Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Does anyone else find Canteen to be a bit expensive? Whilst I find the food good and the coffee is great, I can't help but feel it is a bit over-priced. I came in this morning for breakfast - a coffee and a sourdough sandwich (2 pieces of bread, creamed cheese and one slice of bacon), which cost €9.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Does anyone else find Canteen to be a bit expensive? Whilst I find the food good and the coffee is great, I can't help but feel it is a bit over-priced. I came in this morning for breakfast - a coffee and a sourdough sandwich (2 pieces of bread, creamed cheese and one slice of bacon), which cost €9.

Well your sandwich was 4.50 according to the website so was it 4.50 for a coffee?????:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Canteen is pricey alright. To be fair though, it's a cut above most places in terms of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

yeah its ridiculously over expensive as is the off shoot on Mallow St. The coffee is good but its not worth paying that much when arrabica/lacucina do just as good coffee for over a euro cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Went to the bar in the Longcourt House Hotel in Newcastle West for dinner lately, nothing to write home about.
    Average enough price at around €13 for a main course, I had a Turkey and Ham dinner, it's not bad but it's not amazing either. It's just fine and I've heard the exact same reports from others.
    Was talking to someone tonight who said he heard that the Chef has come out to people sending back food and told them where to go. Whether that's a once-off or a reoccurring thing, I don't know.
    I haven't been to the restaurant yet so I can't judge.

We were there over the Xmas and said we’d chance it. We both had the turkey and ham and the kids had nuggets and chips.
    Food was delicious and staff were excellent.
    I’d be disappointed with what you said as i had recommended it to the in laws. And if a chef actually came out and spoke to customers like that he should be fired on the spot.

• Advertisement

pajoguy wrote:
    Well your sandwich was 4.50 according to the website so was it 4.50 for a coffee?????

Never occured to me at the time, but I could have been overcharged by accident. I didn't take any notice of the price of the sandwich tbh, but coffee is usually 3 quid in there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Never been to Canteen but heard it’s mad expensive

bigpink wrote: »
    Never been to Canteen but heard it’s mad expensive

No, not mad expensive. For 10 euro you get soup, a wrap and a cup of coffee. That's not too bad considering it's quality produce.

If you like eating healthily then it's worth paying the bit extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭geotrig

whats healty about the coffee and wrap ?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭geotrig

zulutango wrote: »
    If you like eating healthily then it's worth paying the bit extra.
    if you want to eat healthy make it yourself !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

You can't get a pot of tea and you're tea/coffee comes in a disposable cup :mad:

phog wrote: »
    You can't get a pot of tea and you're tea/coffee comes in a disposable cup :mad:

That's not the end of the world, to be fair.

zulutango wrote: »
    That's not the end of the world, to be fair.

I never said it was but they're charging top notch prices and serving tea/coffee in a takeaway cup.

Imho, other cafes are serving as good in quality food, cheaper and in crockery.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I never said it was but they're charging top notch prices and serving tea/coffee in a takeaway cup.

Imho, other cafes are serving as good in quality food, cheaper and in crockery.

Any examples? Always looking for good places to try for lunch etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Had an experience today in Lana on O'Connell Street and not sure to believe them or if I'm being cynical.

Two of us went in for lunch. Got our main course and my wife got the attention of a waiter and asked if we could get some tap water. He went away and came back with a glass bottle of water (had a small sticker saying Purezza or something similar, with a loose cap, didn't appear to be supplied by a third party, similar to a reusable bottle you get in the Cornstore for instance). My wife asked him if that was tap water and he smiled and gave it to us.

When we went to pay the bill was €1 higher than we thought it would be and queried it. The staff member told us that was for the water. When we said we didn't expect to be charged for tap water, they said they cannot give out tap water at the moment as the council supply is contaminated and this was filtered water from a filtration system they recently spent thousands on due to the issue.

Anyway we refused to pay as we argued this was not made clear to us at the time and they agreed not to charge us. I suggested they should push back on the council and withhold their rates rather than spending thousands on fixing what the council should be supplying. As we were preparing to leave others were querying the charge too.

Now it might just be a euro I'm talking about but is there a major issue with the city centre water supply or are they just doing some sleight of hand to make some extra money? I'm suspicious and not inclined to go back again if they are chancing their arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭shanmo

Had an experience today in Lana on O'Connell Street and not sure to believe them or if I'm being cynical.

Two of us went in for lunch. Got our main course and my wife got the attention of a waiter and asked if we could get some tap water. He went away and came back with a glass bottle of water (had a small sticker saying Purezza or something similar, with a loose cap, didn't appear to be supplied by a third party, similar to a reusable bottle you get in the Cornstore for instance). My wife asked him if that was tap water and he smiled and gave it to us.

When we went to pay the bill was €1 higher than we thought it would be and queried it. The staff member told us that was for the water. When we said we didn't expect to be charged for tap water, they said they cannot give out tap water at the moment as the council supply is contaminated and this was filtered water from a filtration system they recently spent thousands on due to the issue.

Anyway we refused to pay as we argued this was not made clear to us at the time and they agreed not to charge us. I suggested they should push back on the council and withhold their rates rather than spending thousands on fixing what the council should be supplying. As we were preparing to leave others were querying the charge too.

Now it might just be a euro I'm talking about but is there a major issue with the city centre water supply or are they just doing some sleight of hand to make some extra money? I'm suspicious and not inclined to go back again if they are chancing their arm.

When I last went to Lana, I asked for a jug of water as I normally did only to be told that I would have to buy a bottle and could choose between still or sparkling . The waitress then pointed to a little stand up card on the table which detailed the water; refillable, glass bottle, filtered water, 750ml , €1 etc. My dining companion and I agreed to this.
    when our bottle was empty it was automatically refilled, thus we assumed it must be €1 including refills and it was as we were only charged the €1.

While at first we were a bit miffed when we realised it was refilled for free and given that it tasted far better than you the usual tsp water we both agreed we would happily pay a €1 for better water. It's far cheaper than what every other restaurant charges for a smaller bottle. However, I believe the diner should still have a choice.

In your case however, they were wrong to serve it to you without making you aware of the charge and the fact they didn't surprises me, especially with the cards on the table.
    The water is filtered as I seen the system.

What this has left me questioning is if the water coming out of my tap is safe! If they're telling the truth about the quality of the water then surely city centre residents should have been advised about the contamination also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Yeah I wouldn't have minded at all if they approached things the way they did with you, we would probably have went with our preference of sparkling water when paying for it.

Maybe they are telling the truth regarding the water. I haven't heard anything about water problems in the city centre but then again I'm living out the country. My gut tells me they were just trying to find an excuse. If I was the owner I would be kicking up some terrible stink with the council as I'm presuming they have to use the filtered water for cooking too.

I'm living on the same street and heard nothing about contaminated water!

I was in Lana about two weeks ago and asked for tap water and they said they didn't give tap water but I could get sparkling water for a euro. I went along with it but I was wondering if it's legal not to supply tap water. I don't think I've ever been in a place where tap water isn't readily supplied when requested.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Any examples? Always looking for good places to try for lunch etc.

Cafe Rose on Roches St, the Buttery on Bedford Row, Aribica on Shannon St, La Cucina on Henry St. I haven't been to H&L or the Red Hen but guys at work like them.

I absolutely love Taikichi on O'Connell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

I absolutely love Taikichi on O'Connell St.

+1 for Taikichi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Wouldn't be a fan of sushi but my brother is obsessed after living in NYC for years and he rates it very highly when he comes to visit.

Wouldn't be a fan of sushi but my brother is obsessed after living in NYC for years and he rates it very highly when he comes to visit.

It's not just a sushi restaurant, they have lots more on offer besides sushi.

It's not just a sushi restaurant, they have lots more on offer besides sushi.

I know that, I actually had japanese restaurant written but changed it was their sushi he rated.

I'm not a fan of sushi, but I do like Taikichi (except for the ridiculously cramped window seat).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

So I have to say it. Hook and Ladder is gone to the dogs... We go there every week and the last say 5 or 6 times the order has been wrong or we're charged for something we didn't get or our order doesn't arrive or part of it doesn't come. The food is still great but seriously wondering if it's worth the hassle anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Taikichi is great alright.

So I have to say it. Hook and Ladder is gone to the dogs... We go there every week and the last say 5 or 6 times the order has been wrong or we're charged for something we didn't get or our order doesn't arrive or part of it doesn't come. The food is still great but seriously wondering if it's worth the hassle anymore.

Which one? Can't say the same.

I eat in their Castletroy place quite regularly, and I have never experienced any of the above issues. Their queuing policy kind of annoys me, but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Which one? Can't say the same.
    I eat in their Castletroy place quite regularly, and I have never experienced any of the above issues. Their queuing policy kind of annoys me, but that's about it.

The Castletroy one. Maybe we're really really unlucky because there was never once and issue before a few months ago. The food is still great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

I went to the Jasmine on Friday night for the buffet with a group. All of the starters were over cooked and dry. Most of them were lukewarm too.

Jasmine is great for a la carte or at least it has been, but I was extremely disappointed by the buffet, especially when you always hear good things about it.

I prefer quality over quantity so maybe buffet's just aren't for me.

Advertisement