out by the windows and i think the chairs there are kind of general purpose chairs not strictly for the cafe so maybe thats why they were grubby.

I think that if the place were to be painted and given a make-over....new tables & chairs, it would be a really cool little restaurant - and fairly low-key too. I rarely hear anyone ever talking about it but it has a sort of quirky nature to it just the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The people behind it do catering too and it's some of the best I've ever had for outside catering

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Anyone been to Off the Bone lately??

Sorry if there's been a load of posts but can't find anything recent

Was there today for lunch with two friends. I had Beef Stroganoff which was nice but could have been a bit hotter, to be honest.

My two friends had roast lamb but they both found it a little tough and slightly undercooked.

We all had Orange Chocolate cake which we enjoyed. Staff were friendly too.

Would I return? I'd give it another try but to be honest it was just ok, nothing special. Russell's is better, I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Was there today for lunch with two friends. I had Beef Stroganoff which was nice but could have been a bit hotter, to be honest.

My two friends had roast lamb but they both found it a little tough and slightly undercooked.

We all had Orange Chocolate cake which we enjoyed. Staff were friendly too.

Would I return? I'd give it another try but to be honest it was just ok, nothing special. Russell's is better, I thought.

Russell's being better wouldn't exactly be a vote of confidence in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Went to off the bone one Sunday with kids. We got our meals and we're finished before kids meals arrived. All a bit chaotic. Far nicer places around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Disclaimer: I'm in no way affiliated with Canteen! :D However, I must give credit where credit is due, and I was there yesterday and got their organic meatball lunchbox and coffee for €10. Was delicious, and a great alternative to the ubiquitous soup & sambo combination for lunch. €10 may be a bit on the steep side, particularly when compared to a hot chicken roll/sambo, but there is no comparison in my eyes. Highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Strettie11

Irish Restaurant Awards Munster
    Limerick Best Restaurant 1826
    Limerick Best Chef Wade Murphy 1826
    Munster best Restaurant Manager Elaine Murphy 1826
    Limerick Pub of The Year Tom Collins
    Limerick Best Hotel Restaurant River Restaurant Strand Hotel
    Limerick Best Gastro Pub Curragower
    Munster Best Cafe Canteen
    Limerick Best Newcomer La Cucina Centro
    Limerick Best Customer Service Maigue Restaurant Dunraven
    Limerick Best Casual Dining Coqbull

Irish Restaurant Awards Munster
    Limerick Best Restaurant 1826
    Limerick Best Chef Wade Murphy 1826
    Munster best Restaurant Manager Elaine Murphy 1826
    Limerick Pub of The Year Tom Collins
    Limerick Best Hotel Restaurant River Restaurant Strand Hotel
    Limerick Best Gastro Pub Curragower
    Munster Best Cafe Canteen
    Limerick Best Newcomer La Cucina Centro
    Limerick Best Customer Service Maigue Restaurant Dunraven

I think House should have been included in there somewhere. Tom Collins is just a horrid extension of Nancys now and I really do not get the love for La Cucina Centro or Canteen. Both style over substance imo.

I would agree with the rest of the awards though. Well deserved to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Food in the strand is awful.

A number of times I have been and always at least one dish goes back.

1826 I keep meaning to get to.

Curragower have defo upped their game in recent times excellent food and service.

Personally I find canteen OK excellent coffee but it's not somewhere at the top of my lunch list.

Centro I really like now it could be the oreo cupcake at the end but the food especially the calzone I really enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

sioda wrote: »
    1826 I keep meaning to get to.

Amazing spot. It was on my to do list for ages as well and finally went last month. Great menu, food and service. Would highly recommend it.

sioda wrote: »
    Curragower have defo upped their game in recent times excellent food and service.

They've majorly upped their prices to reflect that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Tim76 wrote:
    Amazing spot. It was on my to do list for ages as well and finally went last month. Great menu, food and service. Would highly recommend it.

That's the place in Adare?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

That's the place in Adare?

Yeah, it's in one of the thatched cottages on the left as you're driving in from the Limerick side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Loved Coqbull on my first venture there. Must make a return again in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Noveight wrote: »
    Loved Coqbull on my first venture there. Must make a return again in the next few weeks.

Coqbull is always fantastic. It's fairly pricey for what is essentially burgers and chips though.

The hotsauce side that you get get with chips is great.

I got takeaway from the new vegan place, The old fire station on Saturday. The bean burger and sauce was delicious. The accompanying carrot and rice salad was also very tasty. For dessert I got the vegan Lemon Cake and I am honestly still dreaming about it now. It was the most scrumptious cake I've ever tasted.

There was a lovely vibe in there also. Highly recommend and great addition to the city

Ate in Brew Brothers out near UL recently. For lack of a better description I'd say it's like Coqbull but on a tighter budget.

Staff were friendly and service was quick. BBQ chicken wings to start followed by one of their beef burgers. Food was very tasty and their servings are generous. €20 for the starter, main, dessert and tea/coffee.

Not fine dining by any stretch but great value for money. Would certainly pop in again for a casual bite to eat.

Ate in Brew Brothers out near UL recently. For lack of a better description I'd say it's like Coqbull but on a tighter budget.

Staff were friendly and service was quick. BBQ chicken wings to start followed by one of their beef burgers. Food was very tasty and their servings are generous. €20 for the starter, main, dessert and tea/coffee.

Not fine dining by any stretch but great value for money. Would certainly pop in again for a casual bite to eat.

I like brew bros. The nachos are fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Best burgers in Limerick by a mile for me, great chips. I love their onion rings.
    Good place to go with kids as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 limhorse1

nirzenra wrote: »
    Hiya all,

Just wondering does anyone know of somewhere in the city that does quite traditional Sunday lunches that aren't carvary? I'm talking and roast lamb/beef kinda job.

Thanks lads!

Not in the city but vines in ballyneety golf club doing fantastic beef lunch not carvery and quite reasonable have being on 5 or 6 different occasions and have never had a bad meal there

• Registered Users Posts: 21 limhorse1

Has anyone been in Achari in Castletroy? Have seen a few people talking about it of facebook. Curious if it's worth a visit or not?

taken over from where meal masa left off as the tastiest Indian in town imo had the vindaloo few weeks ago was seriously good grub

I ate in Bobby Byrne's yesterday evening. I had heard that their carvery is one of the best in town but I arrived a little later and ordered from their à La Carte menu.

Service was quick and very friendly. I ordered their homemade beef burger and it was one of the nicest I've eaten, very generous serving of chips and salad with it. Delighted to see they'd my beloved Murphy's on tap, so I couldn't leave without a quiet one.

My bill came to 18 euro. 4.50 for a lovely pint of Ireland's nicest stout (:p) and 13.50 for the beef burger. Is that a tad on the expensive side? I'm unsure and open to correction :)

Anyways, I would certainly recommend Bobby's. Top class food and service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Where's good for pizza? Preferably delivered pizza!

Advertisement