Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guy Doing Commerce?

Options
  • 07-03-2009 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Commerce is something I might do, but is it primarily a course full of women? Is it a good course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I'm in business studies in UL which is from what I hear from people doing commerce in UCC the exact same.

Anyway theres about 600 in business in my year and i'd say almost 400 of them are women. Doesn't make the slightest difference to be honest and I'm sure its the same down in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

1huge1 wrote: »
    I'm in business studies in UL which is from what I hear from people doing commerce in UCC the exact same.

Anyway theres about 600 in business in my year and i'd say almost 400 of them are women. Doesn't make the slightest difference to be honest and I'm sure its the same down in Cork.

+ 1

Im doing Com and French in UCC and ya it really doesnt matter. The majority are women but its not intimidating or anything!

Tho in my class theres 24 - 16 women and 8 guys but thats more to do with the french bit, in Com straight twud be a lot closer.

I'd defo recommend com and french tho, its a good balance as its not all business stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭deisedude

Commerce is definately the course to do. I'm in 2nd year now and the class is pretty much 50-50 split between guys and girls

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭XboxHero

Cool stuff, thanks for the speedy replies. I fully intend doing Commerce with French if I get the points. Glad to hear it's a good course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

XboxHero wrote: »
    Cool stuff, thanks for the speedy replies. I fully intend doing Commerce with French if I get the points. Glad to hear it's a good course.

Good choice my friend! :D

Also someone PM'd me about the course, i've lost the message :(
    So if they PM me again il get back to them straight away with info, apologies again! :o

• Advertisement

+ 1

Im doing Com and French in UCC and ya it really doesnt matter. The majority are women but its not intimidating or anything!

Tho in my class theres 24 - 16 women and 8 guys but thats more to do with the french bit, in Com straight twud be a lot closer.

I'd defo recommend com and french tho, its a good balance as its not all business stuff :)
    Im doing business with german actrually and can really second that, theres 18 doing business and german in 1st year in UL and 14 are girls and once again it really doesn't make the slightest difference.

Really recommend doing it with a language too, really adds to the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

XboxHero wrote: »
    Commerce is something I might do, but is it primarily a course full of women?

And that would be a problem because ...? :D

I'm not sure about UCC, but I think most colleges Commerce/Business Studies is roughly two thirds wimmens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

It really doesn't matter whether it's mainly guys or girls - if you want to do the course, do it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

It really doesn't matter whether it's mainly guys or girls - if you want to do the course, do it. :)

Fully agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭CommieBaz

Couldn't be more true. If you feel uncomfortable with that higher lady ratio, imagine being stuck in a course like nursing, where you could count the number of male students on one hand!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I have a friend doing Nutritional Science and she told me that there's one guy in the whole class!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭CommieBaz

I have a friend doing Nutritional Science and she told me that there's one guy in the whole class!

Now that I did not expect! Thats gotta be a record...unless there are any UCC courses with only one gender in them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭fredmc

I think Early Childhood Studies is mostly women, but there's probably more than 1 guy doing it.
    deisedude wrote: »
    Commerce is definately the course to do. I'm in 2nd year now and the class is pretty much 50-50 split between guys and girls

Declan?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

1huge1 wrote: »
    Anyway theres about 600 in business in my year
    Is this the same in both UCC and UL? These numbers put me off a bit! Im only in 5th yr but im also thinking of one of these courses.

Well I'm sure the layout of the courses is the same as is the degree.
    As for class sizes I really couldn't say.

For our larger lectures were put into the university concert hall which can fit over 1000. It really shouldn't put you off though as it is a good learning environment and as well as that you will be in tutorials with under 20 people and thats where most of the learning is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Is this the same in both UCC and UL? These numbers put me off a bit! Im only in 5th yr but im also thinking of one of these courses.

Numbers fair shouldn't put you off! You're not gonna be lecturing the classes. If you want to do the course, do the course!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

CommieBaz wrote: »
    Now that I did not expect! Thats gotta be a record...unless there are any UCC courses with only one gender in them?

In 2nd year occupational therapy its like 26 girls NO guys :eek: couldnt handle that myself....

and i am a girl:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭deisedude

fredmc wrote: »
    I think Early Childhood Studies is mostly women, but there's probably more than 1 guy doing it.

Declan?

Stalker? IF i knew someone was watching me undress i'd sex it up a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭fredmc

deisedude wrote: »
    Stalker? IF i knew someone was watching me undress i'd sex it up a bit

Did you see the game last night?

Advertisement