Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

mankteln wrote: »
    Looking to head out for an early bird tonight before the cinema? New to Limerick so only place I've tried so far has been to the cornstore. Kinda fancy something spicy (Indian/Chinese/Mexican?) But open to suggestions! Cheers

Aroi at the bottom of O'Connell street

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Aroi at the bottom of O'Connell street

Not great I believe these days.

OP have a look at the mogul emperor or spice of india. Both in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

OP if you go to the Mogul Emperor, and I'd suggest that you do because the food is fantastic, don't be put off by the decor, the dining room is firmly stuck at some point in the 70s/80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

La Picolla on O Connell St.

Was there a few weeks ago for an evening meal. Had to ring a doorbell to be let in, owner looked at her watch and sighed and we were shown to our table, waited 20 minutes for menus, were offered no drinks while waiting, ordered and 40 minutes later we received our starters which were very very poor, I got spinach soup which literally seemed to be spinach thrown in a blender, herself got the bruscetta which to be fair looked ok and she had no complaints, we both got carbonara for mains and it was the blandest meal I've gotten in a long long time. Expensive too considering how poor it was... Will not be returning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

zulutango wrote: »
    Think Spice of India closed down.

Where did you hear that?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Was there a few weeks ago for an evening meal. Had to ring a doorbell to be let in, owner looked at her watch and sighed and we were shown to our table, waited 20 minutes for menus, were offered no drinks while waiting, ordered and 40 minutes later we received our starters which were very very poor, I got spinach soup which literally seemed to be spinach thrown in a blender, herself got the bruscetta which to be fair looked ok and she had no complaints, we both got carbonara for mains and it was the blandest meal I've gotten in a long long time. Expensive too considering how poor it was... Will not be returning.

I've always said that I found the staff and food here horrible but some people seem to love it. I really can't understand why.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

h3000 wrote: »
    I've always said that I found the staff and food here horrible but some people seem to love it. I really can't understand why.

It's still in business though. Could it be that the people that complain about it are horrible? Seems the only logical explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Mc Love wrote: »
    It's still in business though. Could it be that the people that complain about it are horrible? Seems the only logical explanation.

Excuse me?

Excuse me?

You're excused

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Hey now. I'm always very polite wherever I go even if I don't get the same in return. I've only eaten there twice and it was awful both times. I have heard others complain about the exact same experience there too.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

What is it about restaurants that is so divisive? Review the forum charter, and think before you post.

Thanks

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

I've never had a good experience in there either. But some of my friends rave about it ..... ? Really odd. I've tried there maybe 5 times but meh!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've deleted some posts. Next off topic posters will be getting week long holidays from the Limerick forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

+1 for Mogul Emperor but I don't agree about Aroi. I eat there regularly and have never experienced a bad meal or poor service since the change in management about a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Went to the Hamtons a few weeks ago after a break of a few years.

Service and value for money were excellent.

3 people, 3 courses and a bottle of wine and it came to around €100.

Nothing too fancy, but recommended for a casual get together!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mankteln

Cheers lads, ended up just going for Camile as it's not far from the Odeon, will definitely give those Indians a go in the future though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Hi lads, going for Dinner on Monday evening. Two out of the four of us are vegetarian, was keen on the Buttery but sadly there's little to no vegetarian options. All students aged 19-22 so not looking for anything extortionate either. Cheers.
    Thanks for all of the suggestions lads, ended up going to Marco Polo. Great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭LMK

I was there with Family on a Tuesday evening, it wasn't the typical restaurant customer service style... seemed to be a lot of regulars outside of us, staff interactions with the customers they know was really natural and chatty, but we felt like we'd gatecrashed a little bit... Nice Pizza there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I was in the Grove today for lunch and had forgotten how simple and nice the food is there. My love affair with The Old Fire Station had eclipsed my memory of it! Though I thought the prices had gone up a lot. I was charged €10 for one nut burger and three small salads. Pretty pricey imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

LMK wrote: »
    I was there with Family on a Tuesday evening, it wasn't the typical restaurant customer service style... seemed to be a lot of regulars outside of us, staff interactions with the customers they know was really natural and chatty, but we felt like we'd gatecrashed a little bit... Nice Pizza there....

That is exactly why I have stopped going to La Piccola. For the regulars it must be the most welcoming restaurant ever but when you are not in the circle (which I have no desire to be in!), you totally feel like you are gatecrashing.

• Advertisement

Osk wrote: »
    For the regulars it must be the most welcoming restaurant ever but when you are not in the circle (which I have no desire to be in!), you totally feel like you are gatecrashing.

La Piccola's is like a sad reflection on the pervasive cliquishness of Limerick life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I'm not in the Piccola's circle and I've had some lovely meals there and always thought the service was very good.

panda100 wrote: »
    La Piccola's is like a sad reflection on the pervasive cliquishness of Limerick life

Its been the same staff for as many years as I can remember and if you go there regularly enough you get to know them, hardly clique-ish. They do tend to remember you and even ask how your kids are doing etc. Such a nice experience that doesnt happen in most places, it was like that too in LaCucina in Castletroy whenever Lorraine was behind the counter.

Good customer service, keeping your loyal customers happy.

Its been the same staff for as many years as I can remember and if you go there regularly enough you get to know them, hardly clique-ish. They do tend to remember you and even ask how your kids are doing etc. Such a nice experience that doesnt happen in most places, it was like that too in LaCucina in Castletroy whenever Lorraine was behind the counter.

Good customer service, keeping your loyal customers happy.

There is a way of keeping loyal customers happy without being dismissive to new customers. It's funny that you mention La Cucina as I think they are pretty similar to La Piccola in this regard. I haven't been back to La Cucina since before Christmas when the owner was very dismissive towards me and my friend, whom presumed we were tourists I suspect. Yet they lavished attention on a table of well known Limerick people beside us. Not into eating at that type of superficial place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

That's your perspective, but it doesn't mean it's accurate or reflective to be fair. I haven't a clue who the owners of La Cucina or La Piccola are and I would be fairly sure they haven't a notion who I am (nor should they), yet I've always been treated very well in both. It's a huge leap to say that these places are "a reflection on the pervasive cliquishness of Limerick life".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

panda100 wrote: »
    There is a way of keeping loyal customers happy without being dismissive to new customers. It's funny that you mention La Cucina as I think they are pretty similar to La Piccola in this regard. I haven't been back to La Cucina since before Christmas when the owner was very dismissive towards me and my friend, whom presumed we were tourists I suspect. Yet they lavished attention on a table of well known Limerick people beside us. Not into eating at that type of superficial place.

Afaik, they're run by the same family but I prefer La Cucina for their food and customer focus and I'm certainly not a regular or known by the owners/staff. I've had similar experiences at La Piccola to some of the recent posts on the restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Can't say a bad word about la piccola. Had my 30th there and everybody in my company commented on how good it was. Didn't notice us being treated any differently to any other customers.

I ate in the curragower last night. It was absolutely fantastic. I ate the special of a chicken fried steak which for the uninitiated like me was a steak breaded like a chicken fillet would be. It was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I go to La Piccola every couple of months. Love the food there and I'm always treated well and with a smile. My mother had a small issue with her scampi and they ended up comping her dessert. Can't say fairer than that....

zulutango wrote: »
    That's your perspective, but it doesn't mean it's accurate or reflective to be fair.

Yes of course it's only my own personal opinion, that's how these internet forums work :rolleyes: I guess its good to see that others have had positive experiences in La Cucina and La Piccolo. Maybe I will try them again at some stage in the future.

• Advertisement

I ate in the curragower last night. It was absolutely fantastic. I ate the special of a chicken fried steak which for the uninitiated like me was a steak breaded like a chicken fillet would be. It was amazing.

Was there last night too with my S&S - it was a fantastic meal. Had the sausage and black pudding scotch egg with a really tasty sauce. Had the Burger for mains and a sundae for dessert. Service was slow - took 30 mins for the first plate to be served, but they were busy.

Advertisement