Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The Old Firestation is veggie. The lunches are light enough. I've never had an evening meal there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

I have a 10yo daughter who is coeliac, anyone have any recommendations for restaurants in the city? tnx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I have a 10yo daughter who is coeliac, anyone have any recommendations for restaurants in the city? tnx

Most decent restaurants will cater for coeliacs, just let your server know, they can then check with the chef,
    Milano's do a gluten free pizza, Freddy's Bistro will be coeliac friendly I'd say, AFAIK the owner or one of the owners is coeliac

Mrs naughtysmurf is coeliac & always gets sorted wherever she eats out, decent chefs / restaurants can tweak menus to suit,

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

So we tried the Westward Ho in Mungret this evening. It was quiet when we went in about 3 tablea occuppies around 4.30. From recollection about 8 starters and 10 mains for your choosing. Most startera around the €8-9 mark which isnt cheap. I had the chicken wings and was well impressed. Must have been 10 wings in the bowl. Big and juicy and a nice helping of blue cheese dip. Mrs had the ribs which were nice but not falling off the bone. I had the burger which was fantastic. Mrs had fish and chips and fish was large and well cooked. Big chunky chips. Plenty of them. Stuffed. Both mains were €16. Looked at dessert menu but couldnt face anything. €5.50. The waitress mentioned new 2 course for 20 or 3 for 25 which would have been great value. We paid 50 for the 2 courses each. Not incl tip. Starter prices are a bit on tbe high side but considerig the portion of wings I got I was happy to pay it. Nice comfortable seats. Lovely decor. Hopefully the place does well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

^^^

I have had the burger in there, Westward Ho and found it way too compacted, made it chewy. Wife had the wings same day, as a main, and too much sauce, goes to show opinions differ, which is great.

Had the burger in the Tap House in Annacotty, formerly O'Connels and before that Synotts and would put it as one of the best burgers i have ever eaten...and i have had my fair share...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I highly rate the westward ho, all the curragower niceness with none of the parking issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Sorry but meant to say the 2 and 3 course deal is only monday to thursday in the Westward Ho.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Opinions please on the best pizza in Limerick.

A few recommended Gino's on Denmark St. but it was bland, not enough sauce, uses sausage instead of pepperoni, just really very very average.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Have yet to find a pizza that's much better than edible unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Cobblestone Joes pizza isn't bad.
    I like the calzone in La Cucina.
    Haven't had it but some of the kebab place Turkuaz in particular get comments from mates of mine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Opinions please on the best pizza in Limerick.

A few recommended Gino's on Denmark St. but it was bland, not enough sauce, uses sausage instead of pepperoni, just really very very average.

Gino's is a unique experience alright. Did you get a bit of pepper on the pizza?

I reckon the best (authentic) pizza in Limerick is in LaPiccola Pizzeria and/or LaCucina

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

The pizza in Da Vincenzo is lovely

Thanks guys, I’ve had pizza at Da Vincenzo, again, it’s only alright, but maybe I should try again.

The pizza in Da Vincenzo is lovely

I'd disagree, we've had it loads of times in work and its only alright. I'd prefer a Papa Gino's over what we've got from Da Vincenzo
    Thanks guys, I’ve had pizza at Da Vincenzo, again, it’s only alright, but maybe I should try again.

Nah I wouldnt bother - waste of money

Pizza in Da Vincenzo is pretty good. Better than La Cucina in my opinion. (Sorry McLove)

zulutango wrote: »
    Pizza in Da Vincenzo is pretty good. Better than La Cucina in my opinion. (Sorry McLove)

It's open to opinion no need to apologise, but i wouldnt be paying for it. Grand that we get it for free in work.

Can't remember - do Cobblestone Joe's make their own pizzas in house? Agree with the previous poster who said they're not bad, but again that's about the height of it.

They're tasty enough but the base is totally flat and soggy. Good pizza typically has the 'cornicione' which is the bubbles in the crust. The base flopping over when you pick up a slice usually means the oven isn't hot enough so far as I know.

Haven't been to Da Vincenzo's or La Piccola yet, must give them a try.

Cobblestone Joe's pizzas are not good at all. But if you're having a few beers and are hungry they go down well enough. The atmosphere is good there though.

Unfortunately, it appears there is no outstanding pizza in Limerick :(

Unfortunately, it appears there is no outstanding pizza in Limerick :(

In your opinion entirely

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    In your opinion entirely

It doesn't seem as though anyone here holds the opposite opinion unfortunately.

keane2097 wrote: »
    It doesn't seem as though anyone here holds the opposite opinion unfortunately.

Bar me obviously

Bar me obviously

Sorry, which place was your pick again? I had looked back and the only thing I saw you saying was that Gino's was a unique experience!

keane2097 wrote: »
    Sorry, which place was your pick again? I had looked back and the only thing I saw you saying was that Gino's was a unique experience!

LaPiccola Pizzeria or LaCucina

• Registered Users Posts: 38 daisyday121

Went for breakfast in Katie Daly's this week, it was delicious. Don't often take to social media to praise places, but would highly recommend, especially the bacon, divine!

Must give it a go. I went for a pint there lately and thought it was very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

LaPiccola Pizzeria or LaCucina

Both average at best, lapiccola have a few nice pasta dishes and a very good chicken parmigiana but the pizza isn’t great,
    There’s no good pizza in limerick, it’s a crying shame, I had excellent pizza in Gort, Gort last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Had forgotten about the pizza in Papaz very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

The Stone Oven Bistro in Caherconlish does the best pizza I've had outside of Italy :-)

Well worth a look if you're ever in the vicinity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

There was an Italian restaurant just off the Dock Road and it had the most amazing pizza I'd ever tasted full stop and I only got to try it twice before it closed down, 1st for refurbishments then it just never reopened I can't remember the name of it now , but it was around the corner from Limerick 95 offices

Advertisement