Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

kfrp wrote: »
    Fantastic meal last night. The restaurant was full to capacity for the night. Arrived at 7PM and was greeted by the both the owners one of which is the chef.

The wine flowed all night with top ups anytime your glass was near empty. This was the course for the night with all the wines from the Brut to the white, to the two reds and dessrt wine. Not sure how many glasses we had it total but it was very plentiful :)

The food delicious and served as french fine dining with local Irish ingredients. The highlights for me were the duck croqette with fios Gras and the fillet of beef wellington with gratin. The beef was cooked perfectly and was melt in the mouth.

The chef also talked about the various foods and wines and the inspiration behind them.

Would really recommend attending one of these nights if you can or for a nice meal any evening.

The price can seem expensive but its really for eight courses with as much wine as you would want as the amuse bouch (Smoked trout with cavier, pulled pork bellini and some cured ham on a some bread) would have qualified as small starter and also the petit fours (A selection of homemade miniature pastries and chocolates).

Was rolled out of the restaurant at 11:00PM after eating and drinking for four hours!

It was also announced that The French table will also be opening a new takeaway pastry and coffee stand in the Castletroy shopping center and are renovating the restaurant as have purchased the premises after being tennents previously.

Wow, sounds amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

kfrp wrote: »
    Fantastic meal last night. The restaurant was full to capacity for the night. Arrived at 7PM and was greeted by the both the owners one of which is the chef.

The wine flowed all night with top ups anytime your glass was near empty. This was the course for the night with all the wines from the Brut to the white, to the two reds and dessrt wine. Not sure how many glasses we had it total but it was very plentiful :)

The food delicious and served as french fine dining with local Irish ingredients. The highlights for me were the duck croqette with fios Gras and the fillet of beef wellington with gratin. The beef was cooked perfectly and was melt in the mouth.

The chef also talked about the various foods and wines and the inspiration behind them.

Would really recommend attending one of these nights if you can or for a nice meal any evening.

The price can seem expensive but its really for eight courses with as much wine as you would want as the amuse bouch (Smoked trout with cavier, pulled pork bellini and some cured ham on a some bread) would have qualified as small starter and also the petit fours (A selection of homemade miniature pastries and chocolates).

Was rolled out of the restaurant at 11:00PM after eating and drinking for four hours!

It was also announced that The French table will also be opening a new takeaway pastry and coffee stand in the Castletroy shopping center and are renovating the restaurant as have purchased the premises after being tennents previously.

Great to hear such a positive review. I was there recently for the first time and loved it. Food, wine, service - all excellent. Interesting that they have bought the premises down there, not sure it's the most attractive of locations, but I couldn't fault the decor of the restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Great to hear such a positive review. I was there recently for the first time and loved it. Food, wine, service - all excellent. Interesting that they have bought the premises down there, not sure it's the most attractive of locations, but I couldn't fault the decor of the restaurant.

Love the French Table and glad to hear that they are doing so well that they can purchase the premises and expand. Surprised they are moving into Castletroy SC, there's a lot of competition for coffee with Starbucks, H&L and Bella Italia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Ooh that's great news. I really think The French Table is one of the most underrated restaurants in Limerick. We go there for our Christmas party every year. There's usually about 60 of us, many wheelchair users, others with various physical disabilities and generally a pretty rowdy bunch! Between us all I say we are a right handful to look after but the French Table always bends over backwards to accommodate everyone and the food is top quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

It would be a great spot if they picked a better location, not exactly the most safe and welcoming part of the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

steamboat quay ? fairly safe i thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

fryup wrote: »

Yeah it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

fryup wrote: »

Fairly, but some of the surrounding apartment blocks have got dodgy over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I had to collect something from steamboat quay a few months ago, it's a place I'd never live. Dodgy doesn't even begin to cover it.

I had to collect something from steamboat quay a few months ago, it's a place I'd never live. Dodgy doesn't even begin to cover it.

Yeah, it's such a shame, that area was one of THE places to rent in the inner-city a few years back and held much promise.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's such a shame, that area was one of THE places to rent in the inner-city a few years back and held much promise.

It's foreigner central now. It's intimidating going in and out of there. Turns out the thing I bought there was robbed too..

It's foreigner central now. It's intimidating going in and out of there. Turns out the thing I bought there was robbed too..

To me it's just scumbag central, regardless of nationality. Obviously, like most places, decent folk live there too.

It's the last I'll add to this topic as this is not what the thread is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Just wanted to put a good word in for the new Thai restaurant Zo Zabb that has gone in above the Glen tavern. Was there Saturday night and they do a brilliant deal of 3courses(Starter main with wine or soft drink and tea or coffee) 16.95 or 4courses 18.95. Food and service was fantastic. It was really quiet in there so I would love if people tried it. A few of my favourite places have closed over the last few years so I would like to see this place do well. definitely worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

yogalady wrote: »
    Just wanted to put a good word in for the new Thai restaurant Zo Zabb that has gone in above the Glen tavern. Was there Saturday night and they do a brilliant deal of 3courses(Starter main with wine or soft drink and tea or coffee) 16.95 or 4courses 18.95. Food and service was fantastic. It was really quiet in there so I would love if people tried it. A few of my favourite places have closed over the last few years so I would like to see this place do well. definitely worth a try

Is Khing Thai gone?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

+1 for Zo Zabb was there for lunch today and had the lunch deal, starter, main, sweet (no choice) and tea coffee or soft drink for 10 euro.
    it was fab, my first time there and really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

angeldaisy wrote: »
    +1 for Zo Zabb was there for lunch today and had the lunch deal, starter, main, sweet (no choice) and tea coffee or soft drink for 10 euro.
    it was fab, my first time there and really enjoyed it.

Eating there nearly saves you money at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

So I tried my first Spice bag while out in Nenagh over the weekend ....... where does one buy such a wondrous thing in Limerick ?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

jonski wrote: »
    So I tried my first Spice bag while out in Nenagh over the weekend ....... where does one buy such a wondrous thing in Limerick ?

Pagoda in Castletroy do a lovely spice box :D

I see the green yard cafe are now open late thurs through Sunday. Interesting, wonder how late that would be, be nice to go for a few glasses of wine instead of a pub for a change.

I see the green yard cafe are now open late thurs through Sunday. Interesting, wonder how late that would be, be nice to go for a few glasses of wine instead of a pub for a change.

I was there over the weekend. Standards have slipped quite a bit I must say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Chinise across fro limerick train station besides ladbrokes do them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Peony Court at Punch's Cross is a decent spot for it apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Peony Court at Punch's Cross is a decent spot for it apparently.

Spice Bag/box ? , I just had a look at their menu there and couldn't see it on it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Spice Bag/box ? , I just had a look at their menu there and couldn't see it on it .
    I'm fairly sure a friend of mine got one from there, either there or the Dragon Phoenix. Will find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

Beijing's spice bag is a good shout. Across from donkey fords!

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

I'm fairly sure a friend of mine got one from there, either there or the Dragon Phoenix. Will find out.

I’ve lived in the area for years and I’ve never once set foot in the Dragon Phoenix nor have I ever met anyone who has. I’ve often wondered how it’s kept it’s doors open! What’s the food like??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I was there over the weekend. Standards have slipped quite a bit I must say.

Oh really why?

bigpink wrote: »
    Oh really why?

We had lunch at the weekend. Cold soup, a tasteles thrown together burger, stale bread on my sharing board and the toddlers cod gougons were barely up to Captain Birdseyes standards. I made my opinion known when paying. No point in giving out here if Im not willing to back it up.

We had lunch at the weekend. Cold soup, a tasteles thrown together burger, stale bread on my sharing board and the toddlers cod gougons were barely up to Captain Birdseyes standards. I made my opinion known when paying. No point in giving out here if Im not willing to back it up.

Fair play. I always shy away from complaining even if I'm extremely dissatisfied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Tim76 wrote: »
    I’ve lived in the area for years and I’ve never once set foot in the Dragon Phoenix nor have I ever met anyone who has. I’ve often wondered how it’s kept it’s doors open! What’s the food like??

Food is pretty standard Chinese takeaway food tbh. I like it though as it's cheap and close by.

Advertisement