Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building a pc help required

Options
  • 07-03-2009 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

i was just looking for some advice on building a pc , its my first time doing this and im a bit in awh at wat to do. is it as hard as it looks. i herd komplett.ie is a good site to work from but is there any others . thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Well it all depends on what you are buying, Pixmania can be a good price competitor to Komplett.

so can:

www.dabs.ie
    www.misco.ie

But i cant stress enough how important it is to doing your homework on the parts before you buy them! Make sure theyre all compatible with each other. I dont really know how "techy" you are so i cant really help much... Google is your friend tho so remember that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Daemonica

Hi dude. My advice would be to ignore komplett completely. They're bascially crap. Everything me and my associates bought from them ended up breaking or overheating. Use Overclockers.co.uk to order stuff from. Look up some sites on how to build the computer, unless you know what you are doing, it will overheat and die very quickly.

First off, what are you using the computer for? Games I'm assuming.

The first thing you need is a processor. Any of the high end Intel ones are pretty good, Quad Core if you can afford it, otherwise an overlocked Core 2 Duo would suffice.

Next is a motherboard. NForces is good. Anything with lots of PCI 16x slots is good.

Next is RAM. Get 4 Gigs of whatever corsair ram you need. Doesn't really matter about speed since generally the selectable options online are pretty decent all rounders.

Next is windows. Get Vista 64bit. It can use all your ram properly (but not too effectively).

Next is the the graphics card. Any high end nVidia / ATI would do here. Anything dx10 and upwards with about a gig of ram is usually very decent.

Next is the power supply. 1000w PSU here. Don't buy lower then that, the card and quad core can burn through one pretty quickly.

Add whatever storage you need to the bunch too, ie hard drives, media drives.

Next is the chasis. Get a decent chasis that is properly ventilated. No point in buying that Alienwarelike case with no vents in it. Be sure you have enough room too.

Then it is a case of the assembly. This is actually the easiest part of it all. Just wire everything up, cap everything off, screw it all together and switch the monster on.

Then prepare for hours and hours of driver updates.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Daemonica wrote: »
    Hi dude. My advice would be to ignore komplett completely. They're bascially crap. Everything me and my associates bought from them ended up breaking or overheating. Use Overclockers.co.uk to order stuff from. Look up some sites on how to build the computer, unless you kow what you are doing, it will overheat and die very quickly.
    You do realise komplett don't make the products they just sell them. Where you buy a product from has no impact on the quality of the product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 university god

is there a good mother board to start with that wont require me to do this all over again in the near future

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Daemonica wrote: »
    First off, what are you using the computer for? Games I'm assuming.

The first thing you need is a processor. Any of the high end Intel ones are pretty good, Quad Core if you can afford it, otherwise an overlocked Core 2 Duo would suffice.

Next is a motherboard. NForces is good. Anything with lots of PCI 16x slots is good.

Next is RAM. Get 4 Gigs of whatever corsair ram you need. Doesn't really matter about speed since generally the selectable options online are pretty decent all rounders.

Next is windows. Get Vista 64bit. It can use all your ram properly (but not too effectively).

Next is the the graphics card. Any high end nVidia / ATI would do here. Anything dx10 and upwards with about a gig of ram is usually very decent.

Next is the power supply. 1000w PSU here. Don't buy lower then that, the card and quad core can burn through one pretty quickly.

Add whatever storage you need to the bunch too, ie hard drives, media drives.

Next is the chasis. Get a decent chasis that is properly ventilated. No point in buying that Alienwarelike case with no vents in it. Be sure you have enough room too.

Then it is a case of the assembly. This is actually the easiest part of it all. Just wire everything up, cap everything off, screw it all together and switch the monster on.

Then prepare for hours and hours of driver updates.

Please don't listen to this guy or you'll waste all your money on crap you don't need. You don't need lots of pcie x16 slots unless you plan on using sli/crossfire which you should only really be thinking about if you're looking at a 24" monitor or bigger. Even then I would recommend a very good single card.

1000w power supply is complete overkill.

nVidia chipsets aren't all that good. Only get one if you insist on sli. Motherboards that use an intel chipset would be better.

We really need a budget and a list of things you plan on doing with the pc. Also if you have any components you plan on using for this one (e.g. your existing monitor etc.).

• Advertisement

i would be using the unit for mainly gaming with the other bit of college work thrown in. my budget would be anywhere from 1000 to 1500 if it required that much. is it best to stay with the intel processors or are the others better, i was looking at the intel i7 processor which looks good its a quad core i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Just to let ya know that is just a bundle, it doesnt have a graphics card, power supply or case... But it a good start,

You might be better off buying a bundle like that and just adding th eothers...Again make sure everything is compatible, if your unsure you can post on boards!

with that bundle can i put it together with my current pc which is a dell, the only thing i wound be re using from my current system would be the hard drive(this would save me installing an operating system) and casing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

dell hardware is often non user friendly to upgrade.

also, if your using your old harddrive, it might not be very fast read/write speed, and perhaps you should concider a few bucks for a new 1.
    you wont be able to stick it all together and get windows to boot properly as windows was installed on your old dell computer using the dell hardware. all driver's and everything else will constantly think the old hardware is still there and not work properly.

my advice is really to get a new harddrive and re-install windows on it using the new hardware.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Please don't listen to this guy

+1.

I like the Thanks button, but sometimes I really wish there was a FAIL button that could be pressed by people who actually knew what they were talking about could push to let others know exactly how not to "advise" someone. Cruel but given a certain incredibly bizarre and misleading post earlier possibly well deserved :p
    i would be using the unit for mainly gaming with the other bit of college work thrown in

Then you probably won't need a quad - much less an i7! A decent dual-core or maybe something like the X3-720BE will be much more suitable, especially if you intend to overclock at some point in the future (and the 720BE and E8400 are good stock performers anyway!). Quad-cores are great for hardcore applications and multimedia but with most games still only using 1-2 cores most of your power is going to waste, especially when you consider that quads tend to be slightly less stable and clock lower than dual- or tri-core CPUs. And I don't think MS Office 2007 counts as "hardcore applications" :D

If you like OCUK bundles then this bundle seems a fair bit cheaper, no? Well, it'll probably outperform the more expensive bundle in games :P

Advertisement