Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Went to Lana on O'Connell St. tonight, nice grub. The Indonesian lamb curry was delish

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Will be in town on Friday afternoon and looking for somewhere nice to go for a pre-Christmas/birthday lunch with the missus.

We haven't been out in town in yonks so feel a bit out of touch :confused:

Would House fit the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Will be in town on Friday afternoon and looking for somewhere nice to go for a pre-Christmas/birthday lunch with the missus.

House would definitely be good for birthday lunch. There's also a new nightclub opening up there on Friday so ye could check that out as well if ye're hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Curragower or House & LaCucina Centro, do really good food

Check out the Cornstore as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Eaten in House a number of times, always a good experience

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I was overnight in town for the rugby last Sat. and awoke feeling a bit shook :D

Was in town so went to Centra William St. for a breakfast roll and a coffee. It was fine but cost €6.50.

That's a bit saucy imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

Freshii

Kind of small healthy eating cafe, they do wrap's, salad bowls, burritos, and noodles. All made freshly and you can choose veg, falafal, beef, tuna or chicken in most options.
    I had what they called a Kao San Burrito with falafal, was €5.95. Full of fresh veg, salads and tasty rice, light falafal and a nice peanutty sauce, also have Siracha at every table which is tasty stuff!
    Worth going to if you feel like somethig healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

kfrp wrote: »
    Freshii

Kind of small healthy eating cafe, they do wrap's, salad bowls, burritos, and noodles. All made freshly and you can choose veg, falafal, beef, tuna or chicken in most options.
    I had what they called a Kao San Burrito with falafal, was €5.95. Full of fresh veg, salads and tasty rice, light falafal and a nice peanutty sauce, also have Siracha at every table which is tasty stuff!
    Worth going to if you feel like somethig healthy.

I like their food. As you say if you feel like something healthy, it is spot on.
    Was in the jasmine on Saturday, what a fall from grace. Used to be the place to go but has been left behind by some other places. Average at best Chinese food. Was really disappointed, used to be a great option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I was in Collins pub in Dooradoyle last week. I always find it a bit hit and miss but it seems to have really gone down hill again. Very limited bar menu (as in not too many things on it) and I thought the carvery didn't look the best. I had a sandwich (nothing exciting) with skinny chips (overcooked) and my friend who had the carvery said it wasn't great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Always thought the Jasmine was an overrated dump. Basically the Wokking with fancier decor.

All that restaurant groups food is overrated crap - Wokking, Jasmin, Chocolat, Marco Polo, Ze We Ton etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Always thought the Jasmine was an overrated dump. Basically the Wokking with fancier decor.

All that restaurant groups food is overrated crap - Wokking, Jasmin, Chocolat, Marco Polo, Ze We Ton etc

I've never been to the Jasmine and have no real desire to go but I would totally agree about the other restaurants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

After Saturday, I have to agree.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've never had a bad meal/experience in Ze-We-Ton. It won't win any awards, but it's not "crap" either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

I've never had a bad meal/experience in Ze-We-Ton. It won't win any awards, but it's not "crap" either.

Correct, the microwaves they use for cooking / reheating the food are top notch! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

davo2001 wrote: »
    Correct, the microwaves they use for cooking / reheating the food are top notch! :rolleyes:
    Is this a fact ? They microwave their food ?
    Very difficult get crispy food from microwave - eg Peppercorn prawns - they would be soggy surely ? :rolleyes:

Is this a fact ? They microwave their food ?
    Very difficult get crispy food from microwave - eg Peppercorn prawns - they would be soggy surely ? :rolleyes:

Well, I can only speak from personal experience, anytime i've eaten in their the food I received was definitely microwaved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Just to give some feedback on this...

Ended up going to House in the end alright - it was my first time setting foot in the place...virtually unrecognisable from the old Clohessys.

We were initially given a table in the quasi-outside bit at the front, but asked to move as it was pretty chilly and were then shown to a much cosier table up the back.

Anyway, the food was grand - we shared a gimungus portion of chicken wings to start, I had the fish and chips which was tasty and my missus had the pasta special which was ok.

Reasonably priced and decent quality without being spectacular. I would happily recommend it based on my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Zweton is awful , I used to go there the whole time a few years back what ever happened the drop in quality is massive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭w4ntedman

Anyone had anything from The Turkmen Grill on Parnell St. ? First time was OK nothing too special but fine. Second time (and last) - ordered grill special- arrived with (not much) meat and bread only. Rang them to ask about the (advertised as included) salad and sauce- at first she said I should have specified that I wanted salad and sauce. Then passed onto someone else who agreed to send them on but of course by that time meat was cold. I appreciate that mistakes happen and probably wouldn't bother with rant but for the attitude when I rang. Sending a new dish with fresh meat would have placated me making the dish edible ( I have worked in service jobs and get that things go wrong and people ringing to complain is a nuisance but ffs own the problem).

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Burlap_Sack

w4ntedman wrote: »
    Anyone had anything from The Turkmen Grill on Parnell St. ? First time was OK nothing too special but fine. Second time (and last) - ordered grill special- arrived with (not much) meat and bread only. Rang them to ask about the (advertised as included) salad and sauce- at first she said I should have specified that I wanted salad and sauce. Then passed onto someone else who agreed to send them on but of course by that time meat was cold. I appreciate that mistakes happen and probably wouldn't bother with rant but for the attitude when I rang. Sending a new dish with fresh meat would have placated me making the dish edible ( I have worked in service jobs and get that things go wrong and people ringing to complain is a nuisance but ffs own the problem).

Exact same experience with this place, no sauce with the kebab and when I rang they said they'd give me 10% off next order, I said what good is that and eventually he agreed to send the driver back with sauce but it was pointless at that stage. Won't be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Zweton is awful , I used to go there the whole time a few years back what ever happened the drop in quality is massive.

I'd never say it's awful. There's definitely a dip in quality though.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭w4ntedman

Not just a one off with me then Burlap Sack (Turkmen stricken from the list) too many decent places in town to be dealing with that nonsense

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

w4ntedman wrote: »

Another dodgy kebab shop lol

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Whats happened to Aroi? It used to be quite nice but its awful now, I've been twice in the last few months but that standard is dreadful, safe to say i wont be going back.

damowill wrote: »
    Whats happened to Aroi? It used to be quite nice but its awful now, I've been twice in the last few months but that standard is dreadful, safe to say i wont be going back.

The original owners sold it to a different crowd a couple of years ago. It then went from a very good asian street food place to just another run of the mill ****e bland eat in / takeaway place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

The original owners sold it to a different crowd a couple of years ago. It then went from a very good asian street food place to just another run of the mill ****e bland eat in / takeaway place.

They are runnimg a place in Mallow now. My pal lives there and raves about their new spot.

Lana on O’Connell St. is better, not out of this world, but still decent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

That's not exactly the story.
    The original couple that were running it didn't own it. They are a huge loss, the food there for the first year it was open was unbelievable.

Advertisement