Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Any word on an opening date in Boojum? Seems to be taking forever!
    Gas only being installed today so could be a bit yet

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

sioda wrote: »
    Gas only being installed today so could be a bit yet

ya id imagine seen as this used to be a bank that there is a fair bit of work to be done to fit out a kitchen and restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Any word on an opening date in Boojum? Seems to be taking forever!

Hope its not the same boojum that had a closure order in Dublin from the food safety authority!

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.fsai.ie/uploadedFiles/Monitoring_and_Enforcement/Enforcement/Enforcement-Orders-Closure.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwj2yY2mzsHYAhXMCMAKHbl4DdwQFgglMAA&usg=AOvVaw1T_bqWqjMw-VHaCc_dCt-6

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

ABEasy wrote: »

Boojum have a few places around the country, this one was a stall/pop up place.

There shops are for the most part very clean with lovely food!

This one also reopened 2 days later.

You assume they are!! The fact one of their places was served with closure order from the FSAI is enough for me to avoid the place, not worth the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Tonight brought me to the french table. James Bond Senior celebrates his birthday today so we said we would take him somewhere nice. 3 course set menu is only €29 with a decent selection so we all ordered from that. Patê was good, french onion soup was ok, overall starters were good but not mindblowing.

Mains next, 3 hakes and a creamy gooey cheesy potato dish of french deliciousness came next. Fantastic stuff.

Desert naturally followed, now I am not a desert person but the choc mousse was simply spectacular. A creme bruleè was also ordered and it got a firm thumbs up. All in all a very very very good meal and a not too harsh bill at the end.

You assume they are!! The fact one of their places was served with closure order from the FSAI is enough for me to avoid the place, not worth the risk.

I'd imagine you haven't stept foot in a Centra since last summer either ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Tonight brought me to the french table. James Bond Senior celebrates his birthday today so we said we would take him somewhere nice. 3 course set menu is only €29 with a decent selection so we all ordered from that. Patê was good, french onion soup was ok, overall starters were good but not mindblowing.

Mains next, 3 hakes and a creamy gooey cheesy potato dish of french deliciousness came next. Fantastic stuff.

Desert naturally followed, now I am not a desert person but the choc mousse was simply spectacular. A creme bruleè was also ordered and it got a firm thumbs up. All in all a very very very good meal and a not too harsh bill at the end.

Although it's quite popular, I get the impression that The French Table is slightly underrated. Amongst colleagues/friends, it never gets mentioned as often as The Cornstore/Freddies/Hamptons, but I find it to be excellent, and I'm constantly recommending it to people. Maybe it has something to do with the location, as it's slightly further out from the city centre, but I just think it doesn't get the recognition it merits sometimes.

Although it's quite popular, I get the impression that The French Table is slightly underrated. Amongst colleagues/friends, it never gets mentioned as often as The Cornstore/Freddies/Hamptons, but I find it to be excellent, and I'm constantly recommending it to people. Maybe it has something to do with the location, as it's slightly further out from the city centre, but I just think it doesn't get the recognition it merits sometimes.

Funnily enough we said at the table that it was far nicer than Cornstore yet it was less than half full. I know it is possibly the worst time of year for a restaurant to fill but it was very quiet all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

A lot to do with location I think, only there once, really enjoyed it but it's streets ahead of Hamptons & Cornstore

• Advertisement

It wasn't one of their shops though? It was a pop up franchise stall.

But fair.. guessing you're avoiding all centras and most kebab places in the town too?

bennyl10 wrote: »
    It wasn't one of their shops though? It was a pop up franchise stall.

But fair.. guessing you're avoiding all centras and most kebab places in the town too?

Are you sure it was a franchise, because their own website says they aren't franchised!

http://www.boojummex.com/mobile/index.php?pid=whoweare

The comparison to centra's previously is ingenuous as centras are independently owned, bojum, per their website are all owned by the same owners.

And yes, I don't eat in any kebab place nor will I.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Hi all,

Anyone know of / can recommend a Sunday lunch venue that caters for vegetarians? I have tried looking at some of the usual suspects (e.g. The Locke Bar's menus aren't loading properly today, Bobby Byrne's, The Strand).

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Lol you must find it really difficult to eat out then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

lockman wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anyone know of / can recommend a Sunday lunch venue that caters for vegetarians? I have tried looking at some of the usual suspects (e.g. The Locke Bar's menus aren't loading properly today, Bobby Byrne's, The Strand).

Thanks in advance.

Da Vincenzos has a vegan menu and lots of veggie options. Taikichi also have a vegan menu.

The Old Fire station I think its called gets great reviews on here. On Thomas street. Our regular panda100 will fill you in when she sees this.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

lockman wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Indian Restaurants tend to have a good deal of vegetarian options. I’m not talking the meat dishes without the meat. Actual veggie options.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Anyone been to Volcano Wings yet?

So, made it in at the weekend.

Just went for a single portion of buffalo as this is the measure of any wing place. Have to to say i enjoyed them, very tasty sauce and a nice crunch to the wings. Not bad value either at €6.95 for a portion of 12. They also have a 2 portions for a tenner deal if you bring the other half or your wing-man (i'll get my coat).

Only gripes would be that the wings are a bit on the small side and they serve the buffalo wings with garlic dip instead of blue cheese. Also they are missing a trick by not serving beer, it could become a popular spot to start (or break up) a night out if they did.

Anyway, will be back again - next time for the Lava Wings!:eek:

Are you sure it was a franchise, because their own website says they aren't franchised!

http://www.boojummex.com/mobile/index.php?pid=whoweare

The comparison to centra's previously is ingenuous as centras are independently owned, bojum, per their website are all owned by the same owners.

And yes, I don't eat in any kebab place nor will I.

The old website, they're now owned by two lads from Belfast and afaik are franchised..

I could be wrong though!

You're missing out on kebabs too, there's some lovely places in town!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Made it to the French Table a few days ago for the first time. It really lived up to the reviews on this thread. Pricey enough but you'd expect that for a good meal. I'd rate it above the Cornstore, Freddy's and Hamptons, easily.

• Advertisement

Tim76 wrote: »
    So, made it in at the weekend.

Just went for a single portion of buffalo as this is the measure of any wing place. Have to to say i enjoyed them, very tasty sauce and a nice crunch to the wings. Not bad value either at €6.95 for a portion of 12. They also have a 2 portions for a tenner deal if you bring the other half or your wing-man (i'll get my coat).

Only gripes would be that the wings are a bit on the small side and they serve the buffalo wings with garlic dip instead of blue cheese. Also they are missing a trick by not serving beer, it could become a popular spot to start (or break up) a night out if they did.

Anyway, will be back again - next time for the Lava Wings!:eek:

Nice one. Will make it a mission to make it in over the next few weeks. Loves my chicken so I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Went to the bar in the Longcourt House Hotel in Newcastle West for dinner lately, nothing to write home about.
    Average enough price at around €13 for a main course, I had a Turkey and Ham dinner, it's not bad but it's not amazing either. It's just fine and I've heard the exact same reports from others.
    Was talking to someone tonight who said he heard that the Chef has come out to people sending back food and told them where to go. Whether that's a once-off or a reoccurring thing, I don't know.
    I haven't been to the restaurant yet so I can't judge.

Went to the bar in the Longcourt House Hotel in Newcastle West for dinner lately, nothing to write home about.
    Average enough price at around €13 for a main course, I had a Turkey and Ham dinner, it's not bad but it's not amazing either. It's just fine and I've heard the exact same reports from others.
    Was talking to someone tonight who said he heard that the Chef has come out to people sending back food and told them where to go. Whether that's a once-off or a reoccurring thing, I don't know.
    I haven't been to the restaurant yet so I can't judge.

I teach out that way and some of my pupils tell me it isn't great. If small people eating nugget and chips think it's not great, thing's seem ominous.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭shanmo

bennyl10 wrote: »
    The old website, they're now owned by two lads from Belfast and afaik are franchised..

I could be wrong though!

You're missing out on kebabs too, there's some lovely places in town!

Where are these nice kebab places you're referring to? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

Nearly time for Boojum to open! Is it Friday or Saturday it's opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

toodleytoo wrote: »

Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

davo2001 wrote: »
    Friday.

Poor Mags in Badass won't be happy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

toodleytoo wrote: »

Friday (tomorrow)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

The Old Fire station I think its called gets great reviews on here. On Thomas street. Our regular panda100 will fill you in when she sees this.

It's only taken me a month to see this :pac: Huge fan of The OFS and eat in their regularly. Unfortunately it is not open on a Sunday though. La Cucina and Da Vicenzo would probably be good veggie options on a Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

panda100 wrote: »
    It's only taken me a month to see this :pac: Huge fan of The OFS and eat in their regularly. Unfortunately it is not open on a Sunday though. La Cucina and Da Vicenzo would probably be good veggie options on a Sunday.

Was going to ask about that. Passed there yesterday after been in the Still House for the Liverpool v Spurs match and the place was closed.

Advertisement