Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yeah there is a small seating area up there...stairs on the left as you go in

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Can anyone recommend a healthy restaurant in the city? i.e. somewhere you can get nice dishes minus the butter, fatty oils and sauces please. My eating out has been a downfall for me before when it comes to eating right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Can anyone recommend a healthy restaurant in the city? i.e. somewhere you can get nice dishes minus the butter, fatty oils and sauces please. My eating out has been a downfall for me before when it comes to eating right.

Firehouse on Thomas street is meant to be pretty good, vegan and vegitarian though so no meaaaaat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

davo2001 wrote: »
    Firehouse on Thomas street is meant to be pretty good, vegan and vegitarian though so no meaaaaat.

It's called The Old Firestation. I've gone there quite a few times now and I'm sold on it. The food is great.

Another healthy option would be Canteen on Mallow Street (soon to be moving to Catherine Street).

There's also The Grove on Cecil Street (vegetarian). It's good food.

All of the above are mostly open during working hours. If you're looking for evening meals, I'd suggest somewhere like La Cucina, Aroi or Lana maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

davo2001 wrote: »

Unimpressed. Menu at breakfast was extremely limited. Asian eggs (fried eggs with soya sauce and some chopped spring onions avec sodabread and dairy gold) or porridge oats.

Went back again in the evening and looked at the menu. Not healthy in my opinion just crappy food with no meat.

All style and no substance.

Buttery do a lovely vegetarian breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Went back again in the evening and looked at the menu. Not healthy in my opinion just crappy food with no meat.

All style and no substance.

That's one of the laziest reviews I've ever read in my life. Bravo, sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I gave you the recipe for their breakfast option that isn't porridge. How is that lazy? The only breakfast option that is any way substantial in a vegan/vegetarian restaurant is EGGS! With dairygold and a **** load of salty soy sauce to aid with my cardiovascular decline.

Where's the hummous, fried mushrooms? Where's the creativity?

In the evening I do not remember the menu exactly other than it was definitely not to my taste and, being health conscious, it did not seem to satisfy that criterion either.

The place is nicely decorated inside but I think the menu is very poor. They need a new chef.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm just wondering if anyone has heard if Boojum might be coming to Limerick in the near future. They're in Galway and Cork now and I love their mouth watering burritos. :)

What about burger places? Does Limerick have GBK/WowBurger/Bunsen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if anyone has heard if Boojum might be coming to Limerick in the near future. They're in Galway and Cork now and I love their mouth watering burritos. :)

What about burger places? Does Limerick have GBK/WowBurger/Bunsen?

The owner of bunsen was in limerick a few weeks ago outside the empty place beside la cucina on Henry street. You would just never know... don't know they guy but the person in my company did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Wouldn't have happened during the glorious reign of Mod Emperor An File (peace be upon him) and his Fileratti would it! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Wouldn't have happened during the glorious reign of Mod Emperor An File (peace be upon him) and his Fileratti would it! ;)

You didn't use his official title. Mod emperor, Peoples Choice Limerick Chronicle sexiest man 2010, An File.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Christ, was that seven years ago?! :eek:

I'm in the Curragower at the moment. Very very busy. My third time here in as many weeks, and it's been mobbed every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

The Mid-West remembers...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I'm in the Curragower at the moment. Very very busy. My third time here in as many weeks, and it's been mobbed every time.

Twas our work BBQ there last night, staff from Dublin and Limerick offices. We prob made up a lot of the crowd.

I wasnt there because i dont like people much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

dashoonage wrote:

BBQ trumps people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Chocolat service is plummetting fast. A group of us were in the other day for lunch and were waiting about 90 minutes to get our food. A few of the group eventually had to leave before getting their lunch as they couldn't wait any longer. Seems like there was far too few staff on. Anyone else notice this drop in service lately?

dashoonage wrote: »
    Twas our work BBQ there last night, staff from Dublin and Limerick offices. We prob made up a lot of the crowd.

That's a shame. We could've sparred in the bar while waiting for our food! (Try the monk fish sometime, it's awesome)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

I have to say I like the Curraghgower but find that the service is absolutely dire. Been there twice recently, it wasn't overly busy, but the service was useless.
    Hopefully this will be addressed....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Agree for the prices they charge and all there social media advertising
    Owner/Manager guy stocky fella that has a sour face who walks around doing nothing dosnt reflect good either

bigpink wrote:
    Agree for the prices they charge and all there social media advertising Owner/Manager guy stocky fella that has a sour face who walks around doing nothing dosnt reflect good either

Couldn't disagree more with that.

Yes there is often a long wait for tables in The Curraghower but it's worth the wait. The food is simply top quality and no more expensive than anywhere else in town. Service is always friendly and swift once you get seated. Aside from The old fire station and the odd badass burrito, the curraghower is the only place I'll eat in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

panda100 wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more with that.

Yes there is often a long wait for tables in The Curraghower but it's worth the wait. The food is simply top quality and no more expensive than anywhere else in town. Service is always friendly and swift once you get seated. Aside from The old fire station and the odd badass burrito, the curraghower is the only place I'll eat in town.

Agree with this. We're just living down the road so are in there regularly and I think the staff are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

L.T.P. wrote: »
    I have to say I like the Curraghgower but find that the service is absolutely dire. Been there twice recently, it wasn't overly busy, but the service was useless.
    Hopefully this will be addressed....

Have to say, I've never had an issue with the service in there, and I've eaten there quite regularly lately. Would agree with the other posters in saying that the grub is top notch too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Have to say, I've never had an issue with the service in there, and I've eaten there quite regularly lately. Would agree with the other posters in saying that the grub is top notch too

My only gripe with the place is the ridiculous size of the portions ... they're bloody enormous, but delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

+1 on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Hi lads, going for Dinner on Monday evening. Two out of the four of us are vegetarian, was keen on the Buttery but sadly there's little to no vegetarian options. All students aged 19-22 so not looking for anything extortionate either. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭shanmo

Hi lads, going for Dinner on Monday evening. Two out of the four of us are vegetarian, was keen on the Buttery but sadly there's little to no vegetarian options. All students aged 19-22 so not looking for anything extortionate either. Cheers.

The old firestation should be good but it's all vegetarian. Facebook page https://m.facebook.com/theoldfirestationrestaurantlimerick/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Three of us went to Tuscany recently. One of whom is vegetarian and she thought there was a good choice on the menu. They do an early bird until 6 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

shanmo wrote: »
    The old firestation should be good but it's all vegetarian. Facebook page https://m.facebook.com/theoldfirestationrestaurantlimerick/.

The Old Firestation is closed on Monday's I think.

I'd recommend Da Vincenzos or Taikichi - both have a vegan menu.

House is also a good option for vegetarians. They do small plates of really nice veggie options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mankteln

Looking to head out for an early bird tonight before the cinema? New to Limerick so only place I've tried so far has been to the cornstore. Kinda fancy something spicy (Indian/Chinese/Mexican?) But open to suggestions! Cheers

Advertisement