Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I've gone to the 'Old Firestation' on Thomas Street the last two days. It's a veggie place, and it's seriously good. Portion sizes are very generous and each of the mains seems to be 9.50 euro which is good value. I'll be going back here if they keep up the quality. Apparently the menu changes every week, which is quite a novel thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Looking forward to giving that place a spin.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Looking forward to giving that place a spin.

Get there early. The didn't have any Thai green curry left by the time I got there today. Had it yesterday and it was delicious though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

zulutango wrote: »
    I've gone to the 'Old Firestation' on Thomas Street the last two days. It's a veggie place, and it's seriously good. Portion sizes are very generous and each of the mains seems to be 9.50 euro which is good value. I'll be going back here if they keep up the quality. Apparently the menu changes every week, which is quite a novel thing to do.

Eaten there a good few times and it is undoubtedly my favourite place to eat in Limerick. Rally high quality, delicious and very friendly service. I just hope it stays open. there is always a concern of these types of places closing down in Limerick (aka Gasta)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭moby2101

John_2187 wrote: »
    Don't know if this is the right place, but apparently there's a takeaway place in the Kildimo area of Limerick. It's the only one out here and I don't know what it's called! If anybody knows the name of it or a phone number could you please PM it to me? Thanks.

Hi,
    I'm not aware of any takeaways in Kildimo, there is a Chinese takeaway in Pallaskenry just back the road

• Advertisement

Yeah, I concur. I think Gasta was missing a few beats though. It sold itself as a healthy alternative, but a lot of the food wasn't particularly healthy (sugary drinks, crisps, processed energy bars, etc). The sheer volume of packaging, coupled with plastic cutlery even when sitting in was very annoying too. Service wasn't great and the general environment wasn't particularly warm, clean or welcoming. I think these are all things that the Old Firestation seems to have got right. I see them as worlds apart. Not that it won't be a challenge for the OFS of course. It's a very difficult market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

See that Bubble tea cafe is closing down. The new fire station place opening probably didn't help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

See that Bubble tea cafe is closing down. The new fire station place opening probably didn't help them.

Used to be a haven for a lot of the vegetarians/vegans I know but apparently they started serving meat recently alongside their usual menu, so lots of people stopped going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭letsseehere14

I got a takeaway from the Old Town Asian Street Food spot just up from the Milk Market. Its there a few weeks is all I think. Must say it was very good. Decent menu, fast service and was tasty. Couldnt finish the portions given and the chips I got on the side (probably why i couldnt finish it) were nice quality, real potatoe ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

I decided to give Brimstone another visit. The restaurant itself is beautiful but the food and service were appalling both times I've been. Am I just unlucky or overly critical?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I've had a few meals in Brimstone and I can't fault it. .I found the food to be very good try the spare ribs I think there some of the best in the country. I find the place to be very relaxing.. post your update I'd love to know what other people think. I like the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Paudee wrote: »
    I decided to give Brimstone another visit. The restaurant itself is beautiful but the food and service were appalling both times I've been. Am I just unlucky or overly critical?

Overall I would say its a very good place. My only gripe would be with the portion sizes which can be a bit odd - huge starters and tiny main courses or vice-versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

I was in the newly positioned Subway in the Crescent today and while the food was grand (for a snack) I was annoyed to find that there are no toilet facilities there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

There is a new chipper in kildimo it's down the creamery road just across from slatterys had chips from there tonight and they were very good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Went to KFC last night as we were working late and it was too late/we were toolazy to cook. Hit KFC as it was nearby and we didn't know what we wanted. I had stomach cramps and nausea this morning and my better half was the same. The gravy was rotten stuff, the chips soggy and anaemic, the chicken tasteless. In short, all hail the chicken hut.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Is that new Nashville chicken in KFC here?

Harambe wrote: »
    Is that new Nashville chicken in KFC here?

It was on the menu. I didn't have it though. Thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

So disappointed to find Bindia is gone, a gorgeous Indian takeaway :(

Tried Spice of India takeaway Sunday and it was so full of oil it was gross.

Must try the Mogul Emperor! Copper and Spice is fab but expensive. Poppadom is fairly good food and very good value

I'm starving now......

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Dannymole22

Anyone tried Freshii yet?

Narsil wrote: »
    So disappointed to find Bindia is gone, a gorgeous Indian takeaway :(

Tried Spice of India takeaway Sunday and it was so full of oil it was gross.

Must try the Mogul Emperor! Copper and Spice is fab but expensive. Poppadom is fairly good food and very good value

I'm starving now......

Don't know why ther closed, there was always a steady stream coming and going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

I thought Bindia was extremely poor on the couple of occasions I sampled it.

Spice, on the other hand, is usually excellent.

All about opinions...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

AlanOB wrote: »
    I thought Bindia was extremely poor on the couple of occasions I sampled it.

Spice, on the other hand, is usually excellent.

All about opinions...

Agreed Bindia was not good, its predecessor Indira was very good, but Bindia was so bad that I went into the Mogul for an Indian even though I live around the corner from Bindia.

The only thing I ever had in there was their lamb seekh kebab and it was always good. Then again I never eat Indian so can't really comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Tried Adare 1826 last Friday night, great place and food was top notch. Although on the expensive side, there was 5 of us and the bill came to around €450 with 3 (maybe 4?!) bottles of wine.

Highly recommended for a treat.

Presumably you need to book well in advance? Wouldn't mind giving it a go.

Correct, we had our table booked well in advance, they only seem to have around 6-7 tables in the restaurant. Definately quality over quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Strettie11

If you want a particular date book well in advance. If you are willing to take a cancellation at short notice on any day say it to them they have done that for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

450 quid for a treat .............holy ****

Assuming all 5 of them had 3 courses each and 4 bottles of wine between them, it sounds ok. Not cheap by any means but not horribly expensive either.

• Advertisement

Yeah, alot of people would easily spend close to €100 on the beer some night, so why not at least pay the same for something that you will remember?

Advertisement