Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

Haven't been there in a while, (an equally nice one opened in Shannon) but I used to love their Naram Garam Gosht, lamb with chickpeas and coriander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Haven't been there in a while, (an equally nice one opened in Shannon) but I used to love their Naram Garam Gosht, lamb with chickpeas and coriander.

That place in Shannon is really nice. had a Christmas meal with clients there, very very tasty. Mogul was always good, haven't been there in ages though.

Limerick is well catered for with good Indian/Thai and even Japanese.
    The quality of Chinese food has plummeted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

vkid wrote: »
    That place in Shannon is really nice. had a Christmas meal with clients there, very very tasty. Mogul was always good, haven't been there in ages though.

It hasn't plummeted at all. It's always been rubbish identikit places only differentiated by the ones that have been temporarily shut by the health inspector and those that haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,313 ✭✭✭✭phog

It hasn't plummeted at all. It's always been rubbish identikit places only differentiated by the ones that have been temporarily shut by the health inspector and those that haven't.

I wouldn't have called the original Lido on Broad St as rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

vkid wrote: »

Has it really plummeted? Or have the newer establishments just shown what muck the old "chinese" places were serving up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Treepole wrote: »
    Has it really plummeted? Or have the newer establishments just shown what muck the old "chinese" places were serving up?

Think you hit the nail on the head - Aroi was a revelation when it arrived at first and I think it raised the bar (it's gone downhill since, but that's a different story). The 'old reliables' like Zweton with their (rumoured) pre-made meals just pale in comparison.

Other Aroi-type 'real Asian/street food' establishments have opened since, Camille and Lana spring to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

The food in Zweton and even the Woking for example was far better a few years ago than it is now. Particularly the Woking, they are just horsing out any old slop to people these days. The Jasmine was once a really good spot, not so much any more. Zweton used to be nice when it opened first, now it seems the 10 Euro lunch deal is about their only selling point and I'd give that a miss personally.

The only one that is anyway good for me at the moment is the Shamrock near the Jetland, and not as good as it was. I find it better for take away than a sit in meal..

I've been to Chinese places all over the world so for me personally it was not a case of Aroi and the likes raising the bar, but 5-10 years ago there were a few in Limerick that were very good...not anymore.
    Aroi was just another asian resturant when I was there last week, nothing special at all. Camille is nice but not THAT good, LANA is very hit and miss for me, the service really lets them down particularly in the Castletroy one. Mr noodle and Wok to go are ok, but not that good. I still really like King Thai, just not the location/building.

Everyone has different tastes and preferences, but personally I think the Chinese food offering has really slipped in the last few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

I've been to Aroi several times this year, has to be the best value meal in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

I've been to Aroi several times this year, has to be the best value meal in Limerick.

Know one says it isn't good value, but the quality isn't the same since the Indian lads toke it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Chinese Palace for a take-away Chinese is consistently good! Its in the Roxboro SC - very reasonable prices too.

• Advertisement

davo2001 wrote: »
    Know one says it isn't good value, but the quality isn't the same since the Indian lads toke it over.

The quality is exceptional for a tenner - it's not reasonable to expect more when McDonald's next door will run close to that for a meal. Haven't been before this year so I can't comment on how it's changed.

I'd rank it will above Camille and Lana (Lana has gone downhill after a promising start). Kaya is another great option in that range.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Love the Mogul but had nicer Bombay Aloo from Spice Of India last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Dannymole22

The quality is exceptional for a tenner - it's not reasonable to expect more when McDonald's next door will run close to that for a meal. Haven't been before this year so I can't comment on how it's changed.

I'd rank it will above Camille and Lana (Lana has gone downhill after a promising start). Kaya is another great option in that range.

KAYA and LANA have the same owners and I haven't found much difference in the food. Service in KAYA is much better though.

Had Coqbull last week. Waited an hour for a burger that ended up being cold. Few tables there around the same length of time had a go off the manager. Well overpriced too won't be going back anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭shanmo

Tim76 wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me

How it's still open I don't know. I would advise anyone that is thinking of going there not to. Probably some of the worst food I've had.

leakyboots wrote: »
    Mogul Emperor and Spice of India are the two best Indians I've come across in town

I haven't had anything from Mogul Emperor but agree that the Spice of India is great. It's a good Indian restaurant all round. You'd be hard to beat it. I nearly dismissed it at first due to its location and shabby stair way but the food is fab.

In my opinion Kaya in town is a brilliant Thai restaurant and probably one of my favourites. The chefs in there know what they're doing and are always friendly when I look in.

In my opinion they serve up tasty, flavoursome food and good quality food. I'd highly recommend it.

I also like the restaurant itself. It's a nice restaurant to sit and chat in over a meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

shanmo wrote: »
    In my opinion Kaya in town is a brilliant Thai restaurant and probably one of my favourites. The chefs in there know what they're doing and are always friendly when I look in.

In my opinion they serve up tasty, flavoursome food and good quality food. I'd highly recommend it.

I also like the restaurant itself. It's a nice restaurant to sit and chat in over a meal.

Agreed. Any time I ate there, food was excellent and the service was very good too. Must try Spice of India next door soon, great reviews here and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

shanmo wrote: »

i like Kaya in raheen often pop in there for lunch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Comhra wrote: »
    Agreed. Any time I ate there, food was excellent and the service was very good too. Must try Spice of India next door soon, great reviews here and elsewhere.

I always loved Spice of India but we had takeaway from there recently and the food has definitely gone downhill a bit. GC naas were a huge disappointment, hard, chewy and inedible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Went to Copper and Spice today with the other half and the folks absolutely gorgeous would go back there in a heartbeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Was at Nevilles Cross near Adare and it was a lovely meal, very busy restaurant, so you'd want to make a reservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Went to Copper and Spice today with the other half and the folks absolutely gorgeous would go back there in a heartbeat

Ah i miss C&S the most of all things in limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

The food in Copper and Spice is absolutely gorgeous but the staff can be appalling there.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Jasmine Palace, Woking, Zweton, Chocolat are all owned by the same people

It's mostly muck.

How the Jasmine has its reputation is beyond me - its bog standard and the last time I was there the carpet was FILTHY

The Woking is only suitable for drunks. A dog wouldn't eat the food there

Zweton is ok

Chocolat has its moments

They also had that awful buffet/costcutter place across the road from the Jasmine. The less said about that the better.

The only half decent chinese is China-Ki in Corbally and I hardly even go there anymore either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Exeggcute wrote: »

It's mostly muck.

How the Jasmine has its reputation is beyond me - its bog standard and the last time I was there the carpet was FILTHY

Zweton is ok

Chocolat has its moments

They also had that awful buffet/costcutter place across the road from the Jasmine. The less said about that the better.

The only half decent chinese is China-Ki in Corbally and I hardly even go there anymore either.

I was in wokking last weekend through no choice of my own. It was absolutely disgusting. Tasteless gloop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

I have a theory that the scraps/leftovers from Jasmine end up served again in Woking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,313 ✭✭✭✭phog

After a few false starts I eventually got to try La Cucina in town today for lunch, have to say I enjoyed it and no doubt but I'll be back.

Chocolat has to be amongst the worst dining experiences I've had in Limerick. Poorly trained staff, terrible food, really cheap with meat in the dishes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Exeggcute wrote: »

It's mostly muck.

Zweton is ok

Chocolat has its moments

I've always found Chinese cuisine in general to be of a far lower standard to the rest, e.g. thai, indian, italian etc. Well the muck that they slop out in this part of the world anyway. Far too sweet and sickly for my my liking with no depth of flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 John_2187

Don't know if this is the right place, but apparently there's a takeaway place in the Kildimo area of Limerick. It's the only one out here and I don't know what it's called! If anybody knows the name of it or a phone number could you please PM it to me? Thanks.

Advertisement