Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

gotasmoke wrote: »
    I went to the Jasmine on Friday night for the buffet with a group. All of the starters were over cooked and dry. Most of them were lukewarm too.

Jasmine is great for a la carte or at least it has been, but I was extremely disappointed by the buffet, especially when you always hear good things about it.

I prefer quality over quantity so maybe buffet's just aren't for me.

They used to only do the buffet on a Sunday which was always good anytime i went. It was always busy on a Sunday too which is good thing as you know the buffet hasnt been sitting there all day.

However my friends went in last week (mid-week) and had a choice of a la carte or buffet. they chose a la carte but they said it was very evident that the food came from the buffet. It wasnt very busy at the time but the food was pretty poor and they felt it had been sitting there a long time.. When you pay more for a la carte you expect good food not buffet.

The Jasmine and Nancy Blakes are two of a kind. They have had the run of Limerick for a long time but the standards of pubs and restaurants has gone up. Its a slippery slope downhill if this continues for them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Did the a la carte in the jasmine before Xmas and it was pretty poor. Used to be good, but was shocked at how bad the food and service was.
    Wouldn't be rushing back..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I've never tried the Castletroy oene but town H&L is pretty good consistently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Boradriver

I've been to ZoZabb (over The Glen Tavern) several times over the past few weeks and I can't recommend the place highly enough. Proper authentic thai food at great prices. Pad Thai and Massaman Beef are just superb. Well worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Every time I try Hook and Ladder Sarsfield. Street it has been a disaster. Shockingly bad service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Have to agree about H&L and their coffee ain't great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

Boradriver wrote: »
    I've been to ZoZabb (over The Glen Tavern) several times over the past few weeks and I can't recommend the place highly enough. Proper authentic thai food at great prices. Pad Thai and Massaman Beef are just superb. Well worth a try.

Just under a tenner for starter and main course, great value and very tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

On the H+L thing I've never had an issue with the food it's always top notch. Just exactly what food you get is a mystery...the service has gone to the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

damowill wrote: »
    They used to only do the buffet on a Sunday which was always good anytime i went. It was always busy on a Sunday too which is good thing as you know the buffet hasnt been sitting there all day.

However my friends went in last week (mid-week) and had a choice of a la carte or buffet. they chose a la carte but they said it was very evident that the food came from the buffet. It wasnt very busy at the time but the food was pretty poor and they felt it had been sitting there a long time.. When you pay more for a la carte you expect good food not buffet.

The Jasmine and Nancy Blakes are two of a kind. They have had the run of Limerick for a long time but the standards of pubs and restaurants has gone up. Its a slippery slope downhill if this continues for them...

What makes you think Nancys will start to fail out of interest?

During the Tiger years when all the new shiny pubs were opening they didn't panic, just kept tipping away doing what they do - can see the same thing happening during our next bubble. I don't think you get to where the owner is at with multiple successful premises without knowing a thing or two.

That said, the balance does seem to be moving away from 'The Market Quarter' (TM) back up town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I had lunch in Smyths today. Was quite nice and there was a fair amount of good in the plate. Hadn't been there in a couple of years but I can never recall ever getting bad food there. Money well spent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Copper and Spice last night , was unreal I love eating there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Haven't gone for dinner anywhere in town recently so it's probably best to ask... Where are people recommending lately?

I'm going to take the wife somewhere Friday night for mothers day so we can have peace instead of battling with our own and other peoples kids on Sunday. Decent pasta dishes for herself and probably a nice meat dish for myself would be preferable. I used to love the Hamptons a couple of years ago, is it still good?

Haven't gone for dinner anywhere in town recently so it's probably best to ask... Where are people recommending lately?

I'm going to take the wife somewhere Friday night for mothers day so we can have peace instead of battling with our own and other peoples kids on Sunday. Decent pasta dishes for herself and probably a nice meat dish for myself would be preferable. I used to love the Hamptons a couple of years ago, is it still good?

I'd recommend The Curraghgower. Its just top notch. Tuscany at the Granary is very good too. Hamptons is still good too imo. Other options The French Table (tho not cheap) or Azure

Can't beat la piccola in my humble opinion. I tried the french table recently and was VERY impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Pasta and meat, Tuscany would probably be your best bet. Food is quite tasty there and portions are usually generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Hamptons is still good imo. However, I'd have Azur, Freddies, and The French Table ahead of it (in that order). The French Table really is very good, and the menu is a bit different than most other offerings in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Tried la cucina tonight for the first time very disappointed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

maryk123 wrote: »
    Tried la cucina tonight for the first time very disappointed.

In town?Went last year got lasagne it was the meanest portion is ever seen for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭lazyman

Got a take away from copper and spice last night, spent €30 but they didn't include any comlimentay poppadoms, what is the norm with prawn cocktails or poppadoms?
    Usually go to poppadom in town and they always throw in a free portion, asked last night on collection for a portion and they charged me 1.20 for them.
    Surely there should be a complimentary portion with every take away??

bigpink wrote: »
    In town?Went last year got lasagne it was the meanest portion is ever seen for the price

me too. had the lasagne. portion size was very small .... and for the price!!

there was a big furoe about la cucina moving into the city. for the life of me i cant see why. people in castletroy must be badly stuck for places to eat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Each to their own - I was always happy with the food I received in Centro

I like it but it they are very mean portion wise. A chicken sandwich, which you only get half of the roll it was made in for €6/7 without so much as a few crisps or salad leaves is daylight robbery. Last time I went in I left hungry, that's just not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I like it but it they are very mean portion wise. A chicken sandwich, which you only get half of the roll it was made in for €6/7 without so much as a few crisps or salad leaves is daylight robbery. Last time I went in I left hungry, that's just not good enough.

I know La Cucina can be very divisive on here, but the portions really are pathetic. All the marketing and social-media bombast cannot mask the fact that the place is a bit of a rip-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Anyone been to East room in UL ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Finally made it in to Boojum.

Maybe not the ideal venue for kids (ours are 2.5 years and 5.5 years) so the usual chaos management took away from my overall dining experience as always :D

But...the food was extremely tasty imho and filling in a nice way without leaving me all bloaty and stuffed.

The lads made a decent effort of attacking their fajitas in fairness, and I was on hand to ensure that very little went to waste ;)

It would be nice to maybe have a Children's Menu but I guess it's not really their target audience I guess.

Overall, would be happy to recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Went to Volcano (wings restaurant) on High Street last night, the first time I had their food was delivery.

They have easily the best wings in Limerick, my favourite is the peppercorn, followed by the honey garlic. A must if you like your wings. My partner is American and she says there as good as any she’s had in the States.

Also, the boys at Mother Macs across the road use their food for their Wings night.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Hi,

I have a friend visiting in a couple of weeks who's a vegetarian and I would love to take her out somewhere in Limerick but have no idea which restaurants might have a good choice for vegetarians. I don't think there are any fully vegetarian restaurants here, or am I wrong.

Any suggestions?

Jane98 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a friend visiting in a couple of weeks who's a vegetarian and I would love to take her out somewhere in Limerick but have no idea which restaurants might have a good choice for vegetarians. I don't think there are any fully vegetarian restaurants here, or am I wrong.

Any suggestions?

I believe the old fire station is the best in town for that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Jane98 wrote: »
    Hi,

Any suggestions?

Why would anyone be friends with a vegetarian?

• Advertisement

Why would anyone be friends with a vegetarian?

Ah now that's not fair. Vegetarians are people too.. Vegans though are another matter!:pac::pac::pac::p:p

Advertisement