Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

I always assumed it was a front for "other dealings" never anyone in the place and no one says anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

I would highly recommend ZoZabbs Thai Bistro for anyone who hasn't been. Their head chef use to work in Bamboo, which explains why they have the best damn freshly made springrolls in the world.

We had the €10 lunch deal today and it was great, can't be beaten. Starter, main, can and even a mini dessert type thing, all on the same plate with 4 bowl style containers. Right up there with Bamboo's lunch special.

In the few times I have been to ZoZabbs it's beeen great. I preferred the red curry when it was Khing Thai but other than that really great food.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

davo2001 wrote: »
    I always assumed it was a front for "other dealings" never anyone in the place and no one says anything about it.

I’d say you’re watching too much TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

That Ramen place inside in the Crescent is great. Real bang for your buck for only €12 and getting to fill your own cone is a nice touch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Went to Zo Zabb after reading the positive reviews here, had a great meal. Very generous portions, and the service was exceptional. Only fault would be the lack of variety on the mains in the set-menu. It's a shame to see it almost empty, hopefully it picks up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Tried Freddy's for the first time since I've returned to Limerick and I found it pretty overrated, at least for what I got.

The duck had a weird texture and color, and was far from tender. The dessert was really good, but I still found it overpriced and overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Tried Freddy's for the first time since I've returned to Limerick and I found it pretty overrated, at least for what I got.

The duck had a weird texture and color, and was far from tender. The dessert was really good, but I still found it overpriced and overrated.

Have to say that we felt the same

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Same every time I go to Freddy’s..

Always found cornstore to be a significant step above!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Same every time I go to Freddy’s..

Always found cornstore to be a significant step above!
    I have had the exact opposite experience won't go back to the cornmarket again food is always a let down. Steak in freddys which I won't lie is all I usually have is one of the best in the city.

Also nutty pancake yes I know it's simple but I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Jaysus, talk about different strokes. I wouldn't have the Cornstore anywhere near Freddy's level.

• Advertisement

sioda wrote: »
    I have had the exact opposite experience won't go back to the cornmarket again food is always a let down. Steak in freddys which I won't lie is all I usually have is one of the best in the city.

Fair comment, and I've just been to Freddy's once so all I can comment on is the duck.

One thing I will give Freddy's is the menu is smallish (a good thing in my experience), and also isn't needlessly spread out over 4+ pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

The Treasury has been a loss to the city imo. Head chef now working in Plassey house in UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

Unfortunately i think Freddys are trading on past glory. Havent been impressed over the last year like i was previously.

I love the French Table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Last time I was at Freddys, I found it exceptionally good. Although, admittedly, that was over 2 years ago! So, based on feedback here, it appears standards have dropped somewhat. I'm due to go there next week so I will judge for myself then. I would agree with the previous poster in that The Treasury is sorely missed, I really think there is a market in Limerick for another "fancy"/top-end restaurant.

I've been to Freddys twice in the last few months and found it very average to be honest. Had mussells to start and they were tiny, had been frozen and were overcooked, had steak for main and it was fine, nothing to write home about.

I was in the Mustard Seed a few years ago and found it exceptional. Heading back next week for there Pig Town Dinner event and expecting a good evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Last time I was at Freddys, I found it exceptionally good. Although, admittedly, that was over 2 years ago! So, based on feedback here, it appears standards have dropped somewhat. I'm due to go there next week so I will judge for myself then. I would agree with the previous poster in that The Treasury is sorely missed, I really think there is a market in Limerick for another "fancy"/top-end restaurant.

Maybe not city center but 1826 in Adare is a top-end restaurant

Mc Love wrote: »
    Maybe not city center but 1826 in Adare is a top-end restaurant

Yes, I was there a few months ago and it was fantastic. For people whom haven't been there, you have to book ahead, you would never get a table if you just walk in.

It's on the expensive side, it cost us around €600 for 5 people with a few bottles of wine but definately worth it if you're looking for a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

+1 for 1826

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Yes, I was there a few months ago and it was fantastic. For people whom haven't been there, you have to book ahead, you would never get a table if you just walk in.

It's on the expensive side, it cost us around €600 for 5 people with a few bottles of wine but definately worth it if you're looking for a treat.

You’ll be scaring people away with those prices, ye must have drunk an awful lot of wine, I’d say 70 Euro a head including wine would be more typical, it’s a fantastic restaurant, well worth a spin out of town for.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Would have to agree about Freddys. Always found it overrated.
    In saying that I know loads of people who love it.
    I would class the likes of The French Table, 1826 and even Azur above Freddys.
    Im yet to try the Mustard Seed but am dying to!
    The Treasury is a loss but an even greater loss is The Market Square Brasserie which was in the same building years previous.
    My all time favourite restaurant in the city, ever!

• Advertisement

Was going to try the new Speedo Pizza on Edward Street but I got lazy and resorted to the reliable Luigi's :D Will try and get there soon.

Was going to try the new Speedo Pizza on Edward Street but I got lazy and resorted to the reliable Luigi's :D Will try and get there soon.

Out of all jokes, what's the best chipper in town?

I always loved the Golden Grill on William Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Enzo's for me.

Here's an obscure one, Tasty Bite's in Dromcollogher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Again a bit out of town but the best chipper has to be McAris in Newtown, Annacotty.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Haha, I was thinking the same thing!

I can't count the amount of places I've seen come & go over the years and this place just seems to keep on going with no customers :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

h3000 wrote: »
    Again a bit out of town but the best chipper has to be McAris in Newtown, Annacotty.

I got food out of there last night, great chips! I wouldn't say its the best chipper though! RIO's in Castletroy is far superior...Enzo's is also great!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I got food out of there last night, great chips! I wouldn't say its the best chipper though! RIO's in Castletroy is far superior...Enzo's is also great!
    I haven't eat in Enzo's in a long time but it was always good. I much prefer McAris to Rio's though.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

h3000 wrote: »
    I haven't eat in Enzo's in a long time but it was always good. I much prefer McAris to Rio's though.

I'm not mad about chipper chips unless they're dead crispy, end of the bag ones but I had Enzos for the first time recently and thought they were very good. Only living in Limerick 11 years ans I finally got around to going in.

• Advertisement

Luigi’s opposite Colbert Station as well.

But depending on the time of day...

Advertisement